Elzetta- The industry's best kept secret.

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I read all 200+ pages about a year-and-a-half ago, when I was contemplating buying my first of two Elzettas, a Bravo with a ZFL-M60 head, and I needed to become an informed consumer, so thank you for starting this thread!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
After a few weeks of regular carry and use, all of those little spots on my Alpha have settled down a bit. Not quite "softened," not really "worn," but in that same space? It's still grippier than, say, my Malkoff MD2, but not as aggressive as it was at first.
When PK first came out with his FL2, a sorta 6P2.0 he was really proud of the extremely accurate machine work and noted it had a "firm grip, even with bloody hands"……so when it was brand new if you carried it in your hand for a while your palm felt like it had been sanded. Yet after a few days the mega grip was still there but the sharp edges had become a lot smoother.

How? Got me. But it sounds like the newer Elzetta products have a similar situation. Often the true tactical light is carried by people wearing tactical gloves so the mega-grip aspect is not bothersome simply because they don't use the light for duty bare handed.

E4C8B9D9-91A9-4901-9164-5421C878C89D.jpeg

The top one has perhaps an hour of use. The bottom one has dozens of hours of use.
If you look at the top one you can see peaks that are rounded on the bottom one, yet the coating is still intact.
My thinking is that is the case with the Elzetta lights too.

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Night and day. The alpha gen 3 is very neutral I’d say 4000-4500. The bones is white. Very very white. Works great to get the light out there.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elzetta is selling out their second gen alpha to make way for the 3rd gen. Only $105. Should I get it? What’s in the 3rd gen that would make me pass up this deal?

3oni

Newly Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Elzetta is selling out their second gen alpha to make way for the 3rd gen. Only $105. Should I get it? What’s in the 3rd gen that would make me pass up this deal?
About 100 more lumens as a short initial burst, a strobe option, and I think perhaps a slightly different tint.

Strobe and burst with quick falloff are minuses for me, so I went with the gen.2. It's darned near my ideal smaller EDC light.

aznsx

Enlightened
CPF Supporter

Gen3 is listed as having a CCT of 4500K, which I believe differs from Gen2. I like the output, so I might (probably) like the Gen2 less if it's much different.

There's a strobe feature, but I don't want to use it and am not even aware it exists in practice. I tried it once just to find out how to avoid it, and found I was barely able to activate it when trying to, which is fine for me. It would be highly unlikely for me to ever activate it accidentally.

My biggest reason: 16340 lithium ion (3.6/3/7V) support / compatibility. The ability to use those secondary cells is a big deal for me, as is the considerably higher INITIAL output period it affords (which I consider a big plus in my use). The curves look like this (check both graphs).

Last edited:

fulee9999

Newly Enlightened
Did Elzetta close shops? I went through my flashlight "bucket list" - that I want to eventually get -, and I noticed that all the ZFL-M60s were gone from amazon, and I checked the official site and there are no flashlights available.
Did they just go out of business...?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Elzetta changed their design So they are long gone. They pop up for sale now and then. They are probably the toughest light you can get when they have the old style head.

fulee9999

Newly Enlightened
Yep, I was trying to get a hold of the Malkoff variants initially, but also if you check elzetta.com every alpha, bravo and charlie are out of stock.
( except of course the gen2 alpha )

Other than the new G-line and the gen2 alpha currently I think everything else is out of stock.

Repsol600rr

Enlightened
Time to see what all the fuss is about I suppose. Gen2 alpha 113 sale model and speedclip on the way. Seems like the output options are gonna be really useful.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I’ll tell you I have been carrying my gen3 for well over a month now every day and it really is a great edc.

nmiller

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
I want to echo what Thermal said. The gen3 Alpha is an excellent EDC. I’ve been carrying mine since I got it. I’d call it Just short of perfect.

Quick question for the Charlie owners. Will the AVS or HC head run 2xAA? Can someone check for me? Thanks!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
I want to echo what Thermal said. The gen3 Alpha is an excellent EDC. I’ve been carrying mine since I got it. I’d call it Just short of perfect.

Quick question for the Charlie owners. Will the AVS or HC head run 2xAA? Can someone check for me? Thanks!
The AVS will I did a runtime test with it. Have to see if I can find it but ran for a long time