EagleTac P20A2 & P20C2 Mark II (XP-G R5) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

Toughguy

Newly Enlightened
Re: EagleTac P20A2 & P20C2 Mark II (XP-G R5) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

I've got my P20C2 MK II SMO for a week and been very impressed with its great looking, well machined and reletively compact size.
I am also very satisfied with the whole lot light it provides.
I use one UltraFire 17670 1800mAh protected cell and it seems brighter than my T20C2 MK II using one UltraFire 18650 3000mAh cell. But this are just for my samples. I also got P10C and T10C, I do like the design and they are all great lights.

kosio_t55

Newly Enlightened
Re: EagleTac P20A2 & P20C2 Mark II (XP-G R5) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

Has anyone bought the P20C2 MII XP-E Q4? I already have the XP-G P20 and it's probably my favorite light in it's size but since getting a ZL SC50w I'm on bit of a neutral tint binge, is the Q4 available with the OP reflector or SMO only. What does the XP-E Q4 beam look like in the P20 with a smooth reflector is there a lot of rings?

There is little to know info that I have been able to find on the neutral tint P20 MII so who has one that can comment?

Hi there,
A few weeks ago the module of my P20C2 MkII developed a problem (see my thread here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/274058 ), and I decided to buy a neutral module for it, since I was very happy with my Neutral White T20C2 MkII. I have to point out that Nicole from Eagletac has been very kind to resolve the problem with the module! Thanks, Nicole :wave:
Finally, yesterday I managed to take a few pics of the two modules. Unfortunately, my camera does not have enough control over the white balance settings but I tried my best. Here are two pics of the beams - T20C2 MkII NW on the left, P20C2 MkII NW on the right - both with OP reflectors.

:oops: Hu-u-uh, problem, how do I upload the pics? Do I need to upload them on a website first? That would be ... unreasonable, now that I think of it !

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast

No problem Kosio don't worry about the pics I already received my Q4 drop-in but thanks anyway. The tint is indeed nice and the throw is pretty good to.

You do have to upload pics to another site like ImageShack then generate a forum code and paste in your post, 800x800 pixels max.

sarguy

Newly Enlightened

Thanks as always for an awesome review. Is the pocket clip reversible for "head up" carry?

nonanon

Newly Enlightened

Does anyone have comparison of beam pattern of different reflectors available, for P20C2 Mark II (XP-G R5), i.e. OP vs LOP with regards to the 'doughnut hole' that is seen with SMO?

Quote from one dealer's site:

'MKII Default Reflector is LOP (Light Orange Peel) for optimum balance between Throw and Beam quality. (You may select optional Orange Peel Reflector in Shopping Cart for smoother beam pattern)'. Other dealers are not aware that LOP exists.

LauraQ

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the support! :)

FYI, I've just updated the review with this pic and text:

P20C2II-16.jpg

For those of you wondering how to attach the wrist lanyard (above), you first must insert the lanyard clip ring on the tail section of the body, below the o-ring (basically, between the o-ring and the stainless steel clip, or instead of the clip). You will need to take the o-ring off first to do this, since it is a tight fit.

New P20C2 owner here. I've tried this method of putting on the lanyard ring, but when I do this the light will not turn on. Removing the clip and then putting on the lanyard ring works, but I kind of want to keep the clip on there. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

shipwreck

Enlightened

I'm a brand new owner too - I REALLY like the light, though. Blows me away, and I was previously happy with my Inova XO3 and T2-Mp. Now, they don't do anything for me and are retired in favor of the Eagletacs (I also ordered the tactical version over the weekend).

I have the lanyard ring attached, but I removed the clip right away. In your case, it must keep you from tightening the tail cap all the way. Check your o-ring to make sure it is in place.

LauraQ

Newly Enlightened

I'm a brand new owner too - I REALLY like the light, though. Blows me away, and I was previously happy with my Inova XO3 and T2-Mp. Now, they don't do anything for me and are retired in favor of the Eagletacs (I also ordered the tactical version over the weekend).

I have the lanyard ring attached, but I removed the clip right away. In your case, it must keep you from tightening the tail cap all the way. Check your o-ring to make sure it is in place.

I think that's what is happening. I cranked it down tight, but still nothing. So, for now, no lanyard ring.

shipwreck

Enlightened

I found I did not like the clip - the lanyard is of much more use to me - although I am using the Inova lanyard - it doesn't have a clip and is smaller and thinner.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

New P20C2 owner here. I've tried this method of putting on the lanyard ring, but when I do this the light will not turn on. Removing the clip and then putting on the lanyard ring works, but I kind of want to keep the clip on there. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Hmm, that's odd - works fine on my sample to have both in place. But I guess tolerances vary with the degree the tailcap screws down. :shrug:

Have you tried unscrewing the switch retaining in the tailcap slightly? That may give you the extra clearance you need.

UPDATE: seems I spoke too soon - my sample won't light up either with both the ring and clip installed. And loosening the switch doesn't help - it is clearly designed to work with only one or the other.

Last edited:

LauraQ

Newly Enlightened

I found I did not like the clip - the lanyard is of much more use to me - although I am using the Inova lanyard - it doesn't have a clip and is smaller and thinner.

