Energizer Pocket LED & Brinkman

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone seen this before?

Energizer LED at REI
678619.jpg

It's only $7.95! Wonder if that's a misprint. REI also has the Brinkman for $14.95. Now those who can't find it at Walmart have another, more expensive, source.

KenBar

Enlightened
Anyone know if this has any circuit in it or is it led,resistor?,batt.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenBar:
Anyone know if this has any circuit in it or is it led,resistor?,batt.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a reasonably good chance that it is only LED + Battery... no resistor, no IC, no nuthin.
blush.gif

But I shouldn't knock it till I try it.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
It runs off of the usual button batteries, so at this low price I doubt there's any circuitry. No problem, the Photon II doesn't have any either.

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could b a heckova nice little light 4 less than $8.
Maybe things like this will help bring more LED lights into the "brick and mortar" world...?
-Someone here needs 2 buy one and do a little report on it
wink.gif
grin.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, here it is...

This thing is quite large and very thick. Weights in at 0.8 oz (ARC 0.7oz and Infinity 1.9oz)

Uses two CR 2032 button cells; no tools required to replace...very easy to replace if you know which side of battery is (+)

Has no circuitry

"Slide" style switch; on/off no momentary position

Almost as bright as ARC but because of lens, the beam is very scattered

CRAIG... e-mail me your address, this one is on the way for "analysis" BTW the medical examiner has been notified
shocked.gif

l612844.jpg

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good grief that`s a big keychain light! I was tempted to get one myself but they want something like 20 bucks to ship it here according to their site, so I changed my mind!

No big deal, it`s one less review to add to the extensive backlog (sorry I`m so slow guys, excuses excuses....)

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Brock

Flashaholic
Wow, 2 2032's. That should last 4 times longer then the Photon (2 2016's). It also looks much larger then I would have thought, oh well.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
Well, here it is...

This thing is quite large and very thick. Weights in at 0.8 oz (ARC 0.7oz and Infinity 1.9oz)

Uses two CR 2032 button cells; no tools required to replace...very easy to replace if you know which side of battery is (+)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope there's a resistor in there somewere... not sure how long an LED alone would last with this larger cell size at 6V.
The newer Pelican L1's (also 6V but uses button cells) have resistors - they learned their lesson from an earlier run.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr Ted Bear:
CRAIG... e-mail me your address, this one is on the way for "analysis" BTW the medical examiner has been notified
shocked.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My address is plastered all over the web... so putting it here is no biggie.

The LED Museum
1531 1st Ave #305
Seattle WA. 98101-1557

Thanks in advance... I'll try not to "murder" this one before I've had a chance to experiment on it first.
smile.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
New!!!

LED Comparison Method
OC91705.jpg

Since I don't own 16 different LED lights with 16 different outputs, I decided to compare the output of this light with my EternalLight.

If there is resistor in this baby, it's part of plastic. Can easily see the leads from led going to battery contacts and switch

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ted - Great pics. Definitely a bright (not-so) little booger! Where did you get yours?

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Gee, Mr. Bear, couldn't you find something else to illuminate?

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mad_scientist:
Gee, Mr. Bear, couldn't you find something else to illuminate?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, at least he didn't illuminate a toilet or something.
smile.gif

Then again, a toilet might be an ideal target because the porcelain is whiter than most interior house paint and many types of paper...
blush.gif

DebtFree

Newly Enlightened
"Out-In-The-Woods", Alabama "Home of hurricanes an
Looks like they almost made a nice light.
smile.gif

I like the simple battery change-out compartment. If they had just made the light smaller (looks like a lot of wasted space), and added a reflector ... Hmmmmm.

And, if the CR2032's don't burn out the LED ...
I know that's a lot of "if's", but the light has some potential. You would think all those high-powered engineers they have at their disposal would have already worked all that out.

Makes you really appreciate the genius of a "Gransee".
grin.gif

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ted - Great pics. Definitely a bright (not-so) little booger! Where did you get yours? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I live 1 block from a REI store.

AT84028.jpg

Are you happy now
tongue.gif

Jake

Newly Enlightened
Got one of the Energizer lights this weekend, an it's just OKAY. The quality of the light housing feels very cheap, and if you accidentally sat or stepped on it, it'd be toast. The reflector serves no purpose IMO, it scatters the light instead of focusing it. Another thing I noticed is that the LED is tilted (as were most the others), thus you don't get full brightness when you point it at something. I would say this is a good light to leave in your glovebox and not carry around in your pocket.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:
Good grief that`s a big keychain light! I was tempted to get one myself but they want something like 20 bucks to ship it here according to their site, so I changed my mind!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Holy feces!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
20 bucks to ship something that weighs less than a box of kitchen matches?!?!?!?
shocked.gif

I could ship something this size overseas for a buck or two!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jake:
Got one of the Energizer lights this weekend, an it's just OKAY. The quality of the light housing feels very cheap, and if you accidentally sat or stepped on it, it'd be toast. The reflector serves no purpose IMO, it scatters the light instead of focusing it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your assessment is right on the button.
It's big for a keychain, and has a cheap, hollow feel to it. The reflector doesn't do much of anything except improve the physical appearance of the product on the shelf. Total light intercepting & reflecting off it appears to be well under 1% - probably closer to 0.05%.
The keychain clasp feels too small, and is a chore to operate when the light needs to be removed from whatever it is hanging from.

The beam, although somewhat distorted when compared to a bare LED, is still bright enough to be useful as a keychain light or penlight.

Giving the light a slide switch is a plus though - none of that squeeze-only garbage.

$0.03

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast

That`s what I thought- only in a slightly more vulgar term
shocked.gif

They have flat-rate overseas shipping charges- related to order value. 50 bucks or under is $19. It only goes up after that. Stupid isn`t it?

Still, never mind- it means one less light to lose before I get the chance to complete the writeup (not that something that size could be too easilly lost
grin.gif
) I`ve got to come up with a simpler review format....now where did I put that Mile-Light...

tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chris M.:

That`s what I thought- only in a slightly more vulgar term
shocked.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I so wanted to use the "S" word, but that guy in Florida might have something to say about that.
wink.gif

If you want, I'll loan mine to you if I don't manage to destroy it first.

The thing actually looks kind of like a Digi-egg to me. If I hung this thing next to my D3, the local Digimon fans would probably be all over it.
blush.gif

I could probably boost sales substantially by posting pictures of it on the Digimon forums.
grin.gif