EDC use and carry. Tethered or not? Poll

Happy with your purchase of Tri-Star 4D?

• Total voters

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heres a pic of my setup, I don't really EDC it, just when I need to..

sf2007a5ga.jpg

Linky fixied...

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
No, my EDC is a 2x123 light in a holster, so the risks of it slipping out of the holster or my hand are low.

I do use lanyards for smaller lights such as the Firefly, ARC, or E1e.

Raven

Enlightened
Yes, absolutely.

I like having the option of hanging my light upside down, if needed.

beezaur

Flashlight Enthusiast
I normally have a wrist lanyard attached to the light. It is not normally attached to anything, but I do use it regularly when I am doing something active.

When I am doing something really active, like fire department work, I clip the lanyard about mid-chest level to my coat or pack strap. The light is easy to grab with slippery wet gloves, and automatically lights my work area when I am bending over working on something. You do have to watch how you do it or the light will smack you in the face a lot. Short lights and lanyards are better.

Scott

Zigzago

Enlightened
My tether made from paracord:

mmm-lanyard-sm.jpg

Several times I've found the light hanging outside my front pocket, meaning it would have fallen somewhere if I wasn't using the tether.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Normally, I don't us a tether for EDC; light is either in pocket sans tether or on swivel belt clip. However, there are cases where I want the light attached or tethered so I can use it while still secured to my person. A very recent self portrait is case in point ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ):

McL-PD-UW-1.jpg

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KDOG3 said:
Heres a pic of my setup, I don't really EDC it, just when I need to..

sf2007a5ga.jpg

Linky fixied...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done, although you have more tether than light! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
I like the combination of materials/clips you chose.

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to tether my L4 that I edc, but I find myself in awkward positions throughout the day, often I would not be able to replace the light where it came from until I move.. Double edged sword..
Watch for my next thread.. "I lost my L4" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put the loop around my belt/belt loop and use the other clip (near the light) to hook to load bearing suspenders, or zipper loop on the chest pocket on my jacket. It works great, even though I'm short, it won't hit the ground when I let it go, even from chest height. Botach Tactical sells them for 9.95. The Mr. Tactical Lanyard/Gear Keeper. Get one.

ob1

Newly Enlightened
I carry my Peak 1AAA 3 led around my neck with hollowed out 550 cord. My Streamlight lux jr i have in a Minimag leather holster on my belt with no tether.

vhyper007

Enlightened
Good Morning,
Someone quoted:

However, I do carry an Arc AAA on a breakaway neck lanyard.

There are as many ways to use a lanyard as there are lights, well almost. The purposes are basic; to not lose the light and to have the light where you want it all the time.

Those who use a neck lanyard of hollowed out paracord beware. We of LEO ilk know the hazards of neck carry of anything. Civilians should know it also. Anything that goes around your neck should be breakaway. Hollowed paracord is NOT breakaway.
Your chance of having someone grab your neck lanyard are smaller than ours but if you get choked you are just as dead. That is why we wear breakaway neckties. Dead is dead. Civvie or LEO.

ANYTHING THAT GOES AROUND YOUR NECK IS BREAKAWAY. PERIOD. NO EXCEPTION.

My dogma.
Stay safe,

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
For neck lanyards, are bead dog tag like chains breakaway? On most of my tethers the belt loop is the break away point since I figure they will give before I'm dragged away, light I'm not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-LT

hideo

Enlightened
single cell lights, always, in the left front pocket wih a loop of paracord thru the eyelet on a BP clip which clips to the paracord little finger lanyard (or O ring) that all my small lights and folding knives and other pocket tools have ...

... lost far too many small items (can't even think about dropping McL4, Mclux, BlackBird, modded arcs or CNC-123 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif ) and as a number of people have pointed out, it's frequently handy to be able to leave the light lit and hanging

hideo

DimBeam

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
vhyper007 said:
Good Morning,
Someone quoted:

However, I do carry an Arc AAA on a breakaway neck lanyard.

There are as many ways to use a lanyard as there are lights, well almost. The purposes are basic; to not lose the light and to have the light where you want it all the time.

Those who use a neck lanyard of hollowed out paracord beware. We of LEO ilk know the hazards of neck carry of anything. Civilians should know it also. Anything that goes around your neck should be breakaway. Hollowed paracord is NOT breakaway.
Your chance of having someone grab your neck lanyard are smaller than ours but if you get choked you are just as dead. That is why we wear breakaway neckties. Dead is dead. Civvie or LEO.

ANYTHING THAT GOES AROUND YOUR NECK IS BREAKAWAY. PERIOD. NO EXCEPTION.

My dogma.
Stay safe,

[/ QUOTE ]

I second what vhyper007 said about breakaway lanyards. I manufactured and sold them for years and I could tell you hundreds of gruesome stories about people getting killed using a non-breakaway lanyard.