EDC a bit overwhelmed...

CheechWizaard

Newly Enlightened
Hey gang.
First post, looking for a recmomendation on a good every day carry, I'm a bit overwhelmed with the options, so any recomendations would be much apreciated.
My requirements are:
  • Cost: Under 100$
  • Sturdy clip
  • Uses AA batteries
  • Good on power conservation (variable power options would be nice)
  • Not too big (has to fit in my front backpack pocket)
I just want something reliable, tried and tested.
Any rechargeable AA battery recommendations would be appreciated as well.
Thanks.
Cheech

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am more of an AAA fan, but I have a few AA lights that I like. Trunite T10S/T/A and Foursevens AA pro are nice options. I also like the L3 Illumination L10 with Nichia 219 or Cree XP-G2 twisty. You can search for reviews on CPF.
Welcome to CPF.

thepit56

Newly Enlightened
I'm quite partial to my Fenix E11 for a "who cares throw it in a bag and it'll work when you need it to" light. I like the V11R from Sunwayman which is a bit larger than most AA lights but also has a great interface. I have an Olight S-15 Ti that I like the tint on and is a button vs a control ring. I'm also trying hard not to buy an L10 because I know I won't like the twisty interface from past experiences but a nice Nichia in a single AA light is so tempting.

Any of those lights fit your criteria, I can be more specific about them if you'd like but reviews are done by smarter people than I so I would check them out.

As far as Batteries go....BC-700 charger and eneloops. I've also used Amazon basics high capacity and they appear to be eneloops at a discounted price rebranded.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with thepit56's recommendations.

I'll also mention that if wanting single AA you won't have a problem finding something under $100. In fact you're looking at significantly less. If going the single AA route I wouldn't sorry so much with a tactical type tail cap switch. It's not that I'm a fan of the twisty types, but its because once I got into 18650 lights.........those aren't much bigger than a single AA light........but a lot more bang for the buck.

So since AA is the preference, my suggestion is to take advantage of the smallness and go for something small, proven, well regulated.

EagleTac D25A mini (non clicky). I tried the clicky version and there were a number of things I just didn't like so different strokes for different folks I suppose. But the D25A with XP-G2 is very small. And is very efficient. And has 3 modes which is plenty.

The new Fenix E12 that was released last February. It has 3 modes and a tail switch, although its the reverse clicky type which is utilized to change modes, so its smaller than a forward tactical tail cap switch. Its small and inexpensive. It has the XP-E2 LED which is a step down from the XP-G2, but I've tested its run time and it hangs in their with the best of the XP-G2 lights at the 2 lowest modes. Unfortunately it can't on high as the XP-G2 LED is more efficient at higher power. It's a light that a flashaholic is proud to gift without having to spend a ton of money.

Sunwayman V11R with AA adapter. I run mine with a 14500 (AA size) lithium rechargeable battery.

I've phased out of all of my single AA lights except those 3........cuz I think they are good value and performance for the price.
Just some thoughts. But I'll tell you that any common brand name flashlight that you see mentioned on CPF would be just fine :).

Last edited:

Jeffg330

Newly Enlightened
I'd suggest looking at the Zebralight SC52 also. It has many levels, it's tiny, and great batter life.

GatorMedic

Newly Enlightened
I second the recommendation for the L3 Illumination L10C (has option for 3 or 4 modes). Also would recommend the Fenix LD12. Both are awesome lights. I pocket carry the L10C and carry the LD12 in my backpack as a spare.

GatorMedic

Newly Enlightened
I'm also trying hard not to buy an L10 because I know I won't like the twisty interface from past experiences but a nice Nichia in a single AA light is so tempting.

The L10C is the clicky version of the L10. It's a fantastic light in my opinion.

cjmorris

Enlightened
Malkoff mdc. It's in a class by it's self for $100 you won't find anything close. For a little less money Peak El Capitan is a high quality light. There are lots of choices in your budget. I love eagletac lights too. But if I was you I would stick with malkoff or peak. Quality of the light itself and a quality beam are way more important than lumens. That is where peak and malkoff separate themselves in this price range imo.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Both of these have a good clip and a clicky.

Zebralight SC52

L3 Illumination L10C (XPG2 or Nichia 219)

UnderPar

Enlightened
Foursevens Quark QPA or QTA. You can juice it up with AA Alkaline or NiMH or Li-ion 14500. You may also get a 2xAA body so you can lego it. ZL SC52 is another good choice but if I am given the choice, I will prefer the new SC62 which is a lot more powerful than the SC52. It runs on a Li-ion 18650 though, but its just a little bigger than the SC52. I own all the 3 lights that I mentioned and currently using the QPA and SC62 as my EDC. Check out their specs on their respective websites

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
To ME true EDC light = Super small, barely know its there, high quality materials, not worried about getting dropped, broken, stolen, jacked, cracked, hacked, and works everytime on "normal" batteries.

I haven't seen the Maratac lights mentioned. I have the copper versions of the AAA and AA. I ended up getting REV 3 on the AAA. I really really like it. Talk about grows on you. The previous version was nice. But, when I saw the UI was Med, Low, High it raised my eyebrow. At first, I was like, no, I like my ultra low on first. But with use, it Med on first is a winner TO ME. :)

For $40 you have plenty of money left over to get some good batteries and a charger.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the fenix e11... Sadly discontinued but the e12 looks good. However I retired mine for a sunwayman v11r and couldn't be happier. Will run on AA with extension tube but I carry mine with rcr123a. Main advantage to the V11r is the ability to go really dim, which the fenix lights can't.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whiz into any decent outdoor store or Costco etc and you will be walking out with a decent torch for way under your budget and will have change for a decent little charger and some Eneloops or Eneloop type batteries.Check out the supermarkets as many have discovered the Eneloop type of battery and are doing bundled deals of a charger and 4 batteries for in Tesco,s case for under £20.

No need to spend silly hobby prices to start with as that will become automatic if you get hooked.

Poppy

Flashaholic
LOL... so far you only have about a dozen different suggestions, and three different battery size lights. Wait a couple of days, and you'll have another dozen :whistle:

Feeling LESS OVERWHELMED yet?

Choosing a clicky or twisty will help to narrow the selection a little bit.
But there will still be MANY good AA lights.

If it is to be back-pack carry, maybe a 2AA light would be something you might want to consider, they'll give longer run-times on high.

If you discuss your primary purpose for the light, that might also narrow the selection a little bit.

Overall... it might be good to just get one of those already suggested, use it for a while, and then after you get a better feel for your likes and dislikes (and your uses) then you might be in a better position to try others.

liquidrazer

Newly Enlightened
i love my L3 Illumination L10C. has a reverse clicky nice deep carry pocket clip. the tail standing is iffy IMO. mine is (or was) 219 emitter with 4 mode. totally love the firefly/moonlight mode. Mine is currently in the RMA process as it stopped working suddenly.

EDIT: the light cost me about $35.

Latest posts