Eagletac SST50

eow1973

Newly Enlightened
Just got the M3C4 3xXPG from the local Eagletac dealer Brother Wong (philightsophy) this morning.
IMG_0271.jpg

Compared to the old M2XC4, it's more balanced in the hand. In terms of brightness, you really can't tell if the M3 is brighter but the beam is more pleasing to the eye. Overall, a nice companion when out walking in the night. Now, if only Eagletac had made a metal tail cover instead of a plastic one.

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
Maybe can ask Wong to compare the XPG and the SST-50 to see if it is indeed 409.26 OTF lumens.

nitric

Newly Enlightened
Maybe can ask Wong to compare the XPG and the SST-50 to see if it is indeed 409.26 OTF lumens.

dhouseng, i lost two shipment from 4sevens (3 nitecore extremes gone). hopefully yours ok. Have you check with Gadgetworld2u in lowyat.net? he is selling Olight (http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/871609). He is also selling Tiablo and Jetbeam (if im not mistaken)

Wong told me that the sst-50 (neutral white) is dimmer than the xpg version. he didnt try out the cool white version. i guessed he is too busy sending out all the orders. i received mine yesterday and tried it out last night. pretty nice beam, its like a semi thrower with decent spill.

Last edited:

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
Gadgetworld2u is not selling M31.

How is the tint? All emitters have same equal tint? Any purplish?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I don't normally release data on lights I'm testing until the reviews are complete, but I can see there's a lot angst here on the output of the M3C4 SST-50.

Rest assured, my review sample M3C4 (SST-50 cool white) is at least as bright as my M2C4 (SSC P7). Here's a quick summary table using my standard output measures, and throw measured from 5m:

M3C4-Summary.gif

And here are some outdoor beamshots, comparing both lights. As you will see, throw of the M3C4 SST-50 is much higher than my older M2C4:

M2C4-M3C4SST.gif

Additional info on the 3xR5 version will be included in my upcoming review.

Also, for those worried about the apparently low runtime on primary CR123A, Eagletac informs me that the the M3C4 circuit has a thermal protection feature. The light will dim or turn off should the internal circuit temperature arise to 120-130 degree celsius. If the thermal protection kicks in, just let the light to cool down a bit and the circuit will reset itself.

In my testing so far on Titanium Innovation cells (under a cooling fan), I have not been able to elicit these sorts of temperatures. But it is another line of evidence that suggests the other review sample may have been defective (i.e. running too hot, and at half the expected output).

My full review of my two M3C4 lights won't be done this week, should be out in ~2 weeks.

Last edited:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks selfbuilt. That is great to see those numbers. Clearly the other reviewer got a bad light.

jsr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something's not adding up right. According to the lightbox measured values, the SST-50 is on par with the other M2/M3-models. But the calculated Lumens is far off. Error in the Lumen conversion perhaps?

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
XP-G throws better than XR-E.

Seems like the new M3C4 is not brighter than the TK45 R4 sample.

Last edited:

nitric

Newly Enlightened
Gadgetworld2u is not selling M31.

How is the tint? All emitters have same equal tint? Any purplish?

i dont see any distinctive purplish tint. i think all the emitters have about the same tint.

Anyway, i tried it out across a piece of empty land, the width of a football field. it hit the trees at the other end despite the interference of street lights at the side.

selfbuilt, thanks for your findings.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
XP-G throws better than XR-E.
No, that's just what the lightmeter reports at 5m. In real life, the M2XC4 (3x XR-E R2 cool white) out-throws the M3C4 3x XP-G R5 Cool White. I will discuss this more in my eventual review. But since the pics are up in my 100-yard beamshot round-up, here is an animated GIF:

M2XC4-M3C4R5.gif

Seems like the new M3C4 is not brighter than the TK45 R4 sample.
Again, hard to say. Frankly, comparing outputs for different types of lights is a non-trivial task. Both my ceiling bounce and lightbox simply give crude estimates. The heads of these lights are quite different, producing different looking beams - hard to reconcile by any one measuring setup.

Last edited:

hotpotato

Newly Enlightened
hi, selfbuilt.

is the Ceiling Bounce Max value of 28 lux for the Catapult V2 from the room in the previous house? if so, it might be good to re-measure its CBM in the new room, which provided the values for the M3C4 lights.

mark.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
is the Ceiling Bounce Max value of 28 lux for the Catapult V2 from the room in the previous house? if so, it might be good to re-measure its CBM in the new room, which provided the values for the M3C4 lights.
I see my location habits are well-known. ;)

The Catapult above was not retested in the new house, but the 4 ET lights were. But I've found one room that gives nearly identical readings to the old one (you'll see the M2C4 and M2XC4 haven't changed much from my earlier reviews). However, that room will be starting renovations soon, so I plan to re-do all the ceiling bounce numbers once I have a suitable finalized space.

On the plus side, I should be able to get proper white wall beamshots by the end of the week ... currently priming the drywall in the evenings. :whistle: