Ebay 18650 (aspheric?) headlamps

ahorton

Enlightened
I've noticed a few 18650 headlamps turning up on Ebay lately. Very cheap $20 delivered in most cases. Sometimes that includes the battery and charger.

A recent mention was made in this thread:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?311464-New-Headlamp

But I can't find any real reviews on them.

Has anyone got their hands on one?

The heads look terrible. Far too big and unbalanced to be useful for running, and I think they're using PCX lenses instead of reflectors to get the flood-throw zoom. So they're unlikely to be very efficient or event pleasant as flood headlamps.

However, they do have 18650 battery packs, elastic bands, spiral cable and little hooks to hold the cable on the strap. So they might be a great thing to buy and built your own lighthead. They won't be dive-waterproof, but they might be ok in the rain.

I can't tell what gauge the conductors in the cable are. I suspect they're small.

This one has my interest being a 2 x 18650 battery pack.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130465041661&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

This one comes with a charging port and charger. Not that I need another 18650 charger, but it opens up the possibilities to seal the rest of the case with silicone and feel better about it in a storm. It also shows how easy an emitter swap would be.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/18650-Head-L...ping_Hiking_Lamps_Torches&hash=item519794b65b

The battery case on this one makes me cry:mecry:.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-18650-CR...361?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5addd57c49

Are there any reviews for these things around?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of emitters are these lights using? They appear to be using XRE's. There is no way in hell they are anywhere near 400 (or even 300) lumens if that is the case.
They still look to be very reasonably priced, especially the one that sells for $12.34 with free shipping! How are they making money on these? You figure the shipping from HK to the U.S. would be at least $6. lol

ahorton

Enlightened
Hehe, yes the crenelated bezel is funny. I accidentally designed one like that once. I was trying to keep the weight down but still protect the lens. The result looked like an assault bezel so it never made it out of the CAD software.

I think most of these headlights are using cree XR LEDs, but I can't tell if they're not XR-Cs and/or low efficiency bins.

We all know not to trust flux and intensity claims. I'd buy these expecting to replace all LEDs and drivers. If they turned out to be ok then that would just be a pleasant surprise.

Jackasper

Enlightened
OK... I'm guilty. I had to do it. I don't buy cheap stuff, but figured for $.06 + $5.99 shipping I'd wait the three weeks it takes to get here from China. Seriously, I won the auction at $.06 and paid a total of $6.05. Three weeks later it came in the mail.
It is as you describe, a bit bulky at the head but not nearly like I thought it would be. It's alot like the Led lenser sliding focusable head. Yes it does have a domed (aspheric?) lens. The emitter looks to be an XP-E or an XR-E. The only real gripe I have with the thing is the hinge at the head plate. It is lightweight plastic and will surely give if used on a daily basis. Other than that the thing is fine. At full throw, the emitter produces a square hotspot with an outline of a faint yellow to purple ring. Once you start to flood the shape and colors blend in nicely. I am actually impressed with how far it shoots a beam. As for the rest of the light, it looks fine. The wiring and battery pack are good. Time will tell...

ahorton

Enlightened
Ah yes I'd forgotten about the bad plastic hinges on many Chinese headlamps.

C.E.P.

Newly Enlightened
OK... I'm guilty. I had to do it. I don't buy cheap stuff, but figured for $.06 + $5.99 shipping I'd wait the three weeks it takes to get here from China. Seriously, I won the auction at $.06 and paid a total of $6.05. Three weeks later it came in the mail.
It is as you describe, a bit bulky at the head but not nearly like I thought it would be. It's alot like the Led lenser sliding focusable head. Yes it does have a domed (aspheric?) lens. The emitter looks to be an XP-E or an XR-E. The only real gripe I have with the thing is the hinge at the head plate. It is lightweight plastic and will surely give if used on a daily basis. Other than that the thing is fine. At full throw, the emitter produces a square hotspot with an outline of a faint yellow to purple ring. Once you start to flood the shape and colors blend in nicely. I am actually impressed with how far it shoots a beam. As for the rest of the light, it looks fine. The wiring and battery pack are good. Time will tell...

Sounds like the one I got a few months ago, does yours take 3 AAAs?

Simon Barry

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys

I'm the guy who started the thread referred to by the OP.

I've had a couple of the AAA versions of these all winter and have just received a AA version.

The plastic hinge is really poor (I think) and will wear out really quickly- thats the bad news. The good news is it is possible to pull out the expanded hinge bar and bodge a friction hinge instead.

Are they 300lumen more or less....dunno. At the price though, you can buy a couple or 3, bodge them onto a 99p mobile phone case (the type with a clip) and who cares?

Jackasper

Enlightened
Sorry C.E.P. for taking so long to reply. No, mine takes a single 18650 which it came with.
Simon, very good idea on the hinge.

mrbubbles

Newly Enlightened
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130465041661&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I brought one of these.

- Not waterproof. No silicone or o-ring anywhere.
- Non-existent heatsinking. LED sits on a pipe-like metal with a hole in the middle, the edges of the star board is only thing in contact with the metal.
- Parallel battery terminals, works with a single 18650 if needed.
- The floodiest beam is not floody enough, the aspheric beam has a lot of throw.
- Flashing mode is useless, imo.

Makes for a good host if you can mod it, which I'm planning to do with XM-L and a better heatsink, plus silicone sealing.