Emisar D1vn - Smallest 18350/18650 Thrower R

ven

Flashaholic
Unless anything has changed MAD, vinh iirc said the benefits where not enough to justify. Throw maybe a little more, loss in lumens so i believe the dome on is the best option all things considered. Certainly wait for vinh to confirm either way. Dome on, you get a pretty much cool pure white beam, large hotspot and very bright spill. Honestly, i do think this is an awesome LED(sst40) for this light. Really good strong beam with enough throw imho.

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
SST40 HD 6500k 2300 lumen, 48k lux
SST40 SD ????k 1900 lumen, 55k lux

A bit of give & take on lux to lumen, Nad I'm looking for max throw here. But, 6500k is much too cool for me. When dedome got XPL & XPG2, the color gets a bit warmer.

I'm wondering if the warmer shift holds true when shaving an SST40?

ven

Flashaholic
I would hazard a guess at loosing 500k or so. As for 6500k too cool , me too!!! I agree and tend to prefer 4-5000k usually. However it was a very nice surprise, white, colours fine and a great beam.

Capolini

Banned
SST40 HD 6500k 2300 lumen, 48k lux
SST40 SD ????k 1900 lumen, 55k lux

A bit of give & take on lux to lumen, Nad I'm looking for max throw here. But, 6500k is much too cool for me. When dedome got XPL & XPG2, the color gets a bit warmer.

I'm wondering if the warmer shift holds true when shaving an SST40?

Here is V54 answer on MH20vn40 thread regarding SST40 HD/SD Tint:

What is the approximate tint? 6500K. Nice white tint
Do SD and HD have the same tint? YES
SD must have tint shift rather greenish or yellowish ?
No. Both Cool While :) SD seems whiter even LOL

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Wow. You guys (especially scout24) are such enablers. Had to jump in on the SST40 version of this as well as a factory one...oy.

ven

Flashaholic
Well, of it's not too cool for ven, then I should be satisfied!

For close up EDC or work type uses, around the house, morning darkness traversing the stair case! I do prefer warmer, however the D1vn sst40 is not a midnight toilet run light, its a moderate thrower. So cool, pure white is good for me.

ven

Flashaholic
It is a great UI for sure, Tom E has done an amazing job and tweaks by Toykeeper to refine in areas. She also is super talented and a wealth of information. For me, the UI is more suited for the D4 type over throwers. Not that it’s a problem, because it’s not. Usually for me I rarely use lower levels(unless crazy outputs). Where as the D4 I am forever ramping up/down, the D1 sees less ramping and more use in the medium to high output levels. Usually because with my uses I basically want as much light on the distant subject as possible. It’s handy for tweaking to pretty much the exact amount though. 50%, 70% nope ........65% :whistle:

The D1vn really surprises me, still does now when on max.........a lot of light and put out at distance . If a light punches above it’s weight, the D1vn is one of those.

Around house uses MAD I agree 100% with ramping or infinite/control ring type UI’s. The v11r(HDS rotary to) are also favs, dialling up and down brightness levels on the fly is super handy and has never grown old. Good thing with side switch lights, only one hand and is easy to operate or easier to operate than a control ring for me anyway. Although not “tactical”, side switch are super easy and user friendly for me, be it home, work or play.:)

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received D1vn XPG2 PDT "neutral" today,
I gotta say for a first time customer I expected it to throw better than stock but I didn't have any particular expectations about the visible quality of the mod, but if I didn't know that this light had been modded I'd think that the work was done in factory. Very pristine light, great work.
The tint is positively green, most noticeable at lower levels, less so approaching max, I can tell already that this is going to suit my eyes much better than cool white.
With dusk barely beginning here it's already clear that the performance exceeds my predator XB-H warm, with nearly as small of a hot spot, which was the one to beat.
Considering the reflector of the predator compared to the D1 reflector, this is a really impressive result.
I think that within the limits of available leds, this mod could hardly have been better executed.

Thanks Vinhnguyen54, I'll certainly be ordering from you again.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second impressions, after dark.
The fine point of tint has utterly disappeared after a little bit of night adaptation.
This "700 lumen" light blows away the factory neutral -HI emitter version.
We're talking paint brush vs mop here.
It is brighter, tighter, both in the hot spot And the useful spill. The factory version has considerably more back reflecting spill in the extreme edges of the spill, well beyond the useful spill.
This light has superior throw And useful spill, much of the greater lumens expended with the factory HI version is being dumped into the extreme periphery.
This is XPG2 PDT option is a fantastic light, and I hope that it continues to be offered, the anticlimactic "700 lumens" number is mostly irrelevant, the usable lumens are very high, very good.
This is not the best light for short distances, it's ringy with a hot spot that seems like it should be coming from a much larger and deeper reflector, tiny led, very bright, and very impressive.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Got my SST-40 in today's mail. Not whitewalling it- waiting for dark to play. Last night was a full moon, but it's very overcast today... :)

Capolini

Banned
As long as your not expecting more than 60 or 70 seconds of continuous MAX output you will like the light.With that said, once it gets too hot you have to let it cool off on a very minimal level, like 30% at most.

For me, I have learned that these small and Powerful lights are not suited for my trail hikes,not even for a 3 minute max blast!

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
@ ven:
It's more specialized for sure.
Trouble is that now I'm going to have to try the other VN varieties.
I'll put some images up, not sure about image hosting these days, haven't done that in a while.

ven

Flashaholic
Cool, yes vinh is awesome all round, does some great mods, LED and driver swaps for the better. Gives the customer choices, choices that suit their wants and needs. Not only that, he stands by all his lights and is a stand up guy full stop! Welcome to the v54 family:party: I have been using imgur eh4, far from perfect but its not bad so i would try imgur out.

Was out and about a little earlier scout and this D1vn sst40 still is just crazy awesome...............Big lights you expect to be WOWed, when little lights do it, it makes them even more awesome. It lit trees up maybe 150-200ft with a huge hot spot, spill lit up close by for good visibility. Shone it around on some different colours, not washed out to my eyes, just pretty much what you would expect on a sunny day.
VU50lKkl.jpg

Pic above, directly behind start of beam, the D1vn can light that side wall of the house up like day! Good 150ft at a guess............phone could not pick it up so no point in posting pic.
ngpnuksl.jpg

Phone cant pick up the light too well, the beam is around 2 or 3 times longer than shows. Plus air pollution(light/rain etc)does not help.

jfhrtn

Newly Enlightened
Just placed an order a couple days ago for a black D1vn SST40 SD. Really looking forward to getting this light in hand and giving it a spot in the EDC position. Really going to be nice having a light that can throw a good bit of light on down the path a ways. I think this is going to be a solid upgrade from the Fenix PD35 and it will be my first custom light in the collection

Latest posts