Eagtac MX25L4C: 4 x XM-L2(U2), max. 4020 (ANSI) lumen, 4x18650; (beam)shots, compare

kj75

Enlightened
More compact, more output. This is actual a trend in flashlight-world. Several lights do have more than 4000 lumens output, which is real impressive. Recently Eagtac added one to the MX-series, the MX25L4C. I tested the (optional) kit-version. Let's have a closer look at this powerful one!

another member of the big Eagtac-family
ynlz8.jpg

the MX25L4C
1fa352.jpg

powered by 4 XM-L2 (U2) leds
x4ek9z.jpg

compact, but impressive output
2ryoluf.jpg

Starting, as always, with a look at the specs, given by Eagtac:

- LED: 4x CREE XM-L2 U2 LED
- LED lumen: 18 / 410 / 2180 / 4800
- ANSI FL-1 lumen: 15 / 345 / 1830 / 4020
- Center lux: 60,100 lux
- Beam distance: 490 meters
- Operating voltage: 10V - 24V (do not use eight 3.7V RCR123A batteries, because then you will exceed the 24V limit, which is bad for your flashlight)
- Material: HAIII hard anodization aerospace aluminum
- Waterproof: IPX-8 standard
- Smooth aluminium reflector

Dimensions:

- Head Diameter: 62 mm
- Body Diameter: 52 mm
- Length: 143 mm
- Weight: 408 grams (without batteries)

What's included: (kit version)

- MX25L4C flashlight
- Spare o-rings
- User Manual
- Mil-Spec Para-cord Lanyard w/ quick attachment clip
- 4x CR123A Battery Magazines
- Extra signal connection through the body tube for rear accessories add-on (pre-installed)
- Extra tailcap w/ switch and tail-standing ability
- Front-mount thread on the head for filter attachment
- Stainless steel bezel
- Heavy duty nylon holster with self-retention device and open-top design

Unboxing:

The lights comes in the standard MX-series carton-box in grey and black color. On the box a sticker pasted to see which version is included, because Eagtac (good job!) mostly delivers lights in more versions. In the box the light, user manual, warranty card, battery spacers (for CR123A), lanyard and spare o-rings. The kit version comes with a holster too. It all looks neat.

this box in Eagtac housestyle…
3x3kz.jpg

contents the light, registration card, manual, holster, spare o-rings, lanyard and battery spacers
u7xjp.jpg

Impressions:

A sturdy, bit heavy light, in a very nice, deep black color. Excellent job on machining and anodizing, threads run smoothly. Light has some nice details too, for example the shape of the reflectors. In my sample, the leds were centered well, but not exactly placed the same way. It fits nice in the hand, interface can be done with one hand. Engraving is excellent. The threads are little lubed. The special shape of the tube will give better grip. The kit version has a stainless steel bezel, that allows you to add filters on it. Kit-version has also a tailstand cap with second on/off button. Scroll down for more details and impressions.

compact light that has the looks
vxgtv.jpg

in very nice, deep black color
voo9d0.jpg

easy to handle with
6r80er.jpg

the kit-version has a cap with extra on/off button
2j4olug.jpg

and a stainless steel bezel
s4mi5h.jpg

excellent engraving
2zf29p3.jpg

the light in three parts
2h7oqdk.jpg

with added lanyard
2djbaeo.jpg

"hidden" in the holster (standard in kit-version)
1zl6ucg.jpg

recommended button-top 18650 cells, but can run on 8 x CR123A too
vnmh5l.jpg

the tailcap unscrewed
fut46p.jpg

a closer look
10f9pgj.jpg

inside the tube
t8rv3m.jpg

detail picture of the leds
2lw88pz.jpg

not exactly placed the same way
wjsww7.jpg

the threads are lubed sufficient
8x0wvn.jpg

a close-up of the cap
jfurew.jpg

LED and ANSI lumen mentioned at the box
358qx5i.jpg

Modes:

