Emisar D4

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes eh4, next to the predator
gWYByC2l.jpg

Its still a tiny light, but depending on what your used to EDCing, may be a tad too big..............subjective.

Functionally, my neutral HI D1 throws as well as my v3 XB-H warm Predator, though the predator has a more agreeable, tighter hot spot and smaller spill with fewer lumens.

I'm looking to solve that with a D1vn variant #2 that's hopefully in the mail now... but ultimately I think that a predator host is gonna be sacrificed for a side switch and flush tail cap mods, and with a D4/D1 driver and electrical always on/ momentary side switch.

Last edited:

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect there's a lot less demand for 26650.

Also there aren't any 26650s that use the latest chemistry. Result is a 26650 is something like twice the weight of an 18650, but with only 30% more capacity.

I have a DQG Tiny 26650. It's a great light, but the extra weight is really noticeable. I would never consider it a suitable candidate for pocket EDC. In contrast, the D1 even with its large head is still small and light enough for EDC in loose pants.
These Shockli 26650 look pretty good to me, even when compared to the velnerable Samsung 30Q 18650.
HKJ charts:
43fb0fe2763f20ad1e344bc405f079bb.jpg

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so this is where you need an aftermarket adapter to go from a (hopefully standard enough) threaded 18650 to threaded 26650...

I want several.

ven

Flashaholic
There probably would be less demand, but i will take the extra 30% tank, the extra size(actually prefer 26650 over 18650 for in hand comfort(subjective again). I see the 18500 as a bit pointless myself, even the 18350 for me is not much point, as you only loose a little in length, yet 1100mah V 3000+ mah(around a 1/3 the energy give/take). Plus i am not keen on the form of the 18350 on these lights(certainly the D1) . Even if a limited supply, we could use a sleeve and run 20700 for extra flexibility(and 18650 ,for me, comfier in hand in 26650 form). If i had the option, i would have had a few 26650 bodies, for now just 18650 and dont plan on any of the other offered sizes myself.

Received my green D4 219 yesterday. Now that the weather is turning cold I plan to use it for a hand warmer and also to boil water in an emergency.
This light gets hot faster than my gas grill. It also produces an amazing wow factor when turned on Turbo. The ramping UI always finds the proper output. I'm digging it. Got to get a blue one also, just to use as a spare battery holder has someone else has already mentioned.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
@biker1
I got a D4 specifically for use as a short range, minimal aiming needed blaster, set to momentary high only. D1 is more my idea of a general purpose, practical light, more aiming, less battery drain. I like floody light too, but it seems like when I need it I can usually bounce off a ceiling or object to get it.

Last edited:

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
@eh4
I hear what you're saying regarding flood and throw.
Where I am, there's a lot of darkness with little light at night.
I like a lot of flood so I can have a wide peripheral view of the things that go bump in the night ;) and the D4 has approx. 300m of throw which I won't be using much anyway as I won't be on max much.
Approx. 100m of throw would be fine, along with the lumens she has. Obviously I won't be using the 4300l except for the Holy Crap! factor, but 500l is probably going to be sufficient enough for the majority of my needs. I'll see how it goes once I play around with it.

Last edited:

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the D4 is amazing, somehow pulling a working exterior yard light bulb out of your pocket wouldn't even be that much more impressive.

My choice of cool white for maximum throw and glare is definitely limiting my desire to use the light on its lower levels, blue grey moonlight bleh.
I'll probably end up with another one to in neutral HI before long.
These things do seem like pure utility to me, no value added features, no knurling.
I haven't had any of the trepidations about blowing the $ on them that I've felt with other, more carefully agonized over lights that I've bought in the past.
I know these will be easy enough to mod upgrades when the time comes, and with the UI being so intuitive, if I set the thermal limit conservatively I wouldn't have any trepidations about handing one off to an intelligent non enthusiast for the evening.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
For evening uses around the house or for walks in parks, I can recommend the 4000k xp-g2. Nice touch of warmth to the beam that brings colours out nicely.

DIPSTIX

Enlightened
I have two D4's now. One is a XPL version and the other is a nichia 219. it is my first nichia flashlight and I have to say I am hooked! I never knew 20 CRI could make such a dramatic difference.

