EagleTac T20C2 and 18650's

age_ranger

Newly Enlightened
I had been running my EagleTac on 123's until my rechargeables arrived. Well, they arrived today and I picked up the Tenergy 2600's with the Tenergy multipurpose charger. Charging was a breeze and this evening I was able to fire up the RaidFire Spear. Run time was about 1 hour 45min before shutoff. I then wanted to check out the EagleTac and after putting in the batteries, it wouldn't turn on. I went through all the checks and nothing.........

After a few seconds I realized the positive end of the battery is not making contact with the spring at the head due to a black plastic ring around the brass plate on the spring at the head. What to do? I just bought 4 of these protected batteries and the charger and would like to use them. Should I modify the light or make an adapter for the positive end of the battery?

riccardo

Enlightened
plastic ring is working as mechanical protection for reverse polarity. If you remove it, you remove the protection. If you are sure you'll never insert the battery upside down go on..

DeadButAlive

Newly Enlightened
I've removed the plastic ring on all of my Eagletac drop-in modules - I used a pair of wire nippers to carefully cut away the edge of the black plastic ring until it basically pops off. Now they work even with my flat-top AW 2600mAh 18650's. I just have to be very careful about battery insertion from now on because I don't know if Eagletac uses any electronic reverse polarity protection or if they are relying on physical protection only - and I'm not really inclined to smoke one of my drop-ins to find out :faint:

Flashaholics_UK

Newly Enlightened
I've removed the plastic ring on all of my Eagletac drop-in modules - I used a pair of wire nippers to carefully cut away the edge of the black plastic ring until it basically pops off. Now they work even with my flat-top AW 2600mAh 18650's. I just have to be very careful about battery insertion from now on because I don't know if Eagletac uses any electronic reverse polarity protection or if they are relying on physical protection only - and I'm not really inclined to smoke one of my drop-ins to find out :faint:

They are relying on the plastic ring for protection, anyone who removes it needs to be very careful which direction the battery is inserted.

somename

Newly Enlightened
I've also heard you can leave the plastic ring in place and place a small magnet on the + end of the battery so it will make contact.

lebox97

Enlightened
yup, there is no protection built in to circuit AFAIK - and you removed the built in one...
and thus - voided your lifetime EagleTac warranty - :faint:

hopefully you don't have any issues,
but, they are inexpensive enough to buy if you need a new module.

it's not a question of if, but when...
with a flat top battery in the dark or in a hurry... :poof: