Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I respect the quality of the products from manufacturers like Streamlight, Surefire, Elzetta, and Malkoff, but like the discussion of the battery types shows, there are trade-offs. The main issue with them is that these brands make products for law enforcement and military in mind hence their designs, outputs, and purpose is really for those clients rather than a general user. They often focus on durability and simple modes for reliability and predictable output. That's great for a LEO and military user, but for a general user or even an outdoor user, it's far from practical and in fact, detrimental. Many products of these US-made, tactically-mind products only have two modes, if that. Not exactly great for flexibility and optimizing run times vs. output. Also, like the latest posts show, makers often prioritize the use of primaries for reliability over rechargeable lithium ions. I get why, as primary lithiums have a long shelf life, are less sensitive to extreme temperatures, and less prone to failures from battery chemistry. This makes them better for use in mission-critical situations or where you simply just need it to work on the first try. However, always using primaries on a power-hungry tactical flashlight isn't economical. As a guy who often went camping with a SL Scorpion and a Surefire 6P two decades ago, I loved their intense output, but didn't like how their single modes drained the expensive batteries. I ended up only using them when I really had to. Now, a lot of the Chinese brands offer flexibility with multiple outputs and modes, so the user, not the maker, has more control over the product and its use. I appreciate this approach given I really don't use a flashlight for tactical purposes.

Simply put, I think US-made brands like Elzetta, Surefire, and the like make excellent products but really only for the tactical user. For a weapon-mounted light, these are the best ones to get given the durability, reliability, and simple output modes. However, for general use or even outdoor recreation, I find brands like Fenix, Klarus, Nitecore, etc. to make much better overall products given all the options you have with them ranging from outputs, modes, to battery types.

I'd like to buy an Elzetta or Malkoff one day, but for me to justify that, I'd need a few of my other flashlights to fail and break first.

You are exactly correct. I would only add that Malkoff is not in that group, as they offer a variety of beam tints, modes, battery configurations, etc. Most are optimized for rechargeable cells.

Regarding Elzetta, they are a persnickety bunch. Whereas most manufacturers listen to what their customers want, Elzetta makes what Elzetta wants and tells their customers what they should want.

Dig my AVS and all. Just saying.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
After boring an Elzetta body are there any issues with different tailcaps not working? It seems like the hi/low and the strobe tails wouldn't have much for the little pin to contact.

terjee

Enlightened
On the whole CR123A vs. 18650 for LEO/duty use, there are a few important details that easily gets forgotten. It's easy to look at the batteries and say they're fine - and that's typically the case - but these things are so much about life cycle management and logistics.

I do think 18650s could work for a lot of cases, it shouldn't be too hard to flood the supply lines with good cells for example (the discount would have to be huge on something like that).

But even so you're still left with issues like cell availability. Are any of the big name manufacturers okay with their unprotected 18650s being used "naked" in duty lights, and willing to commit?

There are also products missing. You'd want reasonably priced charging stations that could handle a lot of cells, do diagnostics on them, fully charge, and give green/yellow/red indicators, where only green goes back in the field.

Even with all of that covered, you still have the issues that a rechargeable would see a lot more damage over its lifetime, than a primary would.

And even if you account for that somehow, would you trust ALL the cops in New York City to grok how bad an idea it would be to drop an 18650 cell into a pocket with keys?

I'm all for 18650s, but there challenges.

And are there but enough rewards to take the cost of those challenges? I get if some doesn't feel that there is.

If I was a part of the supply chain though, I'd still start by tossing out some feelers to see if there's anyone that'd be interested in making the chargers for it, and look into a limited beta project to evaluate and gain some experience.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I respect the quality of the products from manufacturers like Streamlight, Surefire, Elzetta, and Malkoff, but like the discussion of the battery types shows, there are trade-offs. The main issue with them is that these brands make products for law enforcement and military in mind hence their designs, outputs, and purpose is really for those clients rather than a general user. They often focus on durability and simple modes for reliability and predictable output. That's great for a LEO and military user, but for a general user or even an outdoor user, it's far from practical and in fact, detrimental.

< Snip >

I'd like to buy an Elzetta or Malkoff one day, but for me to justify that, I'd need a few of my other flashlights to fail and break first.

