Easiest economy AA charger?

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, the gf just picked up a new digicam which takes a pair of AA batts and is bugging me to use my stash, which isn't going to happen. I plan on buying a 4-pk of duracell pre charged AA's but I was curious if anybody could recommend a super simple, idiot proof charger for her? I'm thinking the Energizer USB will be the easiest and cheapest, but would love to hear other suggestions!

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would read this thead and see how you feel about the Sony. It can be had at an extremely low price, and is dead simple to use. I would probably wait for feedback from my last post.

However, if you do go with it, it is quite cheap, usually ten bucks or less off the 'Bay if you are patient.

ecrbattery

Newly Enlightened
panabq321.jpg

Panasonic DMW-LZACKIT Accessory Kit for the Panasonic LZ2, LZ3 and LZ5 Digital Camera

I have been giving these great Panasonic BQ-321 charger away to family and friends. It a compact 2 slots unit with independent charging channels. It only charge at 550mAh for AA or AAA. So for the Duracell Precharge AA, you looking at 4 hours charge time from empty. It a smart charger that stop quickly when I insert a full eneloop AA. The single green LED will blink during charge and turn solid when both cells are fully charged. The this charger is part of the Panasonic Digital Camera Kit on Amazon that sell for only $6.88 with FREE shipping. The kit also include 2xAA Panasonic 2050mAh battery and a camera pouch. The two AA have a 2008 date code so don't expect the full capacity... I only got 1800mAh for first cycle then it increases to 1925mAh after 10 cycles.

If you want a economical independent channels 4 slots charger, check out the Sony BCG34HLD2RN charger only $5.49 with FREE shipping. Sometime local Fry will have them on sale for $5.00. Check out this thread for a review. The charging rate is only 360mAh so it will take 5.5 hours to fill the Duracell Precharged AA. The two low capacity 1000mAh AA that comes with this charger are best use in remote.

Sony Cycle Energy BCG34HLD2RN 1000 mAh Power Charger with 2 AA Pre-Charged Batteries

You should get some real eneloop instead of the Duracell Precharged AA, price is about the same. Just stay away from the Sanyo MC-MQN06U and get one of the charger above. They both has built-in wall plug so no cord to carry around like the Sony BC-CS2A.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
This Sony charger with 4 pre-charged seems to have real good feedback. And under $20 to boot. Thoughts?

ecrbattery

Newly Enlightened
That charger is the same as $5.49 one, you just paying more for the 4xAA 2000mAh battery.

You might as well spend another $1.66 and get the much better BCG34HRE4KN. This charger got much faster charging rate, 4 led indicators for each battery, temperature monitoring and refresh function.

Check out this nice Sony site for a comparison of all the Sony chargers.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip on that Panasonic pictured above. I have a few chargers but wanted something extra small for travel that could charge a single cell. I tested it on a single 60% charged cell and it only took about an hour to charge, so it definitely has a detection to stop the charge.

I can't see how they can sell them shipped for so cheap. Mine did not come with batteries even though it was supposed to, but I have plenty of eneloops so no biggy for me. I wish I had bought 2.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip on that Panasonic pictured above. I have a few chargers but wanted something extra small for travel that could charge a single cell. I tested it on a single 60% charged cell and it only took about an hour to charge, so it definitely has a detection to stop the charge.

I can't see how they can sell them shipped for so cheap. Mine did not come with batteries even though it was supposed to, but I have plenty of eneloops so no biggy for me. I wish I had bought 2.
I second the tip on that Panasonic BQ-321 charger. I did actually buy two for $13 total delivered in under a week. First impressions are very favorable. The charger appears to be of very solid high quality construction, nothing flimsy about it at all. It charged two Duraloops from empty in 3 3/4 hours and the charger electronics did not get warm during charging as some chargers do. The included Panasonic HHR-3MPA batteries also appear to be of high quality (they were inside the camera case, did you look there?). The batteries had a date code of 06-08, but the two I measured so far were 1.267 V and 1.268 V out of the shrink wrap. Such consistent voltages after nearly 3 years in storage can only be a good sign. I am discharging them now to see what charge they still hold.

When people ask about a good simple charger, I think this would be high on the list. If you want to charge four cells at a time just get two of them.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I completed the discharge of the Panasonic HHR-3MPA batteries that came with the BQ-321 charger. Out of the shrink wrap, they held a charge of 1152 mAh and 1097 mAh when discharged on the C9000 at 200 mA. As noted above they have a date code of 06-08. I'm impressed.

Mikl1984

Newly Enlightened
The batteries had a date code of 06-08, but the two I measured so far were 1.267 V and 1.268 V out of the shrink wrap. Such consistent voltages after nearly 3 years in storage can only be a good sign.
Panasonic coded 06 as 2006 Year and 08 as August
In this case your results even more impressive

ecrbattery

Newly Enlightened
I stand corrected about the Panasonic battery date code.

That is truly impressive with over 50% retained capacity after nearly 5 years. And I don't believe that they are fully charged from the factory either. They should last quite a few cycles with the BQ-321 gentle charging. Mine has been surviving the fast 1A to 2A current with no ill effect yet.

Mr. Happy, are you breaking them in on the C9000? Please post some result so I can get something to compare to. I have not been able to get any of them past 1950 mAh.

Speaking of Panasonic, does anyone here have the new Panasonic 1600 cycles Evolta Rechargable?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mr. Happy, are you breaking them in on the C9000? Please post some result so I can get something to compare to. I have not been able to get any of them past 1950 mAh.
I'll check them out and post in due course. However 1950 mAh doesn't seem too bad for a 2050 mAh cell.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
So the Panasonic bq-321 would not be the one to get if I won't be charging two equally depleted cells simultaneously? Two at a time doesn't sound like a problem, but it would be pure coincidence if I happened to run them down the same amount before putting them on the charger. Also, do any of these chargers come with AAA's? I'm seeing AA's only. Guess you have to buy AAA's separately.

Mr Happy said:

2gy62h5.jpg

gaiageek

Newly Enlightened
In case anyone is looking for the specs on the Panasonic BQ-321 charger:

Input voltage 100-240V (V)
Input method Plug in Type
Charging method -delta V charging method
Charge current AA: 1-2Cells:550mA AAA: 1-2Cells:550mA
Charging time AA: 1-2Cells:240min AAA: 1-2Cells:90min
Dimensions (W x D x H) 48.2 X 125 X 27mm
Approx. Weight 83 (g)

Charging display Green light blinking when charging.
Green light on when charge completed.

Also if someone who has bought it is willing to take a pic of the back and side, I'd appreciate it.

ecrbattery

Newly Enlightened
Here is the user manual (pdf) for the Panasonic BQ-321 charger.

If you monitor the charging current, you will see it pulses between 1.1A and 0A for an average of 550mA. Once -delta V is detected, it switches to trickle charging for around 2 hours then completely stop after that.

Current Amazon price for the Panasonic BQ-321 Accessory Kit is only $5.77 with Free S/H which make it the best deal for a smart independent channel charger since the price for the Sony chargers has increased (some model jump as much as $9).

themandylion

Banned
My backup charger to our LaCrosse is a Sanyo Eneloop USB charger. It always brings the batteries up to full power, though a bit slow. It has two banks, with a short USB cable that pops out.

Latest posts