EDC AA Light that can be used to strike. Suggestions?

shark_za

Enlightened
I don't think a specific light is needed for industrial action.
Something cheap would do, unionists are frugal.

You would want general illumination for placards and if your strike involves being tied to a tree then I would have one with no protrusions or sharp edges.

snare

Newly Enlightened
Where do you study/train and which martial art?
-Tank

I am in North Carolina.

I study with a man who began his studies in 1960 with Ed Parker (Kenpo) and has been a full time instructor and student of combat arts since 1964. When sudying under Ed Parker one of his classmates was Dan Inosanto. He has maintained that relationship and studied with Dan and Mr. Lee.

Throughout his study he has been integrating kenpo, jui jitsu, ecrima, jkd, western boxing, fencing, white tiger kung fu and tai karate.

He does not teach sport, only survival. He emphasizes spontaneity and improvisation. We train for all ranges, from weapons distance, to striking, to trapping to ground work.

We do alot with stick, knife and pocket stick weapons.

Frankly, it was exactly what I was looking for and I feel blessed to have him as an instructor and a fellow student.

Trever, thanks for the Solarforce suggestion. To be honest, after taking a quick look at the site, I am a bit confused. Can the light be run on either 123s or AAs? Or can you get different bodies for each battery type? I will take some more time to research what is on that page.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
On the solarforce site, it seem like the light can be run with both CR123s, 18650s, and AAs, depending on the battery tube and drop-in placed in the light.

For example, a boost driver drop-in (the .8-4.2v ones) will work with 1 CR123, 1 AA, or 1 Li-ion battery. Which one to use will depend on the body. If you have a 2 AA body, it will fit 2 AA sized batteries, but the 18650 and CR123 won't work because they won't fit the battery tube. You'll need different bodies and the matching voltage drop-in to suit the battery type.

Mattedhead

Newly Enlightened
I am in North Carolina.

I study with a man who began his studies in 1960 with Ed Parker (Kenpo) and has been a full time instructor and student of combat arts since 1964. When sudying under Ed Parker one of his classmates was Dan Inosanto. He has maintained that relationship and studied with Dan and Mr. Lee.

Throughout his study he has been integrating kenpo, jui jitsu, ecrima, jkd, western boxing, fencing, white tiger kung fu and tai karate.

He does not teach sport, only survival. He emphasizes spontaneity and improvisation. We train for all ranges, from weapons distance, to striking, to trapping to ground work.

Snare-

I am very interested...where in NC is this practice?

DM51

Flashaholic
Threads that discuss the use of lights as weapons do not usually last long, as sooner or later the emphasis tends to shift away from the merits of the lights themselves to an aggressive discussion of how to inflict maximum injury on others, at which point the thread is usually closed.

Apart from one post, the discussion here has so far steered clear of bravado and violence, so on that basis it may continue.

snare

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so it doesn't show the runtimes on Solarforce's site for the 3 mode drop in run by 2xAA. Or am I missing it?

So....

L2-R $20.99
.8-4.2V 3 Mode Drop In $13.99
L2-S4 (Scratch and Dent) forward clicky tailcap $13.99

I wonder if they'd swap the reverse clicky tailcap for the forward clicky one.

So what is the general consensus on Solarforce quality etc?

snare

Newly Enlightened
Threads that discuss the use of lights as weapons do not usually last long, as sooner or later the emphasis tends to shift away from the merits of the lights themselves to an aggressive discussion of how to inflict maximum injury on others, at which point the thread is usually closed.

Apart from one post, the discussion here has so far steered clear of bravado and violence, so on that basis it may continue.

DM51,

I apologize if anything I have written has been construed as such.

Mattedhead.

He instructs in the AVL area.

To anyone,

Is the sbflashlights.com site posted above still active? I have been searching the forum here and I think I saw that Jake25 owns and runs that business, but I thought I also saw that he may be redoing his site, perhaps. Unfortunately I still can not use the PM feature, so I have to ask here.

The L2 R looks promising so far.

Thanks!

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
jake25 owns the business, and he's still going.

I got a bunch of solarforce a day ago to test out from because of him, and from what I can tell, they are very good quality.

the crenelations are a tad bit too spikey for my tastes, though, but they may be perfect for you.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are two different styles of click switches. Forward, which allows a momentary on, and reverse which you must fully engage (click) before the light will turn on. Forward clickies stick out further and are usually left easier to access, thus protruding from the end for ease of activation, especially in gloves. Reverse clickies are more compact and are easier to cycle through multimode UIs with for many people.
Personally I don't like reverse clickies all that much. You could buy an extra tailswitch and use a reverse clickie with a tactical head, yes it will work. But you loose easy momentary activation due to the switch type.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, I missed your question earlier.

The site is still very much active - in fact, there are a couple of Solarforce/SBFlashlight threads in the "Dealer's Corner" forum.

The L2 and L2P run on 2 CR123s.

The L2-R runs on 2 AAs.

In short, it depends on the host you want - the SBFlashlight is pretty unique in that it allows you to customize the output you want after picking the host, which determines the types of batteries.

-Trevor