Eagletac TX25C2 (XM-L2 1x18650 2xCR123A/RCR) Review: RUNTIMES, VIDEO, BEAMSHOTS+

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is green, and it has 3 bond wires instead of the 2 of XM-L2. The box had the XM-L2 upgrade sticker. This really ticks me off. I have noticed it is very hard to determine whether vendors are selling the new one or not. I guess they don't want to eat the older ones. But this was clearly a bait-n-switch.

It could easily be a mistake at the factory or equally likely the vendor may have taken out samples and gotten them switched accidentally. I have no doubt they will provide paid return shipping. Just send them an email. Unless you bought it from a Chinese vendor at a discount price.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
They explained that Eagletac did it. Or I think possibly someone bought the new one, then returned it with the previous model in the box. Many people were upset ET made an upgrade so soon. I may have gotten a returned item. Anyway they are exchanging it for the correct model.

plaguem

Enlightened
does anyone else here face issues with their light flickering? it's happens to me quite a lot. i've resorted to buying and putting deoxit red on the threads and contact points, but only seems to resolve the problem temporarily.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, after disabling the energy saving feature, does it stay this way after i turn off the light? We know that loosening the tailcap will revert back to enabled energy saving feature.

I am not so sure about a simple turning off the light :)

ledmitter_nli

Flashlight Enthusiast
does anyone else here face issues with their light flickering? it's happens to me quite a lot. i've resorted to buying and putting deoxit red on the threads and contact points, but only seems to resolve the problem temporarily.

How far passed the mode changes are you twisting the light? Not trying to be a wise guy, but wouldn't it be obvious to twist a little further beyond the mode change point to account for heat expansion of the body or miniscule head wobble from the thread spacing? Or are you doing this already?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Hello, after disabling the energy saving feature, does it stay this way after i turn off the light? We know that loosening the tailcap will revert back to enabled energy saving feature.
I am not so sure about a simple turning off the light :)
I don't recall, but it should. As you say, it certainly does not survive a battery change.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't recall, but it should. As you say, it certainly does not survive a battery change.

Thanks selfbuilt.

Hmm, since you were the original reviewer, would it be asked too much to definitely test it and report on your actual findings? Then we can clear all and any assumptions and even project it to other EagleTac lights with the energy savings feature.

Would be very useful and helpful to know for sure, thanks again for your review efforts!! :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Ok, ok, I've gone back and tested it. I can confirm that the TX25C2 retains the memory of disabling of the energy saving feature upon turning off and back on of the light at the electronic switch. It is only a battery change that resets it to the default (which is turned on).

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, ok, I've gone back and tested it. I can confirm that the TX25C2 retains the memory of disabling of the energy saving feature upon turning off and back on of the light at the electronic switch. It is only a battery change that resets it to the default (which is turned on).

Thanks so much for your word!!

Great test! :twothumbs

I am trying to retest it on my sample. It is quite difficult to disable the energy savings feature ;)

Last edited:

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got this light yesterday and I really like it. It is very similar in throw and output to the G25C2 MKII and is noticeably more compact. This is a very impressive light and has a well thought out UI. Thanks for the great review.

tallboybass

Newly Enlightened
I asked this on the Thrunite Lynx thread, but here goes again...Selfbuilt, if you had tested the cool white version of the TX25C2 instead of the neutral white version, would it still be the brightest single 18650 light in your collection? Thanks.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
I asked this on the Thrunite Lynx thread, but here goes again...Selfbuilt, if you had tested the cool white version of the TX25C2 instead of the neutral white version, would it still be the brightest single 18650 light in your collection? Thanks.
Impossible to know without actually testing it. However, I doubt there is much of a difference.

To explain why I say that, I note that I did observe here that my TX25C2 was unusually bright for a Neutral white emitter. You'll see it is brighter overall than my Cool White GX25C2 (which based on report tint bin, would be expected to exceed). This makes me think that it is in fact a U2-bin (despite the spec sheet saying they are T6). I am noticing a lot of official U2-bin Neutral whites being reported lately, making me think that Cree was always making very high-performing Neutrals in the XM-L2 build.

And again, you are looking at the problem of n=1 per model in my hands, typically. It's hard to know how representational any of my samples are (i.e., you need to know both the average and the deviation around it, for the larger population of lights). :shrug:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Selfbuilt, if you had tested the cool white version of the TX25C2 instead of the neutral white version, would it still be the brightest single 18650 light in your collection? Thanks.

Typically, Cool White is 7% brighter than Neutral White, so it would be 965 ANSI lumens as Eagletac has estimated in their specifications page. SB estimated the Thrunite Lynx at 930 ANSI lumens, so the two lights are so close to brightness the comparison is moot. What is important is what you are going to use the light for. It's not just that the TX25C2 is the brightest 18650, it is also extremely compact with very good throw and a great pocket clip. I've been EDCing mine clipped to the inside of my front pants pocket for 7 months now. You cannot do that with the Lynx which is much bigger and heavier. However, it is obvious the Lynx UI is a very strong feature to be considered. The TX25C2 is essentially a 3-mode with with 10/500/1000 lumens, which works for me, but will certainly not work for everyone.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Typically, Cool White is 7% brighter than Neutral White, so it would be 965 ANSI lumens as Eagletac has estimated in their specifications page. SB estimated the Thrunite Lynx at 930 ANSI lumens, so the two lights are so close to brightness the comparison is moot. What is important is what you are going to use the light for. It's not just that the TX25C2 is the brightest 18650, it is also extremely compact with very good throw and a great pocket clip. I've been EDCing mine clipped to the inside of my front pants pocket for 7 months now. You cannot do that with the Lynx which is much bigger and heavier. However, it is obvious the Lynx UI is a very strong feature to be considered. The TX25C2 is essentially a 3-mode with with 10/500/1000 lumens, which works for me, but will certainly not work for everyone.

That is a good way of putting it. The size difference is big. I am still surprised at how compact this Eagletac is and yet it has great output and throw. The UI works for me very nicely. I have this Eagletac on my duty belt now since it is so much more compact than the G25CII MKII I was carrying. The G25CII MK II is now on my patrol rifle and it makes one heck of a weapon light.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
11/7/13

I bought the light after all and found a way to make it easy to operate with one hand. Locate the point just before low transitions to bright. You can easily go from one level to the other with a very slight finger adjustment. Then you can use the press-to-bright from either of those positions. This makes the TX25C2 a one-hand light. Very convenient!

Brightnorm

11/1/13
I was eager to buy this light, but as a civilian, I wanted a "standard" UI. Too bad because this is clearly a great small light.

Selbuilt, thanks for yet another superb review.

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I am tempted by the neutral white XM-L2 T6 version. Do you know what the colour temperature is on this version. I am hoping that it is on the cool side. If not I may need to sit it on copper and mod with a nice neutral XM-L2 i procured from Mouser.

I have both versions. I originally thought the cool white was brighter, but soon realized that only applied to white or very light surfaces. In general the neutral appears brighter than the cool white, and I now use it exclusively.

Brightnorm