The MX25L4C has four output levels: LOW > MID > HIGH > TURBO and offers also (as usual at Eagtacs) a lot of special modes: Strobe > Strobe(Variable speed) > Flash(quick) > S.O.S.(Fast flash) > S.O.S. > Beacon > Flash(slow).
If needed, you can transfer the light into a tactical: quick turn the lights head from 1st​ level to 2nd​ ten times (within 5 seconds) In tactical mode you have the following modes: HIGH > MID > STROBE > STROBE (variable)

User interface:

Use the side- or tailbutton for on/off and turn the light's head to (pre)select the desired mode. The side- and tailbutton do the same job. A short press for on/off, a long press (handy feature!) will activate momentary until button release. A long press when on will give instant-turbo. Quick double-click for instant-strobe, no matter from on or off. Eagtac calls the 7(!) special modes hidden, and yes, it takes some time before you found them J. With the lights' head tightened, you must loose until 3rd​ or the 4th​ level to enter the special modes. Repeat this to cycle through all 7 modes. This modes have no memory: for me, it takes to long before I get my desired special mode. After selecting a normal mode, the indicator near the side button will light up to inform you about actual voltage. Flashing once a minute means average voltage is below 3 volts. Time to charge to cells….

this indicator lights up after selecting a normal mode
33yruac.jpg

red light when voltage is critical or low
i3iarq.jpg

Size comparison:

Some pictures here of MX25L4C compared to some competitors in the 4-led-class: The Nitecore TM06 and the Fenix LD75C. The TM06 is real "tiny", and the LD75C the "big" one.

CR123A, 18650, Nitecore TM06, Eagtac MX25L4C and Fenix LD75C
15d6vsi.jpg

Nitecore TM06, Eagtac MX25L4C and Fenix LD75C
iqwnxl.jpg

a4sqoh.jpg

15s96av.jpg

the heads

3st2e.jpg

the tails

2cylbsz.jpg

Tint:

A coolwhite tint here, no green can be found, (maybe) little blue. I've compared it to the Olight SR Mini.

k0q3kp.jpg

Beamprofile:

Clearly to see here that this light has decent throw too. The MX25L4C has a mixed beamprofile. No rings in the beam; a rather big corona and decent spill too.

Beamshots:

At first, the beam projected on a white wall. All mentioned lumens are ANSI.

camera settings: ISO 100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 1/125 sec, 35mm
24yqq1s.jpg

o55g5u.jpg

51zpk7.jpg

10saqep.jpg

animation picture
18ddh5.jpg

And now, going outdoors.....
After that, compared to some "4-led" competitors, the Nitecore TM06 and the Fenix LD75C.

camera settings: ISO 100, WB daylight, F/2.7, 4 sec, 35mm
fko309.jpg

2aam4uc.jpg

se8x75.jpg

a2zrti.jpg

animation
s2w50m.jpg

against Nitecore TM06
34oa2yg.jpg

against Fenix LD75C
2mo8n5t.jpg

Conclusion:

A nice, good looking, big output light. Especially I like that you can easy pre-select and control the lights modes. Also I like the instant strobe- and turbomode. The light is well finished, except the position of the leds. Output en throw is huge, but a real low is missing. Personally, I don't mind: a big light is made for big jobs…What I would like to see: an illuminated switch, a better voltage indicator and memory for the hidden modes. But actual, this is one of my output kings!

Thanks to Eagtac for sending me this sample!

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review - a nice looking and compact light at this output level. Do you have an SX or MX25L3 to compare to? although with an MT-G2 and a bit below 3000 lumens, that may not be a fair comparison. The slightly better focused beam compared to the TM06 or LD75C is useful, although still with a good spill.

I have a nephew living on a hobby farm who wants lumens, lots of lumens. He has a TM26 (3500 lumen version), but rarely uses it because the 2-stage control is iffy to operate with cold or gloved hands. The Eagletac head twist method might be the solution for him, except that then he needs two hands. He did comment that every time he turns on the TM26, it brings a smile to his face.... :) which also implies to me that he uses it primarily on max output.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for this review, I have been searching/waiting for a review for this light. Three (or more) very good reviews have been posted on this forum for the LD75, but this review is the first one I have found for this light.

