electrically conducting pen? Or..

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking at a nice 14 mm star with xml t6 4c that I probably broke. I tried 22/3 gauge wire, as recommended from googling. But for the p60, I need to bend wires 90 degrees backward. This broke both soldering pads off star. Now, nothing to solder onto.Years ago, I was able to solder directly to xre LED, but this isn't working for me this year on the xml, (I assume contact are now on back side of led). Obviously, I need metal to solder onto. But how should I recreate the pad. I am thinking electric pen, but too costly and doubt it would work.

No, you can't solder on to conductive pen. It sounds like you soldered the wires and then tried to bend them. You should bend the wires to the solder pad and then solder into place. You can remove the LED and rebuild the 3 little pads with wire, but that is way too much work. Stars are cheap - I'd get a new one.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I could get a blank star for a few cents, it might make sense to use OldLumens method of re-flowing onto new star. But, probably wouldn't work.

Yep, I may be out $5. But such a beautiful led, and she died so young :shakehead.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
You could use trace tape but you'd have to unsolder the emitter from the star anyway to use it properly (how I would do it anyway). Too much trouble for what it's worth though, I would just reflow solder the emitter onto a new star.