energizer l91 worth it in flashlight?

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything is relative. They don't leak or explode, and will maintain capacity sitting for years. Putting a flashlight in a drawer or glovebox to be ready at some unknown future emergency? Totally worth it. Gifting an AA flashlight? Yes, do not give away 14500 Li-ion secondaries. Give away primaries... but not alkaline, leaving only L91. Running a light all night every night? Unless you are crazy rich, or have some free or very cheap source, use Eneloops for guilt-free lumens.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Always have some Energizer AA/AAA Lithium Ultimates on hand, always.

They can sit forever, they're light in weight, they have great capacity, current handling and hold their higher voltage for longer than alkalines and they're great at the temperature extremes.

No brainer.

Chris

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything is relative. They don't leak or explode, and will maintain capacity sitting for years. Putting a flashlight in a drawer or glovebox to be ready at some unknown future emergency? Totally worth it. Gifting an AA flashlight? Yes, do not give away 14500 Li-ion secondaries. Give away primaries... but not alkaline, leaving only L91. Running a light all night every night? Unless you are crazy rich, or have some free or very cheap source, use Eneloops for guilt-free lumens.

Yes, when it comes to AA, primaries for gifting, and L91 are a good choice for that. Eneloops for personal use. So, unless the OP is planning on giving away his lights, buying some L91's is a waste of money.

The only exception is if you're needing to use the light in extreme cold (below -20C). In that case, the lithium primaries have better performance, as Eneloops suck below that.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
iirc, unless this is just from a dream or something, a CPF member worked for or had a friend who was an orthodontist that specialized in some procedure that used tools or some kind of thing that required fresh L91. The procedure did not use much of the capacity, but cells were always replaced. So this lucky CPF member had a continuing source of basically free 90% capacity L91.

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are other medical applications that L91's are replaced more frequent than needed.
A good source if You can get them. I use Eneloop's and ReCyko NiMh's in most applications,
but the L91's are in my go bag. They don't need seasonal upkeep and are ideal to have on hand
for emergencies and when there is no access to charging.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I agree with everyone here.... stock up on them when found cheap and use them wisely. Any light/device that eats batteries you almost always should consider rechargeables as your primary power source as the money saved using them after paying for the charger(s) and batteries and over time can be spent on other things. At $1.25-$2+ per battery it doesn't take many batteries to add up to the price of another light using them. I have about a dozen L91s left from when I bought 60 of them about 12 years or so ago they are "expiring in about 3 years but since I bought them Energizer "upgraded" the lifetime of them to about 20 or so years so they should be good another 10-20 years or more. I'm always looking for lithium primaries on clearance but very very rare to find them anywhere and now rare to find them on sale anywhere even though they dropped prices on them about 25-30% or so awhile back a 4 pack of them was $10 now about $7.50 but at about $1.80 a cell vs 50 cents or less for alkaleaks in bulk they aren't a "go to" for heavy constant use you would burn though the bucks pretty easily.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Last month, Costco had these at clearance pricing.

As has been mentioned, it is unusual to see lithium primaries on significant discount. So I bought "some" :devil:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer AA for travel due to available replacements. All my glovebox lights use AA and are stored with L91.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
As long as flashlight takes primary lithium, it's a great choice for emergancy use flashlight.
Keep in mind, higher voltage of these batteries may not be good for some incandescent bulbs.

I can't imagine why anybody would use an incandescent light for emergencies. Way too high a risk the bulb might burn out. A simple, on/off LED light with a clicky switch is probably the best for emergencies. Maybe a low/high mode, as long as it doesn't complicate the electronics much.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
OMG yes L91's are a must. Long running last on the shelf forever and not really affected by heat and cold. I always have 30 or so in stock.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I can't imagine why anybody would use an incandescent light for emergencies. Way too high a risk the bulb might burn out. A simple, on/off LED light with a clicky switch is probably the best for emergencies. Maybe a low/high mode, as long as it doesn't complicate the electronics much.
I have a few larger lights that have room for a spare bulb in them, one even has a place to snap one in and when I put an LED dropin in it I saved the incan bulb for backup. If someone prefers an incan I so no issue with using one as long as you have a backup light that is preferably LED.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i forgot i made this post and was excited to see it till i saw it was my post lol. btw i use l91s still love them just wish they could give as many amps as my duracells the l91s dont do 3 amps to good

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
The op didn't state this was for emergencies. I use l91s in more than emergency flashlights. And incandescent bulbs do not burn out as often as people seem to think.
I have a mag 3C. It is led. I use l91s in adapters because they perform better than C alkalines and are actually cheaper and have higher capacity. This light doesn't get used often so I keep primaries in it but it isn't a "emergency" light.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Energizer Lithiums are where it's at for emergency lights, or for items that may sit for awhile between uses, not necessarily emergency items. I only use Energizer Lithium AAA's in my electronic hearing protection in my range bag. How many times have you opened something electronic and had to pry crusted Alkalines out of it? Anything like that, I try to use Lithiums if I have them on hand and they're not dedicated to something else.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
All of my lights have rechargeables in them, for the most part 18650s or duraloops.
In my car a have a Rayovac indestructible with a traffic diffuser at the ready. It is powered by 2 AA duraloops that I recharge now and then, but I have a 4 pack of energizer lithiums as a backup for it. They are the only L91s that I own.