I am looking for something to add to my nascent collection that has more throw than my Niwalker MM15, but without sacrificing too many lumens. I considered the TM36 with SBT-70 emitter which has more throw than I need, but not enough lumens. Same for the SST-90 emitter: Nice throw, but insufficient luminosity for my power needs wants.

That is where this light and/or the LD75 come in: The right combination of power and throw to properly fill a gaping void in my small collection.

I spent some time studying your last beamshot. The LD75 is clearly floodier; so that means the MX25L4C is throwier- or, is this an over simplification?

The LD75 has larger diameter reflectors, but they overlap. This light has smaller, but non-overlapping reflectors. Could the larger yet partially overlapping reflectors result in more flood, and also result in more throw, too?

Thanks again for this valuable and eagerly anticipated review!

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review and beamshots. I am curious, what did you mean about the position of the LEDs? I don't see any that look off center or anything but maybe I am missing it. Were you talking about the exact orientation inside the reflector of each LED? As in them all being on the same plane or something?

kj75

Enlightened
Thanks for the review
Thanks for the great review
Thanks for this review
Nice review and beamshots

Welcome you all!!
:)

The LD75 is clearly floodier; so that means the MX25L4C is throwier- or, is this an over simplification?
Yes, the LD75C is floodier, more "all-round" If you're looking for a big-output (tactical) thrower, go for the MX25L4C...

I am curious, what did you mean about the position of the LEDs?
I forgot to add the comparison shots of the lights, it was a weekend-job :D
The leds are not off-center, but I meant the position. Have a look at the head picture...

Last edited:

odessadream

Newly Enlightened
I can not really see in the beam shot that the MX is more of a thrower than the LD ? Am I missing something ?
Does the LD stay longer in Turbo (steps down later) than the MX because the LD is better cooled since it is a bigger flashlight ?

Welcome you all!!
:)

Yes, the LD75C is floodier, more "all-round" If you're looking for a big-output (tactical) thrower, go for the MX25L4C...

I forgot to add the comparison shots of the lights, it was a weekend-job :D
The leds are not off-center, but I meant the position. Have a look at the head picture...

odessadream

Newly Enlightened
Is the UI of the MX handy ? In other words is it possible to change the brightness by operating the MX with only one hand ?
Going to the flashing modes with one seems impossible to me, right ?

Last edited:

kj75

Enlightened
I can not really see in the beam shot that the MX is more of a thrower than the LD ? Am I missing something ?

Lights will reach about the same distance, according to the specs. But the beam of the MX is less floody, so in real life you will have more (visible) throw.

Is the UI of the MX handy ? In other words is it possible to change the brightness by operating the MX with only one hand ?
Going to the flashing modes with one seems impossible to me, right ?

It's not easy to change it with one hand. For that, go for the LD. If you use the light in tactical mode, you will have two direct strobe modes. At normal mode, it takes some time to enter your desired special mode...

odessadream

Newly Enlightened
thanks for your answers. What about the other question : Does the LD stay longer in Turbo (steps down later) than the MX because the LD is better cooled since it is a bigger flashlight ?

To be honest it is difficult to choose between the 2 lights. I like the more compact size and more thrower character of the MX. On the other hand I like the UI of the LD better, the colours are a bonus and it has probably (waiting for you answer) a longer duration time at turbo mode because the LD has more cooling due to the bigger size. Which one do you prefer ?

Lights will reach about the same distance, according to the specs. But the beam of the MX is less floody, so in real life you will have more (visible) throw.

It's not easy to change it with one hand. For that, go for the LD. If you use the light in tactical mode, you will have two direct strobe modes. At normal mode, it takes some time to enter your desired special mode...

kj75

Enlightened
Does the LD stay longer in Turbo (steps down later) than the MX because the LD is better cooled since it is a bigger flashlight ?

