Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks MF:thumbsup:.

I have considered getting a Bravo AVS for years. The only thing that has stopped me is the lack of 18650 support. I just can't stomach the costs and environmental impact of primaries these days. I always knew about the OR boring service but, the wall thickness(or lack there of) after boring has always worried me. That and OR rarely seems to have them in stock. It's a bit hard to tell how thick the wall is in that pic. Maybe Grizzman's pic will show it better from the top down. The runtime graphs do look pretty good by the way lol.

I recently sold a bored out Charlie on this forum. I just looked at that WTS thread, but my photos won't help you gauge the thickness of the tube. FWIW, I never had the sense that the strength of the tube had been compromised, if that's your concern. There were no issues with the high/low tail caip.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere, buried in thread are photos of a bored vs, regular Elzetta host. I have 2 bored hosts. They work fine. Only issue with tailcaps are the twisty caps. If you use a Hi/Low or Hi/Strobe it will work fine.
I use unprotected 18650 cells with my Elzettas.

Good to know, thanks:thumbsup:. If I ever get one it will be a Bravo with high/low tailcap and I will also run unprotected cells.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently sold a bored out Charlie on this forum. I just looked at that WTS thread, but my photos won't help you gauge the thickness of the tube. FWIW, I never had the sense that the strength of the tube had been compromised, if that's your concern. There were no issues with the high/low tail caip.

Thanks. Yeah, that was my concern(particularly the threaded area being too weak like on a bored 6P). Does the threaded area remain a bit beefier then on a 6P?

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
If only they would have given the Bones a high/low tailcap and left out the kindergarten graphics and fonts:ohgeez::fail:. All they had to do was make a Bravo that ran on 18650's and everyone would have been happy:banghead:.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a couple of 16650's for my Bravo. They work just fine without having to bore the body.

I also got a dummy 123 to use a singe 16340.

https://www.orbtronic.com/16650-li-ion-battery-rechargeable-protected

If I were in a life critical situation, I would use standard 123's.

Options are are nice to have.

Yeah, the 16650`s seem to get pretty meager regulated runtimes though(about 15 minutes). A modern high discharge unprotected 18650 should get closer to 45 minutes of regulated output by the looks of it. Two LifePO4`s looks like a descent option though for the stock body.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, the 16650`s seem to get pretty meager regulated runtimes though(about 15 minutes). A modern high discharge unprotected 18650 should get closer to 45 minutes of regulated output by the looks of it. Two LifePO4`s looks like a descent option though for the stock body.

I've walked this same path. I also share your financial and environmental concerns regarding primaries. For me, I find that the stock Bravo on 2 x CR123 is a perfect night stand light. It sees little use, if any, but if I need to reach for it then it must work.

Having experimented with multiple AVS lights with different batteries, bored out tubes, etc., I find that I've settled on this.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when I got my Elzettas bored, 16650s weren't out. Lol
Only 18650s were available.

I also have a couple bored 9Ps. I run 2x18500 cells. [emoji106]

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back when I got my Elzettas bored, 16650s weren't out. Lol
Only 18650s were available.

I also have a couple bored 9Ps. I run 2x18500 cells. [emoji106]

Nice. What drop ins are you running in your 9P's? I got rid of my 9P's many years ago, before I knew how cool they would be.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I run M61 N's, NLLs, and an M91W. Run them all with 2x18500 setups.
I also run a 9P with 2xAA M31 219B. I have many many options.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can measure the thread thickness of Elzetta and 6P, both bored through Oveready.

Here is a bored Charlie next to a stock Charlie.

Elzettas_zpsnattuicx.jpg

I'm not able to measure wall thickness between threads, but the wall thickness including threads are .0635" for Elzetta and .0685 for Surefire.

Inner diameters are:
Surefire - .736" and Elzetta - .740"

Outside diameter at o-ring groove:
Surefire - .771 and Elzetta - .7685".

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can measure the thread thickness of Elzetta and 6P, both bored through Oveready.

I'm not able to measure wall thickness between threads, but the wall thickness including threads are .0635" for Elzetta and .0685 for Surefire.

Inner diameters are:

Thanks for taking the time, Grizz.

@RI Chevy. Good eye. These measurements bear out the small differences you spotted with the unaided eye.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Elzettas_zpsnattuicx.jpg

Inner diameters are:

Thanks Grizz, I really appreciate it👍

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
After boring an Elzetta body are there any issues with different tailcaps not working? It seems like the hi/low and the strobe tails wouldn't have much for the little pin to contact.

Not with pin caps, but their twisty has a tiny disc that then goes inside without making contact.

Thanks, I'll have Oveready bore mine.

Batch services used to be frequent and vigorous. But as the supply of unbored bodies dwindled, so did interest in modifying them. The current batch has been open for something like two years and still isn't half full. It may never fill enough to run.

Meanwhile, interest in Elzetta is also down. The few remaining AVS will be our last.