EDC Light to replace L3 Illumination L11C

abyssCPF

Newly Enlightened
Howdy! I'm looking for something to replace my L3 L11c, carried in my pocket daily. Key features are:
1. small everyday carry size
2. clicky switch on back and pocket clip (ideally very similar style)
3. uniform shape from head to body, I don't like lights where the head is larger than the body since this is carried in a pocket.

Picture of light being replaced:

81gWkKJXE0L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest!

____Up to $300.

3) Format:

____I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:

____TINY - Every day carry (2-4 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

____LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:

____I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?

____I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AAA/AA/C/D sized cells common to most stores.
____I intend to use Rechargeable cells based on less common formats (18500 or 18650 Li-Ion, RCR123, et-al).

Prefer AA but would consider less common formats of similar size if the light speaks to me

7a) If you have selected a rechargeable option

____I want a separate/stand-alone charger (this involves removing the batteries to charge)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).

____I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
____I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

60-150 should do it but could go higher if available

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.

(Honestly not sure here, usually use it for walking at night, probably slight bias towards flood)

____All Flood: I am doing "arms length" tasks like reading and campsite cooking.

____Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.

____Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)

____Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output)

____30-60 minutes (I have plenty of batteries just ready to be changed)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
____I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
____I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

I rarely use 'low' mode so wouldn't mind just one mode. but more is OK too

____A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
____I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)
____I want multiple light levels. (Some lights have 5-16 light levels.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Looking for something high quality

____Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights).
____Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
____Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Water resistance
Nice to have some but not critical

16) Storage conditions

Pocket carried daily.

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
  • For pocket carry, I need something slim.
  • Must have a pocket clip mounted on the rear near the clicker
  • Head of light must be same size as body / battery area i.e. uniform size head to tail.

Thanks!

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak El Capitan with the momentary switch.
You can order a pocket clip from Oveready.
It'll literally last forever. USA made.
The Logan 17500 with the battery adapters is pretty sweet too…

Option 2, which is excellent as well:

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
A fancy option:

Another option:

Last edited:

abyssCPF

Newly Enlightened
I like the Manker and the ToolVN, thank you! If others have more recs in that vein (higher end lights) that would be awesome.

Appreciate your input!

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Manker and the ToolVN, thank you! If others have more recs in that vein (higher end lights) that would be awesome.

Appreciate your input!

The most dependable AA light (along with the Peak).

If you want absolute rock solid dependability for decades then you can't go wrong with the Malkoff or Peak. The other lights have higher output, are more fun, and require 3.7v batteries, but they are no Malkoff or Peak when it comes to dependability.

Malkoff runs off 1.2-1.5v batteries. Peak takes any battery type.

Although not AA, this light is fantastic as a pocket EDC light. You can order USA made Battery Station CR123 lights and the 3V keepPower 16340. This is one of my fav lights.

Last edited:

ledbetter

Enlightened
Big fan of L3 lights, and they run pretty well on 14500's. Also one of my favorite moonlight modes on their 4 level lights. But they do fail, especially if dropped. A Malkoff cr123 is similar weight/size with better performance and will not fail.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
For size comparisons: from left to right -- Malkoff CR123, Peak El Capitan AA Pocket Body, Malkoff AA
51698560945_37da8ebc97.jpg