electrician headlamp

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would go with the H502w because it is a little brighter. With a mule (all flood) light, you want as much lumens as possible. The tint of my H502w is very nice.

BRAAP

Newly Enlightened
Great, ordered 502w, thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

slindsay02

Newly Enlightened
I am an electrician and I have used the Rayovac "indestructible" available at Home Depot on the shelf for about $13. It is guaranteed for life and super bright. I also take it hiking with me

Charles L.

Enlightened
At less than two months old, my Armytek Wizard's UI is already acting quirky. My Zebralight H600 at one year old is doing just fine (as are all my ZL's). The small, stiff, exposed button on the Wizard also instills less confidence in long term durability than the Zebralight's recessed button. Can't say I agree that Armytek feels sturdier than ZL. Kinda feel the opposite, in fact.

jbrett14

Enlightened
As one who has used my ZL headlights plenty of times for electrical work, you guys are going to love it. I am a kitchen & bath remodeler who uses mine primarily for electrical, plumbing, & drywall work.

I love the size of the AA model, and I still use mine, but because I found myself using mostly high mode, it just didn't have the run time I needed. So I went for the 18650 model which has a much longer run time. Both put out a "perfect" flood of light though.

Just be prepared to change the battery every hour if you plan on using it in high mode.

BRAAP

Newly Enlightened
ZL 502w showed up today, HELLO FLOODY! :thumbsup: Love it, thank you davidt1 for the recommendation. Perfect for working in panels on the lower brightness settings, quick burst of High when needing to scout about in a dark corridor.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
ZL 502w showed up today, HELLO FLOODY! :thumbsup: Love it, thank you davidt1 for the recommendation. Perfect for working in panels on the lower brightness settings, quick burst of High when needing to scout about in a dark corridor.

I am glad you find the light useful. May I make some suggestions to make it even more useful?

1. Add some magnets to the swiveling clip for more hand-free options when you don't want to use it as a headlamp.

2. Replace the stock lamp holder with Velcro so that the clip is attached to the light at all times.

Magnets, shrink tubing, and Velcro are things a professional like you probably use already.
x7_zps289316ab.jpg

Replace the stock lamp holder with a piece of Velcro and wrap some magnets around the clip with shrink tubing and you have an even more useful H502w.
xx1_zps0820d2f4.jpg

With the Velcro lamp holder you can keep the clip on the light at all times.
x2_zps9838b58b.jpg

For those times you want to use your H502w hand-free but not as a headlamp
X1_zps7ed8a373.jpg

x5_zpseffe7197.jpg

Overall size is smaller than with the stock lamp holder while versatility and usefulness increase.
x9_zps81b2dda6.jpg

Last edited:

BRAAP

Newly Enlightened
I am glad you find the light useful. May I make some suggestions to make it even more useful?

1. Add some magnets to the swiveling clip for more hand-free uses when you don't want to use it as a headlamp.

2. Replace the stock lamp holder with Velcro so that the clip is attached to the light at all times.

Magnets, shrink tubing, and Velcro are things a professional like you probably use already.

Replace the stock lamp holder with a piece Velcro and wrap some magnets around the clip with shrink tubing and you have an even more useful H502w.

Overall size is smaller than with the stock lamp holder while versatility and usefulness increase.
x9_zps81b2dda6.jpg

EXCELLENT idea, shrink tubing strong Neo mags to the clip and using Velcro straps for head lamp duty, ingenious. :thumbsup:
K&J Magnetics is a GREAT source for the magnets, (purchased from them a handful of times now).

Thank you again davidt1,
Paul

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
As one who has used my ZL headlights plenty of times for electrical work, you guys are going to love it. I am a kitchen & bath remodeler who uses mine primarily for electrical, plumbing, & drywall work.

I love the size of the AA model, and I still use mine, but because I found myself using mostly high mode, it just didn't have the run time I needed. So I went for the 18650 model which has a much longer run time. Both put out a "perfect" flood of light though.

Just be prepared to change the battery every hour if you plan on using it in high mode.

Yeah, I was going through 3 Eneloops a day until I changed the H2 mode to 100lm. Now I use 2 batteries a day. I carry a spare with me so I am good for about six hours no matter where I am.

Charles L.

Enlightened
Davidt1, that is a great set-up. You are also a testament to ZL reliability -- I don't know anyone who uses a headlamp more than you.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see my ZL lights more as all-in-one angle lights and less as headlamps.

As far as reliability goes, most of my ZL lights have been solid. My first ZL the H501 was 3 year old when I lost it. H51w was also about 3 year old when I traded it. H52w is over a year old now. H502w was purchased recently.

I had to return one H502 from the first batch along time ago because it was acting weird. This happened right away after receiving it.

shanky887614

Newly Enlightened
EXCELLENT idea, shrink tubing strong Neo mags to the clip and using Velcro straps for head lamp duty, ingenious. :thumbsup:
K&J Magnetics is a GREAT source for the magnets, (purchased from them a handful of times now).

Thank you again davidt1,
Paul
get the magnets from old hard drives.

people throw them away so cheap to get