EDC - Watch

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's Time I paid tribute to my EDC watch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like digital watches - I know people who detest them and mock them - but for me they give the functionality I want without over complex dial/faces.

I don't deliberately choose cheap watches - but am always on the look-out for great value for money.

Timex.jpg

The (obviously) older watch on the right was bought back in October/1997 - so that's 7+ years and it's swam with me at the Great Barrier Reef in Australia - been touring in China twice - out in the serious downpour in Scotland in January when even "serious" hi-tech rain-gear got soaked through.

...and you can see it still keeps on "ticking" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif - albeit the digits will dim/disappear if I now press any button - but that's 7+ years! - and I only replaced it with another Timex last November because the bracelet broke........ and I wanted a new watch......

Timex at one time were a joke to me -
even with the advent of the LCD digital watch - Casio far out stripped almost any other maker in terms of bang for the buck, and I was a confirmed Casio watch wearer -
until one day I started to see Timex digitals with what they called "All Day Indiglo" - that iridescent green reflective background - even then they still were pretty cheesey and cheap looking.

The Ironman/Trialthlon series started to get my attention for usable functions - although most of the time they were still a bit "gimmicky" - then they started to get better looking - or shall we say less cheesey......

To the point where I was tempted enough to buy one - hey, they were just around $30 for even an up-market one.............

So that model # 62947 Ironman Triathlon has served me well for over 7 years on the same stock battery.... and retired because its bracelet broke - I replaced it with a very similar looking model (# 53952) and I am very pleased with that too, it's easily available at places like Wal-Mart for just under $33.

Stock Photos:
da_1_b.JPG
HOTLINKING NOT ALLOWED - PIC DELETED.

EDIT to Add -
Sorry about the non-showing of photos -
one of the hotlinked photos seem to knock out all the rest -
hopefully it's been fixed now -
by hotlinking another image.

Last edited by a moderator:

TimAckerman

Newly Enlightened
I remember back when i used to wear Timex digital watches. They are cheap watches, but they last and are well made for their price! I still have my original one, probably about 13 years old now, and still works great.

I have since gone through quite a few watches, but my current and favorite is a Swiss Army - Original. It is the best watch i have ever had, and it has never let me down. It is WELL made and i have put it through a lot and it still keeps on ticking.

I would not hesitate to buy another!

gregw45

Newly Enlightened
Hey, that watch looks familiar! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

timex.jpg

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TimAckerman said: my current and favorite is a Swiss Army - Original. It is the best watch i have ever had, and it has never let me down. It is WELL made and i have put it through a lot and it still keeps on ticking.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Swiss Army Original was an extremely popular and "fashionable" watch at one time.

Here's a bit of trivia -

The Swiss Army "Original" was not made by Victorinox - or even sanctioned by them at one time.......

They were marketed by Swiss Army Brands (SAB) a subsidiary of RH Forschner - the official importer and distributor of the Victorinox SAK in the USA.

So they actually had the rights to use the Victorinox (scalloped shield Swiss cross) logo in the USA (for obvious marketing and promotion purposes) - so they had a watch made for them in Switzerland and put the actual Victorinox scalloped Swiss cross shield on it......

Swiss Army Brands even went as far as to actually brand a series of watches "Victorinox" with the same logo -
ala this watch I have -
Detail_Watch.jpg

In fact, Victorinox Switzerland were pretty p*ssed with Swiss Army Brands for doing that.
So much so that they were asked to desist and I think the watches with the Victorinox official scalloped shield logo went off the market -
the exact same Swiss Army "original" watches were sold outside of the USA - where Swiss Army Brands/RH Forschner did NOT have to rights to use the Victorinox logo -
with a logo of a Swiss cross in an oval with laurel leaf round it......

So the Swiss Army "Original" was not actually a Victorinox watch at all -
but a Swiss Army Brands watch.....

Of course since then Victorinox bought up Swiss Army Brands - so the watches originally marketed by SAB - are now officially Victorinox watches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Money talks.......

Regardless of history, and who originated those watches -
the Swiss Army "Original" was a really good watch - as a lot of people can attest.

lahjik

Newly Enlightened
As a school administrator (director of a regional school library system) I more time than I like in a suit. As such I felt I probably needed to have a nice-looking watch. The problem is that "nice-looking" in conservative/administrative dress means analog and I can't tell analog time to save my life. I am relatively young (27) and grew up in a geek household without a single analog clock/watch.

Thus, my watch is an appropriately showy watch of no significance that I simply wear because it is an expected accoutrament for a well-dressed administrator. I tell time off of my palmOne handheld computer.

Maybe I should switch to one of the showy LED binary watches from ThinkGeek.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
So far, my Luminox has passed the toughness test. It's seen the pool, sauna, steam room, chlorine, a little bit of acid and some rock climbing and it's kept on ticking. I'm still slightly concerned about the lens being more or less flush with the bezel, something that will probably lead to scratching over time but so far it's no problem. And it hasn't been diving yet, but it *should* handle that okay. .

