"EDC"... and marketing that phrase?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Curious...
I don't know that much about handgun and knife history, where the term Every Day Carry originated from (AFAIK).

Has anyone claimed that phrase as a trademarked product? Seems to me, someone in the business could register it as trademarked and instantly shut down a lot of manufacturer WWW sites... and claim the legal rights to use it on their products exclusively.

:popcorn:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone claimed that phrase as a trademarked product? Seems to me, someone in the business could register it as trademarked and instantly shut down a lot of manufacturer WWW sites... and claim the legal rights to use it on their products exclusively.

:popcorn:

Surely anyone else that wanted to use EDC could simply show evidence that the term was in use prior to it being registered and therefore nullify the trademark?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it would be very hard to enforce.

I admit it would be rather amusing to see someone try and shut down www.edc.ca

That is a Canadian Federal Government agency that has been using "EDC" since 1944.

youreacrab

Enlightened
Curious...
Seems to me, someone in the business could register it as trademarked and instantly shut down a lot of manufacturer WWW sites... and claim the legal rights to use it on their products exclusively.

if trademarks worked like this, then any malicious soul could hold for ransom anyone who did not register their trademark. this is not true.

I think it would be very hard to enforce.
I admit it would be rather amusing to see someone try and shut down www.edc.ca

a trademark like EDC would not simply foreclose every use of those letters.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are rules for words allowed in trademarks. You normally can not use any existing technical term.
My former company was called Xenon until the boss tried to register the name in the USA. No, cannot shut down every science school in the country and leave a hole in the Periodic Table. So the name of the company was changed to Zenon which was allowed.
Nite-Ize was not allowed to register Night Eyes.
Phoenix had to change its name to Fenix when they started to sell to the US.
M@g cannot use MagLIGHT, they had to settle for MagLITE.
Since a simple google search would turn up lots of references for EDC, I do not see a successful application for EDC at the Trademark office.

It is not like the internet where anybody can register a domain name not already in use.