Energizer 18650 Hybrid Headlamp

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
xFIXO9n.jpg

Just got one of these. First impression is that is a OK light, but nothing to write home about. What made it interesting to me is that it is an Energizer light that runs on either a 18650 or 2X CR123A's (both battery types included). What kind of 18650 comes in this Energizer light? A a blue wrappered protected button top "Great Power" 2600 mAh ICR (sorry no cool Energizer bunny wrapper).

IyrUz6R.jpg

It also came with a couple of Chinese Energizer branded CR123A's

X9ZbQSu.jpg

some more about the light - aluminum construction, but doesn't seem all that heavy duty with a honey comb lens for a floody beam. 400 lumens on high, 1000 on turbo, also has 185 lumen medium, 30 lumen low and strobe modes - comes on in high with the first click, medium on the second and low on the third. You need to click through all 3 main modes to turn it off *, which I find annoying. You can get to turbo by pressing and holding and to strobe with a quick double click. There is a USB charger built into the light and a charging cable is provided. A head strap and a cheap plastic mounting bracket are provided for use as a head lamp as is a metal pocket clip for use as a angle head flashlight when detached from the head strap mount.

* EDIT - The light does turn off with the next click if you wait about 6 seconds, so this is not relly a problem in normal use.

Last edited:

fulee9999

Enlightened
for $25 I'd say it's a perfectly fine little headlamp, considering you get a free 18650 and two CR123s
( the cycle through all modes for off sounds horrid tho )

Reactions: xxo

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
for $25 I'd say it's a perfectly fine little headlamp, considering you get a free 18650 and two CR123s
( the cycle through all modes for off sounds horrid tho )
Not bad for what it is and what you get. I'm sure a lot of people would consider it a good upgrade from a cheap 3 AAA head lamp, particularly considering that you get what should be a half decent 2600 mAh 18650 and a built in charger.

I spoke too soon about having to click through the modes. The light will turn off with the next click if you wait about 6 seconds, which pretty much resolves the issue as far as I'm concerned.

The plastic head strap bracket dosen't seem to be built to last and will probably break, particurarly in cold weather - you may need to get something better if you use it a lot as a headlamp.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Too many instances of great-looking flashlight designs by Energizer just crapping out. I'd just track down the Zebralight model that light is clearly based off of.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer often has good designs that they ruin by cheaping out and/or overlooking details. So far this light seems be a step above typical energizer lights, but time will tell. I thought it looks more like a sofirn than a zebralight.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It's nice to see the Energizer train has arrived at the dual fuel station, albeit a few years late. Now that everything is "going green" I suppose it's a choice the 'board' made to get some carbon credits or lift the ESG score or something.

I have several Energizer lights that are actually pretty decent. They're made to a standard that is ok for the occasional use, like the vast majority of flashlight owners do. Hang it on a nail, stick it in a drawer, a glove box etc and use in the event the need strikes.

This one featured in this thread appears to be aimed at the working person. The plumber, home inspector, ac guy etc. Hopefully it'll be robust enough to not let the person down. Nothing like being in a spider web laiden crawl space and your flashlight craps out.
Yikes!! What was that? 😱

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's nice to see the Energizer train has arrived at the dual fuel station, albeit a few years late. Now that everything is "going green" I suppose it's a choice the 'board' made to get some carbon credits or lift the ESG score or something.
Maybe some day energizer or one of the other big battery companies will standardize a protected 18650 (probably with a built in USB port so regular folks can charge it like they charge their phone), sorta like streamlihght did with their SL-B26 18650. When they show up for sale near the checkouts at walmart in their energizer bunny wraps, maybe even Maglite will get on the dual fuel train?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had a chance to try this light out some more and the electric switch works well, the 18650 battery seems to be good and I couldn't detect any PWM. There does seem to be a substantial step down in high, which I don't much care for in a head lamp, but the run time is very good.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Maybe some day energizer or one of the other big battery companies will standardize a protected 18650 (probably with a built in USB port so regular folks can charge it like they charge their phone), sorta like streamlihght did with their SL-B26 18650. When they show up for sale near the checkouts at walmart in their energizer bunny wraps, maybe even Maglite will get on the dual fuel train?
I remember for years seeing rechargeable Energizer C and D cells. I even tried some back then. If you used the light a lot it was great but the self-discharge was really bad. Now I hardly see them but do see plenty of aa sized ones. Yet a company like Energizer selling rechargeable batteries is like Little Debbie selling appetite supressant pills. It just seems odd. Ha, at the same time it's kinda like a flashlight company selling lights that last 35 years. Maglite and SureFire have managed to do ok, so I suppose Energizer would do ok as well if they sell 18650's.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Until they started rebranding fujitsu cells like eneloop uses, the big battery company's NiMH were pretty bad. The C and D cell NiMH's all seem to use a sub C cell inside:

lkdo9TA.jpg

Monocrom

Flashaholic
You can get C and D Eneloop sleeves. Put in a AA Eneloop into the C or D sized sleeve, and there you go! Except it's a AA inside a sleeve. So you don't get C or D sized capacity. And while the sleeves will fit inside flashlights. They don't work well at all with older incan. lights.

Reactions: xxo

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get C and D Eneloop sleeves. Put in a AA Eneloop into the C or D sized sleeve, and there you go! Except it's a AA inside a sleeve. So you don't get C or D sized capacity. And while the sleeves will fit inside flashlights. They don't work well at all with older incan. lights.

AA eneloop pro's in addapters are a better option than the 2500 mAh C and D cells with the sub C inside.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update - I have been using this a lot and so far, it has worked real well. The run time is very good (efficient driver), the head band is confortable and the switch easy to use. I do wish they had set the switch timer to around 1 second instead of 6 and I'm not sure if I'm sold on the honey comb lens because it doesn't allow muh throw, but it does keep you from blinding other people.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect you are on to the right track here, @bykfixer . There appears to be a new, "Me Too!" movement in corporations, now, as they all suck up to the WTO or whoever it is that is controlling the money.

I have several Energizer lights that are actually pretty decent. They're made to a standard that is ok for the occasional use, like the vast majority of flashlight owners do. Hang it on a nail, stick it in a drawer, a glove box etc and use in the event the need strikes.

This one featured in this thread appears to be aimed at the working person. The plumber, home inspector, ac guy etc. Hopefully it'll be robust enough to not let the person down. Nothing like being in a spider web laiden crawl space and your flashlight craps out.
Yikes!! What was that? 😱
Meh. Professionals use name brand, Professional grade tools, like Snap-On, Klein etc. A real pro is not going to use a consumer grade tool like an Energizer, not a real pro. Heck, my roto-rooter guy that was over here just last month had a SureFire! Looked like a LED G2 of some sort. If they aren't packing a Maglite at minimum, they are bush league, in my opinion. Now, watch me get flamed by all the imported crap fans. :crackup: