Eagletac G25C2 (XM-L, 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS+

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac must be listening ... they will send me a update T20C2 MKII XM-L to compare as well. :wave:

cha!!! :rock:

Would you then be going to update your T20C2 XP-G R5 review by adding full measurement graphs in all of the existing Excel graphs (and tables)? That's hell lotta work!! :eek:

The XM-L U2 module has a SMO reflector and no label sticker or similar marking on the module itself, maybe you can confirm this then, thanks!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Would you then be going to update your T20C2 XP-G R5 review by adding full measurement graphs in all of the existing Excel graphs (and tables)? That's hell lotta work!! :eek:
Yup, I would redo all the testing, so will post new output/throw summary tables, runtime graphs, and white wall beamshots (plus pics of the module itself). :wave:

Oh, and for those who are interested, here is out my Neutral White G25C2 compares to other lights on my new lightmeter:

G25C2-FL1-Summary1-1.gif

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Help!

I have two Eagletac G25C flashlights one running on 1 Eagletac 18650 the other on two Eagletac 18650 Lithium-ion batteries rated at 3100 mAh.

With both flashlights I have not been able to switch from 'Tactical Mode' to 'Regular Mode'.

I have fully read the instructions and have cleaned all contacts; can anyone write what I might not be doing wrong?

I might add that these EagletacG25C's are used for high output use; I use other flashlights for lower lumen use. Nevertheless I am puzzled by this problem.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
With both flashlights I have not been able to switch from 'Tactical Mode' to 'Regular Mode'.
I have fully read the instructions and have cleaned all contacts; can anyone write what I might not be doing wrong?
Are you sure you are starting from the second mode (i.e. the Lo level on the default tactical group)? All you need to do is flash the tailswitch rapidly >20 times, starting from off. It worked perfectly for me. You may not be flashing quick enough (note you don't need to actually click).

BTW, as an aside, if anyone has trouble getting the light to come on, check your clip ring cover. The manual has a big notice about this right at the top of the troubleshooting section (which I see now). Because the cover screws on, if it unscrews significantly, it can block the tailcap from screwing down all the way. It happened to me today, and took me a few mins to figure out.

Last edited:

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure you are starting from the second mode (i.e. the Lo level on the default tactical group)? All you need to do is flash the tailswitch rapidly >20 times, starting from off. It worked perfectly for me. You may not be flashing quick enough (note you don't need to actually click).

BTW, as an aside, if anyone has trouble getting the light to come on, check your clip ring cover. The manual has a big notice about this right at the top of the troubleshooting section (which I see now). Because the cover screws on, if it unscrews significantly, it can block the tailcap from screwing down all the way. It happened to me today, and took me a few mins to figure out.

Yes, I was starting from the second level as per instructions, but I was doing 20 clicks.

I was able to switch modes by rapidly turning the switch 'on & off' without the click and very rapidly! I was able to switch on to the 'Regular Mode' by my second attempt. The key operation is 'rapidly'.

Thank you so much for your help; I am 68 years old and I must be slowing down more than I thought. ;)

Edit: I also had the problem with the light not working after I removed the pocket clip on my extended two 18650 version of the Eagletac G25C. It only took a minute for me to see the ring above the clip was not seated and quickly fixed this problem.

Last edited:

benhar

Newly Enlightened
Sure, it is a solid light. Personally, I like mode memory (i.e., I typically don't use Max output that often). Also, I'm very sensitive to PWM (which the XT11 has, but the G25C2 doesn't).

You might be interested in the Klarus RS11 ... I will be reviewing that one soon, and it does have mode memory.

Just read your RS11 review... very nice light, but the deciding factor for me is the electronic switch. I want to be able to use "momentary on" indefinitely, not have it switch over after 3 seconds (kinda contradictory, I know, but that's how I use my lights sometimes). So, EagleTac it is. Thanks again!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just read your RS11 review... very nice light, but the deciding factor for me is the electronic switch. I want to be able to use "momentary on" indefinitely, not have it switch over after 3 seconds (kinda contradictory, I know, but that's how I use my lights sometimes). So, EagleTac it is. Thanks again!
Yes, it is hard to beat a physical forward clicky for the intuitive and simple true momentary press and click for lock-on. Some electronic switches manage to approximate this fairly well, but the RS11 is not one of them unfortunately.

JML

Enlightened
Another excellent review!

As far as the EagleTac pouches go, I was worried that the exposed metal of the snap, on the inside, would abrade the anodized finish of the light. So I took some industrial-strength adhesive black Velcro, cut a disk of the loop material to be slightly larger than the circular snap, and stuck it over the exposed metal. The industrial strength Velcro adhesive is far stronger than the garden-variety adhesive Velcro, and should hold for a long time. It protects the light from contact with the snap. The loop texture is very similar to the flocking of the inside of the pouch, and when in place the patch is virtually invisible.

Last edited:

sierra 18

Newly Enlightened
I just bought this flashlight, which is enroute to me now. I had seen a number of reviews online, but this is by far the most comprehensive.

I have one quick question, forgive me if I missed the answer in the body of your review, but which battery (brand and size) would you most recommend for this model? I see where battery size and contact tolerances can be an issue, so I'd like to be certain before I invest in a set of rechargeable lithium ion batteries for this light.

Again, thanks for the outstanding review,

Best,

Chris

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I have one quick question, forgive me if I missed the answer in the body of your review, but which battery (brand and size) would you most recommend for this model? I see where battery size and contact tolerances can be an issue, so I'd like to be certain before I invest in a set of rechargeable lithium ion batteries for this light.
The diameter seems fine for all my protected 18650 cells. You just need to avoid the true flat-tops cells, which may not work. Any of the quality button top (small or wide button top) should be fine.

