Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

vento611

Newly Enlightened
Thanks!, if you measured the original LED at 4200k than most likely it's a T6 or U2 bin, removing the MCPCB and reflowing another emmiter is easy, just be carful with the wires... you don't have any slack to work with, for a 5700K XM-L2 I think the highest bin is U3 but I'm not sure look in the E2 kit on the data sheet... these emmiters aren't that easy to buy. The readily available ones are U4-1A, U3-3D, and few more tint but in lower bins.

Last edited:

BugoutBoys

Enlightened
Thanks!, if you measured the original LED at 4200k than most likely it's a T6 or U2 bin, removing the MCPCB and reflowing another emmiter is easy, just be carful with the wires... you don't have any slack to work with, for a 5700K XM-L2 I think the highest bin is U3 but I'm not sure look in the E2 kit on the data sheet... these emmiters aren't that easy to buy. The readily available ones are U4-1A, U3-3D, and few more tint but in lower bins.
So it looks like the ElZetta MCPCB is held in by just two screws which is convenient. I just don't know what's on the other side of it. If it's just held by two screws, then ideally it would be very easy to remove. If there's thermal paste as well, that gets me a little nervous. I think the only issue for me would be removing the old MCPCB without damaging the wires.

vento611

Newly Enlightened
Ya, just the 2 screws, de-solder the 2 wires and when installing apply some thermal paste like arctic silver.

choombak

Enlightened
New to Elzetta - the direct-access-strobe tailcap caught my attention. I have been looking for a light with direct-access-strobe functionality, and needs to be ultra reliable - it will be used by a Elephant conservationist friend in/around Kaziranga sanctuary in Assam, India. Apparently, elephants respond well to strobe and its typically a high stress situation.

Anyone has one who can attest to the usability? I am specifically trying to understand how difficult/easy it is for the tailcap to screw/unscrew on its own (in a bag for example), or does it present good enough resistance? Its the B134 model that I'm considering.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
The tail cap will not tighten or loosen by itself during transport or storage. It's easy to loosen the tail cap intentionally, but virtually impossible to do accidentally. Your friend will not be able to break the flashlight. I'd wager it would hold up, even if trampled underfoot by elephants.

On a side note, I'm taken aback by the concept of elephants and strobe. Have they been concealing a tendency toward disco?

XR6Toggie

Newly Enlightened
New to Elzetta - the direct-access-strobe tailcap caught my attention. I have been looking for a light with direct-access-strobe functionality, and needs to be ultra reliable - it will be used by a Elephant conservationist friend in/around Kaziranga sanctuary in Assam, India. Apparently, elephants respond well to strobe and its typically a high stress situation.

Anyone has one who can attest to the usability? I am specifically trying to understand how difficult/easy it is for the tailcap to screw/unscrew on its own (in a bag for example), or does it present good enough resistance? Its the B134 model that I'm considering.

I carry a Charlie in a belt pouch for 10hrs a day. The tail cap will not unscrew unless you want it to unscrew. It's an exceptionally well made product. I double checked with the Elzetta YouTube video about tail caps. For the high/strobe tail cap high mode is engaged by fully tightening the tail cap and strobe is engaged by slightly loosening the tail cap. You only need a slight turn to switch from high to strobe so the tail cap is still going to be well and truly screwed on.

choombak

Enlightened
The tail cap will not tighten or loosen by itself during transport or storage. It's easy to loosen the tail cap intentionally, but virtually impossible to do accidentally. Your friend will not be able to break the flashlight. I'd wager it would hold up, even if trampled underfoot by elephants.

On a side note, I'm taken aback by the concept of elephants and strobe. Have they been concealing a tendency toward disco?
At least when agitated they certainly do calm down with strobe, per my friend. Given the situation, he doesn't have time to fool around with disco flashlight modes for sure! ;-)

Thanks for feedback, I'll grab one for him.

choombak

Enlightened
Bravo to your friend Choomback. And to you as well... good lookin' out bro.

Bravo!!!!

Thanks for your kind words, though they apply to my friend than me -- my satisfaction comes from the fact being able to provide him a uber-reliable light. Honestly, I have been looking around for a direct-access-strobe light, but nothing available satisfied the reliability requirement. Until I found this. :)

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Where did you get your ZFL-M60? I didn't think Elzetta was selling them anymore.

Sometimes on the river the prices for a bravo/charlie complete lights dip really low and they of course have the old m60. I know it sounds crazy to buy a whole light for just the module but i basically paid an extra 20 bucks for a head, body and tail cap for mine.

Edit, there's a bravo on there right now actually for 89. Module new use to be 69 so not that bad of a deal

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes on the river the prices for a bravo/charlie complete lights dip really low and they of course have the old m60. I know it sounds crazy to buy a whole light for just the module but i basically paid an extra 20 bucks for a head, body and tail cap for mine.

Edit, there's a bravo on there right now actually for 89. Module new use to be 69 so not that bad of a deal

On the river? Sorry, I don't follow. What's that?

mamelo

Newly Enlightened
Does the Bravo/Charlie high-low tailcap fit and will reliably engage with a stock or bored Surefire 6P (with a Malkoff dropin)? And how does it look like...:grin2: