El Capitan Questions

Wurkkos

StylisticGambit

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a new AA light. Someone on another thread suggested an El Capitan. I was having hard time finding information about the Peak lights, and had a few specific questions.

1. Looking to have max brightness 20-30 lumens on single eneloop. What head should I get? #4? #5? Can't find a lumen table anywhere.

2. Can I join a #4 head to a QTC body for variable 0-20 lumen operation? From what I gather, the QTC can make it hard to find the really low (0.1 lumen) brightness settings. As I don't need more than 20-30 lumens, would a different head besides #8 make this easier?

3. I'd like the keyring body for versatility. Can I tail stand the light with keyring removed? Is it waterproof this way? If not, is there something I could screw into the end that would allow the light to tail stand and still keep the water out?

Thanks!

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
1. Not sure why not just get a QTC body? Peak do not seem to be making levels other than #8 now. Even on custom orders for #4, they will give you #8.
2. Yes you can join them. I think it would be easier to scale a #4 down since the twist action is linear with compression of the QTC.
3. Yes you can tail stand with the stub removed or better yet with a momentary switch installed. Not sure about waterpoofness with just the keychain nub removed. Peak do sell flat screws to replace the nub.

StylisticGambit

Newly Enlightened
Norm, according to your table, a #5 produces about 22 OTF lumens and a #4 produces about 18 OTF lumens on NIMH. I think either of these would be fine with me. With #6 and above, I see a big decrease in efficiency.

eala, thanks for the info. Maybe you'll be able to answer this question too. If I take a #5 head (22 lumens) and stick it on a QTC body, will the light go all the way up to 22 lumens? In other words, when the OTF is 100% compressed, does it have no resistance?

It may be unusual for me to request a #5 head with a QTC body from Peak, but as far as I can tell, it gives me two things:

1. It should be easier for me to find the really low (0.1-0.5) lumen brightnesses with the QTC. These are the settings I plan on using 70% of the time.

2. I never plan on using this light for anything more than 20 lumens. If the QTC ever fails or is malfunctioning, I can remove it and still have a 20 lumen light. I would prefer to have a 20 lumen light than a 100 lumen light.

Is my reasoning sound? Do you think Peak would honor such a request?

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
If you can get the #5 head, then your plan will work. A QTC is not like a resistor, as far as I know, but the general principal is correct.

I had a #4 neutral wide Eiger and I used to do the same thing as you are planning. Lost it in the summer. Pissed.

eala

manoloco

Enlightened
Norm, according to your table, a #5 produces about 22 OTF lumens and a #4 produces about 18 OTF lumens on NIMH. I think either of these would be fine with me. With #6 and above, I see a big decrease in efficiency.

eala, thanks for the info. Maybe you'll be able to answer this question too. If I take a #5 head (22 lumens) and stick it on a QTC body, will the light go all the way up to 22 lumens? In other words, when the OTF is 100% compressed, does it have no resistance?

It may be unusual for me to request a #5 head with a QTC body from Peak, but as far as I can tell, it gives me two things:

1. It should be easier for me to find the really low (0.1-0.5) lumen brightnesses with the QTC. These are the settings I plan on using 70% of the time.

2. I never plan on using this light for anything more than 20 lumens. If the QTC ever fails or is malfunctioning, I can remove it and still have a 20 lumen light. I would prefer to have a 20 lumen light than a 100 lumen light.

Is my reasoning sound? Do you think Peak would honor such a request?

Your reasoning is sound, however and this is a plus for you, if QTC fails you dont need to remove it as the contact will be full on demand, it never fails into no output, when it fails the pill is designed to default to full on operation guaranteed. to me this is a plus since you dont need to disassemble anything to get this.

notrefined

Enlightened
I've placed a couple custom orders with peak. My last order, I asked for #4 output heads with LEDs I provided. I got back all #8s. The way their business has been going, I suspect I am lucky to have gotten anything back at all. If you are not looking for a custom LED, I would suggest posting a WTB thread on the marketplace, or if necessary buying an el cap #8 from one of the dealers and posting a WTT.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
RMSK has some alumimum #4 Logans on sale. I think the Logan head will fit the El Capitan body. Maybe he'll lego one for you....perhaps you can offer an extra few bucks for his trouble.