Emergency Light

Ericz23

Newly Enlightened
I want to get a light that I can keep in my car for roadside emergencys. I think a LED Headlamp would be my best bet. I would also use it in case of power failures. I like the Streamlight Septor because it has multiple levels but have not seen it in person. Is it bright and would you all recomend it? If no please make other suggestions. Thanks:grin2:

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened
1) Welcome to CPF! :wave:
2) Watch your wallet! :broke:
3) Buy them both! (Whoops, that might have been premature) :devil:
4) Check this thread:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=92516

I don't know anything about the Septor, but I'll give you some advice I wish somebody had given me a few years ago, when I started lurking here, looking for the same information:

Find out what you need. Buy it. Delete CPF from your browser history and run far, far, away before you are infected with flashaholism.

Of course, it might be too late already... :naughty:

Last edited:

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try the Eternalight EliteMax or any version is fine but the EliteMax is the brightest stock version. It is durable, uses AA batteries, floats if they're lithium batteries, has a magnet to stick it to your car and point at the tire or set it up in flash mode if your car battery is way dead. It has many levels and mode and has a really really really long runtime.

Welcome to CPF :wave:

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a LED headlamp, I really like the Nuwai headlamp. Review is here. Lithium batteries (long storage time, temperature stable, good for car), long runtime, three brightness levels, good regulation. The only thing I personally don't like is that the center head strap is a little bit too short, but that's probably just my thick head.

joema

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ericz23 said: "...keep in my car for roadside emergencys..."

A few suggestions:

- Whatever flashlight you get, use lithium batteries. They endure cold temps better and don't leak like alkaline somes does. They'd likely be more reliable after a long period of storage.

- In general a broader beam fits typical roadside car emergencies than a narrow throw-oriented beam.

- Headlamp is a practical idea, but I'd suggest the Streamlight Argo HP over the Septor. It's lithium powered plus has much more output. Review:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_argohp.htm

- In addition to a light, consider LED roadside emergency flashers. TurboFlare and FlareAlert are two examples:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/sdg_turboflare360.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/keystone_flarealert.htm

socom45

Newly Enlightened
If I may make a suggestion: Have a look at Streamlight's Survivor model. I don't know about the others mentioned here, but used to have a survivor and it was one of the best light's I've ever had. Really bright, versatile, easy operation, and best of all, it is designed so that it cannot be overcharged. It has a nicad battery, and you keep it in the charger whenever you aren't using it... and it's fine. In most other cases this practice would KILL other batteries way before they would be ready to "go". It was made for firefighters and other emergency personell and is always ready to go. Runtime is about an hour plus, charging on their fast charger takes about an hour...and you canhave a home charger and a 12v charger rigged up in your vehicle. A little pricey, but that doesn't matter when you know you can depend on it when it matters the most. I only sold mine because I was moving over here and wouldn't need it....but if I remember right their home charger can be used from 110v to 240v...but don't quote me on that one...