Will do a test for you ASAP. Keep you posted:)

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review. Im really about to pull the trigger on this light, but I'm torn over VOB XHP-70 Maglight creation as well. As far as throw goes, do you think these 4 reflectors running XML's will throw as far as the one big Mag reflector pushing an XHP-70?

Last edited:

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump.

FWIW, this is a rare review that compared the Eagtac MX25L4C and the Fenix LD75C, both with ~4000 lumen output on Turbo. Based on this review, and comparing those beamshots on the 800 Beamshots on Taschenlampen-Forum.de, I decided to order both lights since I sort of needed a light (singular) in the 4000 lumen range - rampant rationalization! Having received both lights, I did my own beamshot comparison, was a bit surprised.

My copies of the MX25L4C and the LD75C on Turbo have similar outputs and are believable that they are in the 4000 lumen range, as determined by comparing their beams on deciduous treetops at about 80+ meters. However the beam patterns varied a bit from the posted beamshots. no photos, so a verbal description will have to suffice.

The LD75C illuminated the treetops a bit better than the MX25L4C, primarily since the LD75C collimated it's beam to a tighter spot and less spill than the MX25L4C. and that seems to be opposite of the beamshots in this review and on 800 beamshots German site. Said differently, the MX25L4C had a much wider spot than the LD75C. I wonder if either manufacturer made some adjustments to their respective models?

Nevertheless, in standard flashaholic tradition, I will keep both lights since they serve different purposes. I am rather allergic to large long flashlights that do not easily drop in to a winter coat pocket, and especially those that deliver a laser-like beam downrange with too little spill to find the unknowns. Been there, done that, turned away. The MX25L4C is compact for 4x18650 and outputs a decent broad beam with good range and has a reasonable low, although the head has to be rotated to change levels. The LD75C head is almost too large, but does have a bit more range/throw and the colored LEDs are interesting, unfortunately the main low level is kinda high on lumens. I do wish that the colored levels were changeable. The dual circuitry in the LD75C offers some interesting possibilities, similar to the LD50. Both are quality lights and I am expecting years of service from them.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey man that is a pretty interesting point. I just never had any interest in the LD75C it seemed like an answer to a question nobody asked to me. Handled one once and although quite powerful to my eyes the outer spill was to criss crossed looking like a TK75 cloverleaf times two. Interesting about that ET. I believe the difference just comes down to the reflectors. The 75c just has more focused and overall deeper wells. Dont have much use for lights that powerful where I am would likely get the police called but still have I think no 16 Eagtacs. Biggest being the turbo head MX25L2 SST90. Had it for almost 3 years do use it night fishing it still puts out the biggest baddest spot at distance out of any of my lights. Huge and heavy yes but has spun like a top. The 2x32650 cell pack is astonishing. It is about time for ET's turn at new rounds of their big lights. Should be interesting. These things get any brighter and throw any further Id be mistaken for a lighthouse along the Potomac where I fish. good bump

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the response CelticCross!

I often hesitate about posting a bump to an aging thread since the operative word in the flashaholic world seems to be "new".

On that 'new' point, I also do not like to be on the leading edge, since that is too often the bleeding edge - and thereby money lost. On a fixed income in retirement, I have to pay attention to limiting my toys ,,, to the detriment of my curiosity.

Given the common 'bathtub curve' of development and life cycles, it is good to wait until the newness has worn off and everyone else has debugged your light for you...:sssh:
Of course I periodically violate that guideline if I think that the predecessor models were adequately similar in design.

regarding your Eagtac lights and twisting the head to change levels: I had several EagTac lights with the head-twist for a year or more, so I sort of understand their weak spots - the contact springs and sliding contact surfaces. I did have a GX 3xAAA light failure due to a broken spring. that was almost predictable given the smallest spring. The larger lights were all solid performers for switching - given that I would use Deoxit every few months on the sliding contact surfaces.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey man there is NOTHING wrong with bumping a good thread even if it is 5 years old. The head twisting took getting used to and yes DeOxit is your friend when you have ET's. Shame about your GX25A3. ET will warrant it.