EagleTac T20C2 (Tactical RGB) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS, and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I found that the strobe doesn't trip if you were to quickly turn it off and then turn it back on if the previous on position was set at "low". For example, if the light is currently set to low and you quickly turn it off and back on again, it will not strobe.
You are right - good catch. I have just confirmed this on mine as well. Of course, if you do this off-on flash from Lo, you will wind up back in Turbo or General (i.e. wherever the head is located)

Note that this applies only to Lo - i.e. you need to do the rapid head switch first to get from Turbo or General to Lo. If you flash off-on in Turbo or General, you get strobed.

7k7k99

Newly Enlightened
for some reason, my T20C2 Neutral white does not seem as bright as my Surefire 6P with a Malkoff drop in

But I do like the RGB kit and the white diffuser. It was a ***** changing out the reflector, the factory installed one was super tight.

Andyy

Newly Enlightened
The coating on the cigar grip is falling off, and I haven't even starting using it.
And the strobe is very annoying, but it is a pretty good light

Tayous1

Newly Enlightened
I just talked to someone at illuminationGear. I was asking about a pouch that could fit on a duty belt when they said that!They might be getting new T20C2 with a new strobe on it I guess everyone saying they did not like the strobe on it Eagle Tac fixed it.

Last edited:

Andyy

Newly Enlightened
Well, mine is broken I think.
Whenever I turn off the light at "normal" mode it starts with strobe, no matter how long between it

Rod911

Enlightened
Whenever I turn off the light at "normal" mode it starts with strobe, no matter how long between it
Have you tried checking the charge on your battery? Mine did this as well when the voltage was running low. Either on tight or loose modes, it would randomly start strobing. After changing the battery with a fresh one, it was back to normal again.

Last edited:

Vesper

Enlightened

I had some funky strobe behaviors with mine. I figured out it was I had over-lubed the bezel threads and the excess grease was interfering with the current or something. When I cleaned it up inside and out it was fine again.

I care least about my T20C2 (the crazy strobe gets to me - should only come on when in max mode IMO), but this light ends up getting used the most. Go figure :thinking:. It's the one I leave near the kitchen and gets taken to the mailbox etc (I don't care if it gets dropped). :D

Andyy

Newly Enlightened
Have you tried checking the charge on your battery? Mine did this as well when the voltage was running low. Either on tight or loose modes, it would randomly start strobing. After changing the battery with a fresh one, it was back to normal again.
Tried it with 2x cr123 and with fresh charged (Eagletac)18650s, so that can't be the problem

gopurple

Newly Enlightened
Selfbuilt, thanks for the review. You save me some money on this one, I was going to buy it, but based on the strobe problem, I'll pass on this.

I don't know why EagleTac would wanted to produce a "random on strobe mode" :poke:in their light, wish I know who they paid to test their light, maybe that's the problem, they got a bunch of "yes man", did they test the strobe mode? They should save their money and just give some samples to some LEOs and have them field test it.

Great review as always.

Last edited:

adamtoms

Newly Enlightened
hi, ive just ordered this light. This is the proper light i have had so i really dont no that much about anything! Ive looked nearly everywhere on CPF and cant find what batteries it adcepts. I want to buy some 18650's but there is something called protected, which i think is where there is a nib on the end of the batteries to stop the light shortcircuting or something. what i need to no is can i just buy any 18650 batteries for this light, (there are some on ebay) called "4 x RECHARGEABLE 3.7 V 18650 2800mAh li-ion Battery GTL" and will these fit and work in this light
Sorry if this question has been answered anywhere else
Thanks,
Adam

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
hi, ive just ordered this light. This is the proper light i have had so i really dont no that much about anything!
You should check out the battery forum here ("Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included") for more info on batteries. It is a complicated subject, and you will want to be well versed before you buy anything. Also, check out the Welcome Mat for CPF.

To get you started, protected batteries refer to ones with a built-in cut-off circuit to prevent against over-discharging. Over-discharging is very bad for Li-ion, as it permanently damages the cell and increases the risk of catastrophic failure upon an attempted recharge. Like most here, I recommend only protected batteries for use in LED flashlights. The members on the battery forum can help you out with more info.

adamtoms

Newly Enlightened
You should check out the battery forum here ("Flashlight Electronics - Batteries Included") for more info on batteries. It is a complicated subject, and you will want to be well versed before you buy anything. Also, check out the Welcome Mat for CPF.

To get you started, protected batteries refer to ones with a built-in cut-off circuit to prevent against over-discharging. Over-discharging is very bad for Li-ion, as it permanently damages the cell and increases the risk of catastrophic failure upon an attempted recharge. Like most here, I recommend only protected batteries for use in LED flashlights. The members on the battery forum can help you out with more info.
thanks your the advice selfbuilt, ive brought a pair of 3000mah protected batteries!

MBentz

Enlightened
Sorry for bumping this old dinosaur of light. I still have my T20C2 as it approaches five years old, and it still works perfectly. It has been relegated to being the backup light stored in the glovebox of my car. I was fiddling with it today and decided I would reread this review, and noticed something odd. Did Eagletac actually serialized these old flashlights, or did they pick ET693 for all them? I'm wondering because the light selfbuilt has pictured is number ET693 and so is mine.

Again, apologies for bumping this relic. :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Did Eagletac actually serialized these old flashlights, or did they pick ET693 for all them? I'm wondering because the light selfbuilt has pictured is number ET693 and so is mine.
No, I believe that was a driver model number. Eagletac used to print that sometimes on their early lights (but no longer does).