Electronic Barking Dogs

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Oct 24, 2001
Messages
1,336
Location
N 40.711561 W 74.011753
Any opinions about how useful or effective this thing is? I recall seeing something like it at a Brookstone or Sharper Image some time ago, but it's hard to tell if it would seem realistic from behind closed doors.
Would it really ward off any crooks, or is it more like a joke?

Ewd.gif


The blurb:

This alarm uses the same advanced technology as some police radar systems. When an intruder comes within 20 feet, barking dog alarm will begin barking like a true to life angry German Shepherd. The closer they come, the more frequent and more threatening the barking becomes.

This electronic watch dog is ideal for homes, apartments, mobile homes and RV's.
With microwave technology, electronic barking dog alarm is able to "see' through walls and actually determines when someone is approaching. It knows how close they are. If an intruder comes within 20 feet, it will begin barking like a true to life angry German Shepherd.
Deputy Dawg
 

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Joined
Oct 19, 2003
Messages
13,425
Location
In a handbasket
[ QUOTE ]
Wingerr said:
Any opinions about how useful or effective this thing is? I recall seeing something like it at a Brookstone or Sharper Image some time ago, but it's hard to tell if it would seem realistic from behind closed doors.
Would it really ward off any crooks, or is it more like a joke?

Ewd.gif


The blurb:

This alarm uses the same advanced technology as some police radar systems. When an intruder comes within 20 feet, barking dog alarm will begin barking like a true to life angry German Shepherd. The closer they come, the more frequent and more threatening the barking becomes.

This electronic watch dog is ideal for homes, apartments, mobile homes and RV's.
With microwave technology, electronic barking dog alarm is able to "see' through walls and actually determines when someone is approaching. It knows how close they are. If an intruder comes within 20 feet, it will begin barking like a true to life angry German Shepherd.
Deputy Dawg

[/ QUOTE ]

I have one. It's ok, I guess. I think the average crook would think that it was a real German Shepherd or other guard dog, but if an inquisitive crook stuck around long enough, it might become apparent that the barking eventually repeats it's pattern. I think it's nice as a backup system for a real alarm system, good locks and alert neighbors (all of which I have). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
 

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
1,347
Let me know if you guys want some other Barking Dog recordings, incase those sound repetitive. I'll get Nitro to make you some. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif
 

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Oct 24, 2001
Messages
1,336
Location
N 40.711561 W 74.011753
[ QUOTE ]
Nitro said:
Let me know if you guys want some other Barking Dog recordings, incase those sound repetitive. I'll get Nitro to make you some. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I was actually thinking of making a recording with my MP3 recorder and rigging something up to play it when the doorbell rings, but didn't know where to find a snarly dog sound source! Does he sound really scary? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
 

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Oct 24, 2001
Messages
1,336
Location
N 40.711561 W 74.011753
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:

I have one. It's ok, I guess. I think the average crook would think that it was a real German Shepherd or other guard dog, but if an inquisitive crook stuck around long enough, it might become apparent that the barking eventually repeats it's pattern. I think it's nice as a backup system for a real alarm system, good locks and alert neighbors (all of which I have). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it play at a loud enough volume to sound authentic though? The one in the store didn't hit the decibel level that I think a real doggie with healthy lungs can manage, but I suppose placed right behind the door, it could be assumed that he was in the house some ways off.
How long does the cycle run before repeating, if it's not randomized? I guess even a real dog might have a certain repertoire before he too starts repeating himself.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
 

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 27, 2004
Messages
1,347
[ QUOTE ]
Wingerr said:
[ QUOTE ]
Nitro said:
Let me know if you guys want some other Barking Dog recordings, incase those sound repetitive. I'll get Nitro to make you some. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif I was actually thinking of making a recording with my MP3 recorder and rigging something up to play it when the doorbell rings, but didn't know where to find a snarly dog sound source! Does he sound really scary? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, he's still a pup, (one year old) so he doesn't sound scary to me. Everyone else is afraid of him though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
 

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Joined
Oct 19, 2003
Messages
13,425
Location
In a handbasket
[ QUOTE ]
Wingerr said:
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:

I have one. It's ok, I guess. I think the average crook would think that it was a real German Shepherd or other guard dog, but if an inquisitive crook stuck around long enough, it might become apparent that the barking eventually repeats it's pattern. I think it's nice as a backup system for a real alarm system, good locks and alert neighbors (all of which I have). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it play at a loud enough volume to sound authentic though? The one in the store didn't hit the decibel level that I think a real doggie with healthy lungs can manage, but I suppose placed right behind the door, it could be assumed that he was in the house some ways off.
How long does the cycle run before repeating, if it's not randomized? I guess even a real dog might have a certain repertoire before he too starts repeating himself.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It can get pretty loud if you crank up the volume. It has a decent-sized speaker in it, and the cabinet itself also resonates a little bit, so that helps. I'll have to test the pattern-repeat issue again; it's been awhile and I forget how long it takes before it repeats. I think it has several different bark patterns in it that it chooses at random.
 
Top