Eneloop production facility

AlexLED

Enlightened
How much more expensive are the XX versions in the EU? Given the population size and hence market potential is about the same in the US as the whole EU block, it's gotta be worth something. Heck, they sell them now in Canada. Your arguments would apply to regular eneloops too, however you can find them at costco. I think the issue is more of supply. The fact Sanyo came out with not just XX but "lites" just means they know the market and are just trying to maximize revenue with higher and lower cost products.

One of the major german seller sells them for:

4x AA lite 6 Euro -> 8.50 USD
4x AA 9 Euro -> 12.60 USD
4x AA XX 13 Euro -> 18.20 USD

(They are a lot cheaper if you buy larger quantities.)

-> http://www.akkudo.de/eneloop-c-186.html

Techjunkie

Enlightened
in the brightly lit suburbs of NYC (Long Island)
One of the major german seller sells them for:

4x AA lite 6 Euro -> 8.50 USD
4x AA 9 Euro -> 12.60 USD
4x AA XX 13 Euro -> 18.20 USD

(They are a lot cheaper if you buy larger quantities.)

-> http://www.akkudo.de/eneloop-c-186.html

OK, sorry, that was lazy of me --> OK, clearly I've been out of the (ene)loop on this subject... What is an Eneloop "lite"?

Now I know:

http://www.eneloop.info/products/batteries/eneloop-lite.html

I wonder how much the lite versions sag under load compared to the original.

Last edited:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
......I wonder how much the lite versions sag under load compared to the original.

As I recall, there was someone who tested a few of the "Lites" recently and found that they held up quite well under higher current loads. Generally, given the same, brand, size, and type of cell, the lower the rated capacity, the better the cell will hold voltage under high current loads.

Dave

fellie

Newly Enlightened
Just ordered another 16 AA eneloops (HR-3UTGA-8TN x 2), in the 'limited edition' solid colour variety from amazon uk £31 delievered :)

So hopefully there will be no mass shortage, and hence ridiculous overpricing of eneloops !

( But maybe stock up now, before the non believers read about them on the news with relation to the Tsunami !! )

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
@VidPro
Nuclear power batteries... very in-ter-esting. :devil:

We may laugh, but the military is working on compact nuclear reactors to place on handheld weapons to power things like hand-held rail-guns (ala James Bond 007 on the N64). Imagine a rail-gun sniper rifle???

Ok, back on topic, I noticed the Duraloops were thinnning out at Target recently...maybe they are starting to catch on? As the shortage was noticed before the Tsunami??? My brother surprised me when I mentioned them to him and he said he already had some and that they were really good, and he's not really even a flashlight guy...

BoarHunter

Newly Enlightened
We may laugh, but the military is working on compact nuclear reactors to place on handheld weapons to power things like hand-held rail-guns (ala James Bond 007 on the N64). Imagine a rail-gun sniper rifle???

Ok, back on topic, I noticed the Duraloops were thinnning out at Target recently...maybe they are starting to catch on? As the shortage was noticed before the Tsunami??? My brother surprised me when I mentioned them to him and he said he already had some and that they were really good, and he's not really even a flashlight guy...

Nuclear batteries have been in use for about 50 years and some still running. Beacons in Russia (some lost ???) and spacecraft like Voyager 1 and 2 that just left the solar system still working after 35 years (400W 24h/24h 7/7).