JordanK

Newly Enlightened
I just received my green Nichia 219c D4. Took 24 days to arrive from Intl-Outdoors via Hong Kong. What a fun little light. I've been using it with the 18350 tube and it's totally cute. Really tiny and easy to carry in your pocket. Also...I agree with everyone who has said that this is definitely the best UI I've used on a flashlight. Extremely clever. Makes my other lights feel boring.

Jordan

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wait is now over 3 weeks. Meanwhile, you wouldn't believe how many cruel people on the internet are flaunting their D4's as if everybody has one.

Some of the wait is to be expected due to limited stock and/or the big Chinese holiday around the time I ordered it.

I expected if anything, shipping progress through China would be the main hold up, not the US. It landed in LAX 9 days ago and still hasn't left, a mix of US customs and DHL holdups, apparently.

If neither of them can keep up with processing in mid-October, they are going to be buried when the peak shopping season comes around.

P1X4R

Newly Enlightened
Ordered a cyan D4 last Saturday from International Outdoor. Got an email status on Monday that it's shipping. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

Oh, too funny! I was about to comment that I was tired of waiting for the cyan version to be in stock at Mountain Electronics.. Well, I see that they're now in stock! lol

fneuf

Newly Enlightened
I'm searching runtime charts for the D4 but can't find any one "useful to my purpose". I'm seeking to replace my helmet flashlight for mountain/road biking (currently a 6 years old modded Ultrafire C2 that maintains 400+ lumens for ~45min) and I try to see if the D4 could fit the purpose (I already have a floody on the handlebar). Therefore it will be cool down from the activity generated airflow, from 7 to 70km/h depending on the symbol :devil: of the slopes, in a 0°C (winter) to 30°C (summer) atmosphere.

The only runtimes I find for the D4 are on the insanely high Turbo mode. And this would definitely not be wise on an helmet (nor for the helmet flashlight holder). Where can I find runtimes for around 1000lm levels?

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
fneuf - Here's a curve with cooling starting at 1200 lumens. Brightness gradually drops to half around 40 minutes:
http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1164964#comment-1164964

The D4 is not the most efficient single 18650 light, but the more efficient lights wouldn't push that performance much past an hour, I don't think. If you want much more runtime in the 1000 lumen range, you need multiple cells.

ven

Flashaholic
You can defo have 400lm constant fneuf, maybe around 600lm ish constant or until the battery gets low.............If you run around 1000lm, it will step down due to the heat build up, but again it should sustain 400-600lm. I dont know exact lumens=runtime as with optics you get a large hot spot. Its more a case of ramping to an output you need and finding one that is enough and can be sustained if makes sense. 600lm, 1000lm, 1500lm are just figures. You may find 350lm enough..................you may need 1300lm for your application. Either way, it will out perform the ultafire light in runtime/output. However, depending on the beam type you require, it may not be the most suitable light. The c2 is more like the D1 than D4 , relfector base and if you need a more traditional type beam, focused hot spot and spill...............check the D1/D1vn out.

D1 on the left
lpeKUmZl.jpg

Still a compact light(smaller than your C2 ) with around 1500-1600lm , ramping UI the same as the D4.
AjR8FNkl.jpg

The 5000k xpl HI is nice!
IyMs2EAl.jpg

D1 is better suited for moderate and further distances, D4 is more suited for closer applications.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
D4 would be a great light for a body mod, the hard part is already done with the compact head, just give it a helmet mount with a corona of cooling fins and a good flush contact for heat and neg contact, glans and cable to battery pack on back of helmet, or affix the whole thing to the bike.
With that beam spread, the light head and cooling fins could be off center, orient the switch right next to a gear shifter.

Also, since 18350 battery tubes are inexpensive and available, there's the rest of the hard part already done. Butcher a few of them till you've got a working finned helmet or bike adapter...

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
It won't actually maintain 400 lumens constantly, but rather the output will gradually decline with battery voltage because of PWM-modulated FET controlling it. The link I posted a couple lines up shows what should be a fairly typical curve. However, you can just ramp up the brightness a bit more if it's getting dim towards the end of your ride.