I have removed the clip and I'm trying it just with the lanyard ring and lanyard. Guess I can't have the best of both worlds : ) However, trying this light outside last night...it rocks! Awesome beam! I can't believe that much light comes out of this thing. I've found my new favorite light!

LauraQ

Newly Enlightened

Hmm, that's odd - works fine on my sample to have both in place. But I guess tolerances vary with the degree the tailcap screws down. :shrug:

Have you tried unscrewing the switch retaining in the tailcap slightly? That may give you the extra clearance you need.

Tried it, no go. Oh, well, not a deal breaker for me. I LOVE this light!

shipwreck

Enlightened

I have removed the clip and I'm trying it just with the lanyard ring and lanyard. Guess I can't have the best of both worlds : ) However, trying this light outside last night...it rocks! Awesome beam! I can't believe that much light comes out of this thing. I've found my new favorite light!

Yes, I am extremely satisfied with the output of it. It is my new EDC. The Tactical version of the light will be in today, and I plan to keep that by the nightstand.

My T2MP at 140 lumens was blinding me when I grabbed it in the middle of the night when I first woke up. I like the 60 lumen mode for by the bed, but the 300 lumen is great for outside.

lebox97

Enlightened

NOTE: loosening the switch retaining will cause erratic switching or no switching at all.

Loose switch ring used to be the number one customer problem I saw with the ET line ("erratic switching", "switch not working", etc) until I explained to customer how to tighten the ring as part of their routine maintenance, (this applies to many other light brands as well that uses a retaining ring)

I also now make it a habit to tighten ring before I ship out product.

This is why ET made retaining ring reverse threaded on the new style caps (MKII XP-G Models) - the ring now self-tightens over time rather than loosening due to the friction on ring from body with frequent cap removal/battery replacement.

Have you tried unscrewing the switch retaining in the tailcap slightly?
That may give you the extra clearance you need.

ummm, sounds like you need to work with the dealer who know their products? :shrug: :whistle:

SMO reflector as a dealer "default" is a carry over from the NON XP-G R5 models as they produced maximum LUX/Throw, albeit usually w/ ringy beam.

ET FACTORY Default since day one (and as you noted - my default too) with the XP-G models is LOP as it produces more LUX/Throw and better beam with the XP-G LED's than the SMO reflector does.

:thumbsup:
Tod

Does anyone have comparison of beam pattern of different reflectors available, for P20C2 Mark II (XP-G R5), i.e. OP vs LOP with regards to the 'doughnut hole' that is seen with SMO?

Quote from one dealer's site:
'MKII Default Reflector is LOP (Light Orange Peel) for optimum balance between Throw and Beam quality. (You may select optional Orange Peel Reflector in Shopping Cart for smoother beam pattern)'. Other dealers are not aware that LOP exists.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Hmm, just checked, and my P20C2-II doesn't light up with both rings installed. Sorry about that Laura, I thought I had checked that before taking the pic. I'll add a note to the review. The behaviour of your light is perfectly normal. :)

NOTE: loosening the switch retaining will cause erratic switching or no switching at all. ... This is why ET made retaining ring reverse threaded on the new style caps (MKII XP-G Models) - the ring now self-tightens over time rather than loosening due to the friction on ring from body with frequent cap removal/battery replacement.
Yes, I agree that it was a good choice to change to a reverse threading design. This is a common complain on most lights, not just eagletac. You frequently see people bashing lights for "breaking" within weeks of purchase here on CPF, when it many cases it is simply the switch retaining ring having worked itself loose. :sigh:

I hope more makers follow Eagletac's lead on reverse treading.

shipwreck

Enlightened

Thanks for the info on the tailcap - although I have the Mk II, so that seems to be a non issue as you report it. I did want to swop to the GITD tailcap cover, and I read the online instructions on how to do it.

But, I couldn't get the inside to loosen, and I didn't want to force it, so I gave up.

When did you stop including the impressions of Mrs. Selfbuilt?:nana: I always like to hear what non-enthusiasts think.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

When did you stop including the impressions of Mrs. Selfbuilt?:nana: I always like to hear what non-enthusiasts think.
Although I didn't inquire in this specific case, I know Mrs. Selfbuilt's general preference in the 2xCR123A class - she likes beefier lights, and so would go for the T20C2-II over the P20C2-II. :devil:

She also likes a simple interface, so the head twist here works. But she can't stand strobe/SOS modes, so probably wouldn't like the chance of accidentally activating it in this series (i.e. repeated tighten-loosen cycles can bring it out accidentally).

She also doesn't like these kinds of pocket clips, and would prefer to take it off and just use the holster for carry. :)

nonanon

Newly Enlightened

NOTE: SMO reflector as a dealer "default" is a carry over from the NON XP-G R5 models as they produced maximum LUX/Throw, albeit usually w/ ringy beam.

ET FACTORY Default since day one (and as you noted - my default too) with the XP-G models is LOP as it produces more LUX/Throw and better beam with the XP-G LED's than the SMO reflector does.

:thumbsup:
Tod

Tod, my confusion is with the OP reflector. Does it come in two versions? The dealer's site offers a choice of LOP or OP, or are they the same?

Latest posts