End-user opinion on DB-3W Mag replacement

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for overall satisfaction opinions/observations from consumers who have purchased and installed the Diamond DB-3W Lux replacement for 3 Cell Mags.

randyo

Enlightened
Bright! Impressive throw when focused tight. I like mine. I took it out to the backyard last night to go head-to-head against my Peak CPF Special and both were impressive. The DB-3W naturally has more throw given the tight focus and size of the reflector, but the CPF was no slouch. What it lacked in overall throw it more than made up for in spread and usable light. Apples and oranges. Anyway, if you already have a 3D Mag collecting dust, it's a great drop-in to bring your head-knocker into the 21st century.

LED BriCK

Enlightened
I think you'd have a hard time beating it for about $30, assuming you already have a 3D Mag. Even if you don't already have a Mag, it's just a fun light to hold in your hand. The DB-3W has a brighter hot spot and better throw than my Dorcy 3D (no surprise there), but it's also a bigger hot spot, and even focused down tight, the sidespill lights up my whole backyard, so there's really no reason I can see to ever open out the focus. And did you see that run time graph?!
wow.gif

IMHO, if you already have a 3D Mag, get the DB-3W. If you don't have a 3D Mag, consider getting one to put a DB-3W in.

AshA4

Banned
I received the three I ordered about 2 weeks ago today. (yeah):mad:

While all three are pretty darn equal in color (white) one of them doesn't seem to focus as well as the other two. (all tested in the same m*g) They do have a bigger hotspot than the Dorcy 3D but I haven't tested throw yet. The spill is more than enough to never have to take it out of its tightest focus.

I purchased this based soley based on Doug's review over @ FR and am happy with the end result. IMHO it is a nice upgrade to a 3D/C m*g and of course a much nicer and reliable beam than the stock lamp.

sb0007

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering btn putting the DB-3W in the mag 3D and 3C what is the differences?

Brightness?
Throw?
Runtime?

I was in another post enquiring about this upgrade and it seems appropriate for me to post here. Cheers.

AshA4

Banned
Other than the difference in form factor between the 3D and 3C I would think they only difference would be runtime. Brightness shouldn't be affected since the voltage is the same.

One thing I have noticed about my three units while playing with them in the backyard. The one that doesn't seem to want to focus tight has some slight green tint to it. It really isn't bad but it is there. Also, being able to focus these does nothing useful but put a big ol' donut hole in your pretty white hotspot. The spill is more than enough to light up a room without the "focus" option.

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Very good I must say! I really like the Bright White light it puts out and the runtime. . .I did "sputter" the reflector to make a smoother beam which I did get after experimenting some.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
The heads on the D and C barrels would be different, it's possible that the reflectors are also shaped differently to accommodate the difference in barrel diameter. But I did notice that using the exact same bulb (Krypton or Xenon), the CP rating on the D sized lights was always higher than that from the similarly sized C version.

sb0007 said:
Just wondering btn putting the DB-3W in the mag 3D and 3C what is the differences?

Brightness?
Throw?
Runtime?

I was in another post enquiring about this upgrade and it seems appropriate for me to post here. Cheers.

sniper

Enlightened
The DB3W and me.

I got mine today, and right away replaced the Xenon bulb in my "spare" black Maglight.

At first, it seemed to be an idea that worked like it should--sometimes.
The reflector caught on the DB3W, and it unscrewed when I took off the head. Not the DB3's fault. There was also a problem with the silver coating on the reflector shorting the LED to black.

A little work on the reflector with a needle file, sandpaper and an Xacto knife solved that, and I left it running on my bench for about 10 minutes or so, to find there was a filmy deposit on the reflector and lens. Can anyone tell me what that is all about?

What I think happened: When I took the DB3 out of the flashlight, I found the heatsink was HOT! DUH! Soooo, I figured that the heat was causing the silicon "millimeter grease" on the o rings and threads to outgas. Some denatured alcohol cleaned it right up.

Once all that was done, and it was running right, I took it into the back yard with my TVIL DD mod.

This thing is a THROWBEAST! Brightness and color are almost identical, with the Diamond being a smidge whiter that the TVIL, Not noticeable, unless you are hunting white walls, and the throw looks identical. Runtime? If it is anywhere close to the 3D magmod, It will be a good while before I change batteries.