TomH

Newly Enlightened
I currently have 21 wristwatches in my collection, however I only wear 2 of them, and alternate wearing them from one day to the next.

The first watch is a Hamilton Khaki mechanical 38mm
khakimech.jpg

Second watch is a US issue Stocker and Yale 490 W-46374E
SandY490eProfile.jpg

The Hamilton is, IMHO, a very handsome watch, and it's built like a tank. The SandY 490 has a coolness factor about it, as it's a genuine US military issued watch that you don't see many other people wearing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pics courtesy of watch sellers.

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a cheap analog for EMS calls but have stopped wearing a watch every day. I've got clocks in my bedroom, two in my living room(One radio synced.),TV,VCR, computer, two in my car and just about everywhere I work.
If not available in a worse case I look at my cell phone.

What I want is a backlit LCD watch that can switch between an analog and digital format.

paulr

Flashaholic
For outdoors I like my Casio Forester "Fishing Time", one of the few watches I know of that tells you the time of sunrise and sunset. It's nice to know when it will get dark out or light out. They do have a few other watches with this feature but the Forester is the least cumbersome.

TomH

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Mike Painter said:
What I want is a backlit LCD watch that can switch between an analog and digital format.

[/ QUOTE ]

Suunto makes a watch that you might be interested in. It's called the n3i Wristop computer. I have found pictures of some of the different faces that this watch can display below. Couldn't find any good pics of the watch itself, but if you go to www.suunto.com you should have no problem finding it.

n3i_face_1.gif

n3i_face_2.gif

n3i_face_3.gif

n3i_face_4.gif

n3i_face_6.gif

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'm forced to, once again, post the pic of my bulletproof, cheap, and only automatic, Vostok KGB. Please don't laugh.

Vostok2.jpg

Now, when I'm really stylin', I'll snap on the Casio. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Casio2.jpg

Geoff

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a couple of Casio digitals that I wear when I'm working on my car, bicycling, etc. Even if I was wearing a pretty nice watch I always looked longingly at other watches I saw. I finally decided that I don't have to own just one nice watch, and I don't have to spend a lot of money to have a watch that I think is nice. So now I have several Seiko automatics, an Invicta, and an Elysee. The most expensive was $112. I'll wear one for a week, then switch to the next one for the next week, and so on.

TimAckerman

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
UnknownVT said:
[ QUOTE ]
TimAckerman said: my current and favorite is a Swiss Army - Original. It is the best watch i have ever had, and it has never let me down. It is WELL made and i have put it through a lot and it still keeps on ticking.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Swiss Army Original was an extremely popular and "fashionable" watch at one time.

Here's a bit of trivia -

The Swiss Army "Original" was not made by Victorinox - or even sanctioned by them at one time.......

They were marketed by Swiss Army Brands (SAB) a subsidiary of RH Forschner - the official importer and distributor of the Victorinox SAK in the USA.

So they actually had the rights to use the Victorinox (scalloped shield Swiss cross) logo in the USA (for obvious marketing and promotion purposes) - so they had a watch made for them in Switzerland and put the actual Victorinox scalloped Swiss cross shield on it......

Swiss Army Brands even went as far as to actually brand a series of watches "Victorinox" with the same logo -
ala this watch I have -
Detail_Watch.jpg

In fact, Victorinox Switzerland were pretty p*ssed with Swiss Army Brands for doing that.
So much so that they were asked to desist and I think the watches with the Victorinox official scalloped shield logo went off the market -
the exact same Swiss Army "original" watches were sold outside of the USA - where Swiss Army Brands/RH Forschner did NOT have to rights to use the Victorinox logo -
with a logo of a Swiss cross in an oval with laurel leaf round it......

So the Swiss Army "Original" was not actually a Victorinox watch at all -
but a Swiss Army Brands watch.....

Of course since then Victorinox bought up Swiss Army Brands - so the watches originally marketed by SAB - are now officially Victorinox watches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Money talks.......

Regardless of history, and who originated those watches -
the Swiss Army "Original" was a really good watch - as a lot of people can attest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool i didn't know any of that!

Very interesting

cy

Flashaholic
here's my EDC. notice chips in the crystal, don't believe in babying my watches. wear it working on cars all the time.

luv that rhino band!

rhino 2.JPG

Arcoholic

Enlightened
Omega x33 has all the functions one could possibly need. I really love the countdown timer comes in really handy with e-bay auction ends. The backlight is killer and the alarm is the loudest money can buy.
i alternate the x33 with a Seamaster gmt find both of them very casual and dressy enough.

2dim

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
For outdoors I like my Casio Forester "Fishing Time", one of the few watches I know of that tells you the time of sunrise and sunset. It's nice to know when it will get dark out or light out. They do have a few other watches with this feature but the Forester is the least cumbersome.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recently got the Pathfinder, which I think is similar, for only $19.95 CAD on clearance at Dominion grocery store in Toronto, Canada. Several neat features, but no countdown timer unfortunately. Also a little heavy on my wrist, but at that price...other Casios were available too, at the same cost, if anyone's interested.

Latest posts