Eneloop / La Crosse BC-900 'Meltdown' Failure

kramer5150

Flashaholic
My cousin is visiting for the holiday and was charging his eneloops in his lacrosse charger.. when this happened.

The charger + cells were SCORCHING hot, nearly burned my hand when I touched the cells. The LCD screen turned black, and stank to all he11 and back.
dscn5995.jpg

dscn5998t.jpg

dscn5997.jpg

dscn5995p.jpg

dscn6000.jpg

dscn5999.jpg

What could have caused this? He uses this charger all the time for nearly 6-7 years. I always use it to charge my energizer 2450 cells when I visit his place.

:thinking:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Eneloop / LaCross failure

It sort of looks like the meltdown problem without the oozing pile of plastic.

Do you know what charge rate he was using? What version is the charger?

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast

It sort of looks like the meltdown problem without the oozing pile of plastic.

Do you know what charge rate he was using? What version is the charger?

If it's 6 - 7 years old, it's gotta be the version 32 with the bonus-added "meltdown" feature! :(

Light Sabre

Enlightened

I have 2 of the version 3.2 BC-900's that are 3 1/2 years old. Only problem I have had with either was 2 or 3 weeks ago I was charging 4 AAA's at 200ma and channel one voltage was acting kinda weird so I pulled the batteries. The other 3 had already finished charging, but channel 1 was taking forever. Now I use 500 ma for AAA's. Will keep a closer eye on the chargers. They're well ventilated and sit on a flat surface that's probably fire resistent. Smoke alarm is 9 ft away and would go off if anything happened. Have considered making or buying a temperature senser to go underneath the units or a remote sensor that would go under the batteries to remove AC power or the DC adapter if things get too hot. I could just buy a couple of new ones with the better firmware. I'm an electronic tech, so making my own sensor sounds more fun.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

ok thanks!! I'll tell my cousin the bad news:sigh:

FWIW he was quick charging the cells at 500mah.

more like slow charging for AAs IMO I charge AAs at 700 or 1000ma myself because the charger picks up the termination of the charge better

MarioJP

Enlightened

wow what happened? How did it get that hot in the first place?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast

more like slow charging for AAs IMO I charge AAs at 700 or 1000ma myself because the charger picks up the termination of the charge better
Is true, 500 mA is slow charging, borderline too slow. OTOH, it would take a long time after missed termination at 500 mA before the batteries got that hot. So I still think it was a charger malfunction. Why didn't the temperature sensor cut in?

IMHO that charger is badly designed. On failure it apparently puts the maximum current through the cells, whereas a fail safe design would cut the current to zero on failure.

Bones

Enlightened

this is the firmware bug in older version, newer firmware update is purposely to address this problem. google for "bc-900 melting"

Although LaCrosse may have introduced updates that vastly reduced the frequency, please note the meltdowns do continue, even with their newest offering, the BC-9009:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com ... post3165721

http://www.candlepowerforums.com ... post3168416

Unfortunate reminders that, as with all chargers, precautions should be taken when choosing a charging location and/or preparing a charging station.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe LaCrosse should stick to weather stations and clocks and sell the battery charger business to someone that will step up to the plate and resolve this issue once and for all.

MarioJP

Enlightened

is this still a problem with version 35??. mines does not overheat unless you are charging really crappy cells. The thermal sensor should of trip and display 000.

Not sure about the earlier version though

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast

is this still a problem with version 35??. mines does not overheat unless you are charging really crappy cells. The thermal sensor should of trip and display 000.

Not sure about the earlier version though
There appears to be a design weakness in this charger. It can fail in such a way that it feeds the maximum current from the power supply through the batteries with no limit on time or temperature. This is a fault condition, not a normal circumstance. Not every sample will fail in this way, in fact most won't, but any charger could (if you are unlucky).

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast

I guess its time for your cousin to get a new one......at least the charger gave him all these years of charging. And im also glad no one got hurt.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I would contact Lacrosse about it, they could give you another one to replace it as it is defective, not broken.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would contact Lacrosse about it, they could give you another one to replace it as it is defective, not broken.
Apparently LaCrosse is a PITA to deal with when the chargers are within the 1 year warranty period....I doubt they'd do anything about a 6+ year old charger.

N162E

Enlightened

Maybe LaCrosse should stick to weather stations and clocks and sell the battery charger business to someone that will step up to the plate and resolve this issue once and for all.
LaCrosse doesn't back up or support anything they sell. That being said, I still think their BC chargers are the best on the market.