Woops: Further operation shows a slight flicker when the light is turned on cold, and sometimes it will blink really rapidly once or twice at first. This usually disappears after a few seconds, and subsequent turn ons don't do it. Does it take time to warm the led up? Minor, but bothersome, if you don't know if it means something ominous. Does anyone know if this is normal for the unit? I have an email to Terralux to see what's what.

I LIKE it! It is a great unit, depending upon the answer to the above. I don't need two identical throwbeasts, so I replaced the UCL with the stock plastic Mag lens, and added a layer of Palm Pilot fillm, which reduced the brightness and throw maybe 25% and gave a more "floody" beam. This is still not a wimpy light at all, at all. Just right for the confines of my back yard and my neighbor's, which is as wide as mine.

Last edited:

sniper

Enlightened
sb0007 said:
Just wondering btn putting the DB-3W in the mag 3D and 3C .

What Randyo said!

Unless I misunderstand, the heads for the 3C and D Maglites are identical. The only difference should be runtime, with the lesser capacity C cells giving less.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, I've got Mags coming out the proverbial Ying-yang :)

There are some attractive prices out there, with one site listing them for $25 ( http://www.diamond-flashlight.com ), but I balked at a $11.43 UPS ground shipping charge for a bulb that weighs less than an ounce. Granted, there is a minimum shipping weight; I expect to pay at least that much (not 2x as much though), and when I tried adding in a couple more bulbs, and the site started adding 3/4 LB for each bulb! Other than that, this bulb (or it's new replacement) looks like a winner and you keep all the functionality of the Mag while getting rid of the sickly bulb.

LED BriCK said:
I think you'd have a hard time beating it for about $30, assuming you already have a 3D Mag.

sniper

Enlightened
Brighteyez said:
Heh, I've got Mags coming out the proverbial Ying-yang :)

There are some attractive prices out there, but I balked at a $11.43 UPS ground shipping charge for a bulb that weighs less than an ounce.

Yeah, Me, too. :)

Try Flashlightking.com. They are fast, and only charge the "basic shipping" charge, which is indexed to the $ amount of the purchase. The BA-1 I got would ship for $3.95, alone, but the DB3W + BA-1 was $6.95.

FWIW the actual postage on the package was $.63. IMO, reasonable, for the good service. :twothumbs

Last edited:

mrdctaylor

Newly Enlightened
I got mine fropm www.led-replacement.com and was very impressed with the service and quick turnaround. The website says it is $32.95 with free shipping. Unfortunately, according to his website this is "Currently Unavailable
from TerraLUX". You might email the guy to verify that this is still the case. I believe he is a CPF member.

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
There was another site (sorry, can't remember which) that also listed that they were waiting on a new version from Terralux that is supposed to be in the 100 lumen neighborhood (!). They also had a listing for the new one that would be priced around $45.

mrdctaylor said:
I got mine fropm www.led-replacement.com and was very impressed with the service and quick turnaround. The website says it is $32.95 with free shipping. Unfortunately, according to his website this is "Currently Unavailable
from TerraLUX". You might email the guy to verify that this is still the case. I believe he is a CPF member.

3DMagMod

Newly Enlightened
randyo said:
Bright! Impressive throw when focused tight. I like mine. I took it out to the backyard last night to go head-to-head against my Peak CPF Special and both were impressive. The DB-3W naturally has more throw given the tight focus and size of the reflector, but the CPF was no slouch. What it lacked in overall throw it more than made up for in spread and usable light. Apples and oranges.

How much brighter than the 1W LEDs, like the Craftsman? How much less runtime? :help:

Brighteyez

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be curious to hear as well. I've tried the Sears conversion and this sounds like much more bang for the buck if the figures are correct.

3DMagMod said:
How much brighter than the 1W LEDs, like the Craftsman? How much less runtime? :help:

sniper

Enlightened
Re: The DB3W and me.

sniper said:
I got mine today, and right away replaced the Xenon bulb in my "spare" black Maglight.

Woops: Further operation shows a slight flicker when the light is turned on cold, and sometimes it will blink really rapidly once or twice at first. This usually disappears after a few seconds, and subsequent turn ons don't do it. Does it take time to warm the led up? Minor, but bothersome, if you don't know whether it means something ominous. Does anyone know if this is normal for the unit? I have an email to Terralux to see what's what.

I LIKE it!

Update:
I just received a nice email from Terralux, saying the flickering/blink thing is the result of "manufacturing problems", and offering to replace my DB3W as soon as they get their new shipment, which should take care of the problem. They are due in about 4 weeks. Thank you, Terralux! :)