100% in agreement. Best post in this thread in my view.

When the "fan-base" think they should tweak things to their individual tastes, then call the manufacturer stubborn or worse...

I mean it is what it is. If you don't like it, don't buy it. Elzetta probably won't go bankrupt if the 25 or so CPF members who buy them stop buying them.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Sometimes this thread makes me want to
smashing-laptop-with-bat.gif

Then Neko steps in and calms my nerves...

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
After boring an Elzetta body are there any issues with different tailcaps not working? It seems like the hi/low and the strobe tails wouldn't have much for the little pin to contact.

This certainly depends on the precision of the bore job. I have four that were bored by Oveready, and three have high/low tailcaps and one has a high/strobe. I've never had an instance of the lights not working properly. It's true that the edge of the body is reduced in thickness, but (at least with mine) it doesn't cause a problem.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
This certainly depends on the precision of the bore job. I have four that were bored by Oveready, and three have high/low tailcaps and one has a high/strobe. I've never had an instance of the lights not working properly. It's true that the edge of the body is reduced in thickness, but (at least with mine) it doesn't cause a problem.

Any chance you could post a pic of an Oveready bored body vs a stock one so we can see the difference in thickness? Thanks:thumbsup:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can take a phot later this afternoon.

I'm not sure when Oveready will have another bore batch, but it may be six months to a year away.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can take a phot later this afternoon.

I'm not sure when Oveready will have another bore batch, but it may be six months to a year away.

Thanks Grizzman:thumbsup:.

That's unfortunate. I wonder why OR doesn't hire some more operators, get some more machinery, or contract out some machine work to another high quality shop? Between the demand for their lights and mods it seems like it would make sense. They always seem to be far behind and can't come close to keeping up with demand. I bet they are loosing a lot of sales due to this and could be making a lot more money:thinking:.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Grizzman:thumbsup:.

That's unfortunate. I wonder why OR doesn't hire some more operators, get some more machinery, or contract out some machine work to another high quality shop? Between the demand for their lights and mods it seems like it would make sense. They always seem to be far behind and can't come close to keeping up with demand. I bet they are loosing a lot of sales due to this and could be making a lot more money:thinking:.

Theirs is a small operation. They've been in BOSS mode for roughly a year. I expect 2017 will have been quite lucrative for them. As far as Elzetta parts, they had a very small number of bored out hosts on their website for quite long time. It's a niche market and I wonder if it has not been saturated?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not an ideal solution, but right now, they have two bored complete Bravos with AVS heads. One could be purchased, and the head and tail cap could be sold here pretty easily.

It's time to go test out the M4's light mount.....ya, it's got a Bravo in it.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you might find what you're looking on this review.

http://flashlightguide.com/2014/09/oveready-custom-bored-elzetta-bodies/

Edit: I think you might find the run time graphs to your liking, as well.

Cheers.

Thanks MF:thumbsup:.

I have considered getting a Bravo AVS for years. The only thing that has stopped me is the lack of 18650 support. I just can't stomach the costs and environmental impact of primaries these days. I always knew about the OR boring service but, the wall thickness(or lack there of) after boring has always worried me. That and OR rarely seems to have them in stock. It's a bit hard to tell how thick the wall is in that pic. Maybe Grizzman's pic will show it better from the top down. The runtime graphs do look pretty good by the way lol.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere, buried in thread are photos of a bored vs, regular Elzetta host. I have 2 bored hosts. They work fine. Only issue with tailcaps are the twisty caps. If you use a Hi/Low or Hi/Strobe it will work fine.
I use unprotected 18650 cells with my Elzettas.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Theirs is a small operation. They've been in BOSS mode for roughly a year. I expect 2017 will have been quite lucrative for them. As far as Elzetta parts, they had a very small number of bored out hosts on their website for quite long time. It's a niche market and I wonder if it has not been saturated?

Yeah, I know. It just seems like they can never keep up and its always been that way. People still want Modoolars but OR can't even keep up with the BOSS. I guess I just don't understand why they don't expand or subcontract out some work to help keep up. They could be selling a whole lot more as many guys like myself aren't big on fighting to get a light or part and just want to go order one.