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
The diameter seems fine for all my protected 18650 cells. You just need to avoid the true flat-tops cells, which may not work. Any of the quality button top (small or wide button top) should be fine.

Even the 18650 Keeppower 3100mAh which at 69.7mm which is among the tallest 18650's work with my Eagletac lights. :thumbsup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Just noticed an interesting little quirk with the design of this light.

Changed the battery yesterday, and light wouldn't come on. Thought it was the tailcap at first, since the light worked fine when shorted at the tail. But that wasn't it - the threaded plastic ring that covers the clip attachment point had apparently loosened slightly, and was blocking the tailcap from screwing down all the way. Due to anodized threads, the light was thus stuck in lock-out mode.

So if you mysteriously find your G25C2 not working one day, double-check to make sure the thread clip cover is screwed down all the way. Note this potential problem is likely to be found on any light that uses a threaded pocket clip cover ring, not just the G25C2. :shrug:

Last edited:

chouster

Newly Enlightened
Hi Selfbuilt, what happened to the cool white version Eagletac wanted to send you for a review? Maybe they could/should send you the MarkII now for a review. I would love to see you do a review of this new version and compare it to other single 18650 Xm-l lights like the TN11, T20CS, XT11 or the Scorpion V2 U2. I lost my Scorpion V2 T6 and now I'm not sure if I should buy it again or some of the others i mentioned. Your reviews were always the best readings to make a decision. By the way, are you happy with the tint on your neutral white version? Come on Eagletac, send this man a G25C2 MKII!

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed an interesting little quirk with the design of this light.

Changed the battery yesterday, and light wouldn't come on. Thought it was the tailcap at first, since the light worked fine when shorted at the tail. But that wasn't it - the threaded plastic ring that covers the clip attachment point had apparently loosened slightly, and was blocking the tailcap from screwing down all the way. Due to anodized threads, the light was thus stuck in lock-out mode.

So if you mysteriously find your G25C2 not working one day, double-check to make sure the thread clip cover is screwed down all the way. Note this potential problem is likely to be found on any light that uses a threaded pocket clip cover ring, not just the G25C2. :shrug:

I also found a quirk in my G25C2 when using the longer Keeppower 18650 3100 mAh battery.

When I put in the battery the switch would not work even after checking the threaded clip ring. All that was needed to do was lossen the front head and then tighten. The head contols how short or long the 18650 battery that can be used. :thumbsup:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi Selfbuilt, what happened to the cool white version Eagletac wanted to send you for a review? Maybe they could/should send you the MarkII now for a review. I would love to see you do a review of this new version and compare it to other single 18650 Xm-l lights like the TN11, T20CS, XT11 or the Scorpion V2 U2. I lost my Scorpion V2 T6 and now I'm not sure if I should buy it again or some of the others i mentioned. Your reviews were always the best readings to make a decision. By the way, are you happy with the tint on your neutral white version? Come on Eagletac, send this man a G25C2 MKII!
I haven't heard from them in awhile, so will check in about the MK-II version. The neutral white version of the MK-I was a fairly typical neutral white tint, not sure what tint bin. As always, tint preference is just that - it comes down to what you like, and the Eagletac's neutral was about typical for that category.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Selfbuilt, a quick question on battery choice. I noticed that in your review you used an AW 2200 mah. I plan on getting the 1030 Lumen G25 so I was just wondering if an eagletac 3400mah would perform just as well if not better than the AW you used in your review. I know AW batteries are rated at pretty high discharge rates (up to 5A always) while the eagletac 18650s are rated at 4-5a. Im sure runtime on the 1030 lumen model with 3400 mah would yield higher runtime overall on lower modes but on high mode would it do just as well? Sorry for the questions but Ive been using trustfire 18650s and they cut off much sooner than they should on my more powerful lights. Thanks in advance :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hi Selfbuilt, a quick question on battery choice. I noticed that in your review you used an AW 2200 mah. I plan on getting the 1030 Lumen G25 so I was just wondering if an eagletac 3400mah would perform just as well if not better than the AW you used in your review.
The only reasons I continue to use 2200mAh cells in my testing are for backward compatibility to older reviews, and maximum compatibility.

On the later point, I somtimes run across new lights that won't take the fatter and/or longer higher-capacity cells (like 3100mAh or 3400mAh cells). I always point this out in my reviews. But it would cause a real issue for runtime testing, as I wouldn't have anything to compare them to if I didn't use a standard cell that worked in everything.

The only thing with the G25C2 is that you need to have button-top cells, and some people have reported issues with the longer-style cells. I haven't tested the 3400mAh Eagletacs personally.

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
So you dont believe I will have any cutoff issues due to high discharge rates?

sidecross

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Eagletac G25C2 & G25C2 Mll and the Eagletac 3100mAh and Eagletac 3400mAh work fine in these lights.

On on G25C2 I use an extension tube and run two KeepPower 3100mAh batteries; these are among the longest 18650 batteries. I have had no problem with this set up.

As a sidenote my Nitecore TM15 runs fine with the tall KeepPower 3100mAh batteries.

PCS

Newly Enlightened
On on G25C2 I use an extension tube and run two KeepPower 3100mAh batteries; these are among the longest 18650 batteries. I have had no problem with this set up.

My experience was similar to sidecross's. I tested by G25C2 MKII with an Eagletac 3400mAh cell yesterday, and it fit and worked. I also tested the light, without the extension tube, with a single KeepPower 3100mAh cell. It was a tighter fit as the cell is quite long. It did fit, however, and worked fine.