EMS Instructor Belt Knock-off

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Went to Eastern Mountain Sports last night to pick up some trail shoes. They didn't have what I wanted, but I noticed some neat belts on the rack. They have the Instructor/LastResort style triangular buckle, but are thinner nylon webbing. No, they're not the "hang from the helicoptor" "fold it in half and smash a cinderblock" Official 5-stitch Wilderness Instructor Belt, but they're on sale for $12 (regular $15) and look like a good compromise if wearing pants with smaller belt loops, or just to wear casually. They're 1 1/2" wide with an aluminum buckle (they do not provide any climbing/fall protection). Kinda neat if you want a lighter belt or want an extra to throw in your gear bag for a spare (Surprising how many students at a handgun/FonF class wear pants with no belt). It holds an IWB holster fairly well, though I haven't wrung it out for an extended period of time yet.

Once I put some wear on this, I'll report back. I'm wearing it today on casual Friday with some tan 5.11's and it's pretty comfortable. Brushed aluminum and black nylon are pretty sharp. Could get away with this in a polo and khakis. I like the infinitely adjustable buckle too. There's no velcro on it like the original, but I doubled the end back through the belt loop and it's out of the way.

210204083_black_200.jpg

TOB9595

Enlightened
Looks good and priced right.

I do love my Wilderness 5 stitches tho. My edwear for edc...
Let us know how the IWB works out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not too bad. I have a Wilson Featherweight IWB holster that came with a simple J-clip, but I make clips out of Kydex that wrap the whole belt. I tried it out yesterday, just running some errands and it was great. 5" steel 1911 and it was secure. I love the infinitely adjustable buckle. Just keep pulling on the end until it stops moving around.

I still might get the real deal Wilderness 5-stitch anyway just to have, but this is working pretty well.

No velcro on this thing. I've been tucking the end back into the right front belt loop and it's holding fine. Still considering having a tailor sew some velcro on it.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JohnJ80

Enlightened
I have the Wilderness belt too but it is the one that can be a safety harness too. Love em, but they are a huge pain going through airports. Will this one with the Aluminum buckle be better?

J

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they would be the same hassle. I think the Original Wilderness belt has a "Frequent Flyer" model with some sort of polymer/resin buckle, but I haven't played with one so I don't know what it's like.

rifle59

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sween1911 said:
I think they would be the same hassle. I think the Original Wilderness belt has a "Frequent Flyer" model with some sort of polymer/resin buckle, but I haven't played with one so I don't know what it's like.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the 5 stich model too. I bought a "FF" model and like it alot. It's not bad for concealed carry but the 1.25 inch doesn't fit some of my holsters. It is great for airports.

rifle59

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sween1911 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the 5 stich model too. I bought a "FF" model and like it alot. It's not bad for concealed carry but the 1.25 inch doesn't fit some of my holsters. It is great for airports.