EDC use and carry. Tethered or not? Poll

Happy with your purchase of Tri-Star 4D?

• Total voters

STEVENT6

Enlightened
My small lights are worn on a neck lanyard. Larger ones in a belt case, pocket, or jacket pocket. I have a wrist lanyard on all lights not worn on a neck lanyard. For outdoor use, I use homemade lanyards made of cord and little o and d-rings. I know lanyards can get in the way. I may not use them much while in an urban area. But I consider them worthwhile. If anything to prevent losing the light. If I'm outdoors camping or backpacking and I find I don't have a lanyard on a knife, light, etc. I'll sometimes make one out of string or cord from my survival kit.

Reptilezs

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lunal_Tic said:
For neck lanyards, are bead dog tag like chains breakaway? On most of my tethers the belt loop is the break away point since I figure they will give before I'm dragged away, light I'm not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-LT

[/ QUOTE ]

dog tag bead chain is breakaway. infact it has ALOT of break away points.

The_virus

Enlightened
I'm currently in transition as far as my EDC goes. I used to carry a Mini Mag AA in their belt holster everywhere, but after collecting flashlights for a few years I realized it didn't make sense for me to carry one of my worst lights with me at all times!

As I type this, I have the old Mini Mag still in place, but I also have a PT Impact II clipped to my right hip pocket. It's a secure clip with lots of surface area contact so it's not going anywhere. I've also recently purchased a Gerber Infinity Ultra which I'm experimenting with, the clip seems secure, but I'm cautious so I could have a lanyard (belt loop attatched) in my near future.

I have what is supposed to be my EDC replacement on order from BrightGuy, a Streamlight JR Luxeon. I'll see how it fares with my current Mag flap holster, I might have to get something bigger (longer) since the JR is slightly longer than a AA Mag, I might also mod my Mag with a Luxeon, since I know it would be better and still fit in the holster.

We'll see, as I said, I'm in trasition at this point but I don't use tethers or lanyards right now.

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
DimBeam said:
I second what vhyper007 said about breakaway lanyards. I manufactured and sold them for years and I could tell you hundreds of gruesome stories about people getting killed using a non-breakaway lanyard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes you wonder about all those folks walking around with their ID tags or fancy handphones on non-breakaway lanyards. You know the kind, the cheaply made quick-detach style that you get free or get issued. Those synthetics can be surprisingly strong.

I don't wear anything around my neck but if I do, I'd like the BP style cord pulls. Those are meant to break away under pressure, Surefire uses them as well.

Slazmo

Enlightened
Sorry for the EXTREME grave dig - but for those that still read this.

I make jesus juice and on my time off I make these lanyards.

2.6mm Nylon (self) coiled cord - with gutted paracord outer, nylon bounds ends and heat shrunk to 200lb ball bearing swivels at each end; which do not bind ever and provide complete free twist. The belt clip is a stainless steel type, and the connector clip I am still deciding with these clips however using small lobster style black clips which are holding very well so far on all of my own and those sold!

I wear them to work every day and have them attached to a Leatherman Wingman and another to my Inova X1-GT
SlaskisStraps-201302231_zps2fa688ae.jpg
SlaskisStraps-201302232_zpsf5dd57b0.jpg

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm currently in transition as far as my EDC goes. I used to carry a Mini Mag AA in their belt holster everywhere, but after collecting flashlights for a few years I realized it didn't make sense for me to carry one of my worst lights with me at all times!

As I type this, I have the old Mini Mag still in place, but I also have a PT Impact II clipped to my right hip pocket. It's a secure clip with lots of surface area contact so it's not going anywhere. I've also recently purchased a Gerber Infinity Ultra which I'm experimenting with, the clip seems secure, but I'm cautious so I could have a lanyard (belt loop attatched) in my near future.

I have what is supposed to be my EDC replacement on order from BrightGuy, a Streamlight JR Luxeon. I'll see how it fares with my current Mag flap holster, I might have to get something bigger (longer) since the JR is slightly longer than a AA Mag, I might also mod my Mag with a Luxeon, since I know it would be better and still fit in the holster.

We'll see, as I said, I'm in trasition at this point but I don't use tethers or lanyards right now.

A friend of mine had a Gerber Recon on his keychain that he dropped a few times that will not come on sometimes without tapping on it but it is a $20-$25 light and not really tough enough for keychain duty.