Energizer 1AA On 14500?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I tried running mine with a 3V lithium primary and it nearly gagged on it (turned on dim for 2-3 seconds and died). So I would say the additional 1.2V can't possibly be good for it.

*EDIT* There are 2 different versions of this light. My commentary here was directed at the older luxeon-1 version.

Last edited:

robostudent5000

Enlightened
well, if the specs on the site are right, and the light is indeed rated at 45 lumens and has a Luxeon 1, it is likely already being driven as hard as can be. so using a 14500, even if the circuit was made to take up to 4.2 volts, won't make the light any brighter. 45 is as high as the emitter will go without damage. and that's assuming the circuit can take 4.2 v which it probably can't.

*EDIT* similar story for the XR-C version. max drive current for the XR-C is 500mA, so even on a 14500, there's a fairly low cap for how hard you can drive the light.

Last edited:

bob4apple

Enlightened
Theory is just that- theory. In the real world, both of mine- the luxeon and the cree,
run great and are much brighter using a 14500. These lights use a lot of metal for good
heat dissipation, they're built like tanks. Go for it!

robostudent5000

Enlightened
Theory is just that- theory. In the real world, both of mine- the luxeon and the cree,
run great and are much brighter using a 14500. These lights use a lot of metal for good
heat dissipation, they're built like tanks. Go for it!

guess i can't argue with that.

i skimmed through the thread and it seemed like it didn't work for everybody.

have you had problems with losing phosphor or anything like that?

Edit: i have a spare Lux I sitting around and this thread lead me to search the forums for "Luxeon I overdrive". found some old threads, one from 2003, that are very interesting. didn't know the Lux I could be overdriven that hard as long as it's heatsinked sufficiently. that's good stuff!

Last edited:

Latest posts