Energizer Ultimate and Advanced Lithium AA

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
And I have never come close to depleting a set of batteries on a flight

How many pictures per flight?

I suppose you are not using the flash since you are in space and subjects are to far away anyways for the flash.

So just regular picture shots with no flash, how many do you typically take?

Brlux

Enlightened
That's rite, No flash and the LCD screen is turned off. I have been getting over 800 pictures per flight. The last time it flew it was taking them every 6 seconds and the flight was 2 hours 11 minuets plus about 15 minuets on the ground before the flight. The force of impact upon landing caused the battery springs to disconect so it rebooted the camera and stoped taking pictures when it landed.

The first flight I ever did I used some of the Ultimate Lighium cells and it took about the same number of pictures (15 seconds apart but for a long time on the ground before we recovered it). When I got home I took one of the batteries form the flight and ran it on my CBA with a 500mA load and it still yielded 1.85Ah befor it hit 1V.

nitesky

Newly Enlightened
Great thread. I saw these batteries today in Target and wondered what was up. Thanks for the info. A good use would be the car lights, being subject to some wild temperature extremes or just long term emergency storage? I worry less about run time than just the fact they work in those cases. Nice pictures as well of the ballon launch.

ltiu

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's rite, No flash and the LCD screen is turned off.

Did you do this programmatically or by mechanically disabling the flash and LCD?

taking them every 6 seconds

(15 seconds apart but for a long time on the ground before we recovered it).

6 seconds per flight and 15 seconds per flight. Is this programmatically timed?

odessit

Newly Enlightened
Here is answer from his website
The camera automatically takes pictures every 15 seconds. The camera uses a special firmware version that is loaded on the flash card. The script controls the operation of the camera. For more information, visit the [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,"San Serif"]CHDK Wik[/FONT][FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica,"San Serif"]i.[/FONT]

Brlux

Enlightened
Thanks Odessit for clearing that up.

The script file controls the time interval for the shutter and the LCD is disabled by pressing the display button on the camera until it shuts off prior to launching the script file. I had to memorize the button pattern for launching the script so that I could do it with the display disabled. I know it is working because I set the camera to beep each time it takes a picture. There probably is a command that can be used in the script file to disable the LCD but I don't know that much about the available instructions for my particular camera. O and the script file is a type of basic language that is saved as a text file on the SD card. The CHDK firmware has a script file mode where you can navigate to a saver script and execute it.

chester123

Newly Enlightened
Hi Brlux,

Thanks for your post - very helpful!

We are launching a high-altitude balloon tomorrow - www.spudnik1.co.uk

We are trying to work out what batteries to use for our cameras, the cameras are Cannon Ixus 30 and a Ricoh Caplio R6. Both work off 3.7volts (standard Lithium voltage). We are finding that two Energizer Lithium AA batteries only give 3.4 volts, which is not enough for the cameras. Thinking of adding a 3rd nergizer Lithium AA battery, which brings it to 5.1 volts which may be too much for the cameras? Either it will fry the cameras or cause the internal regulators in the cameras to possibly overheat. So we are considering using diodes to knock down the voltage.

How many cells did you use? and what do you think of using the diodes. Please reply asap.

THANKS!!!

Chester.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you running those Lithium L91's externally, in a carrier of sorts?

How do you know it doesn't fire up? Is it marginal?

Usually the L91 can read up to 1.8 volts without load, so if you ran 4 L91 as a 2s2p, the voltage under load should [hopefully] be sufficient to run your camera.

lovetofly

Newly Enlightened
I was shopping for Energizer Lithium AA cells at target the other day and noticed that they have some new offerings. I could not find much information on them here at CPF or on the web so I got some to test.

Energizer%20Lithium.JPG

The Energizer Ultimate seem to be the new Premium Lithium cells and are branded with a claim of lasting 8X longer than the Energizer MAX Alkaline cells in a digital camera? I guess this is a step up from the last version of the Lithium AA which was touted as 7X. Whether this is a marketing scheme, they actually managed to cram in more power, or the MAX Alkaline cells decreased in power has yet to be determined. The Ultimate cells had an expiration date of 2023, so these must be rated for a 15 year shelf life. (edit shelf life)

The other new player is a lower priced Lithium cell called the Energizer Advanced which claims to last 4X longer than the Energizer MAX Alkaline cell in a digital camera. They have the same temperature ratings as the Ultimate cells -40 to +140 deg F. The Advanced cells had an expiration date of 2018, So these must be rated for a 10 year shelf life. (Edited because I can't subtract)

The Ultimate cells were $9 something per 4 pack of AA and the Advanced were $6 something per 4 pack of AA. I wanted to see how they compared because I use Lithium's in a Canon A570is digital camera that I fly on a weather balloon that can reach 100k feet which is very near space and temperatures can get below -40F so the temperature rating was important to me. Here is a picture from my last flight.
IMG_0737%2090K%20feet%20small.JPG

I ran the 8X Ultimate and the 4X Advanced through my CBA-II with a .5A constant discharge and the results are closer than I was expecting.

Energizer%20lithium%20graph%20small.JPG

Red = Ultimate Lithium 8X cell, Black = Advanced Lithium 4X cell

At roughly 2/3 the price of the Ultimate cells the Advanced look to be a good option for some situations. I will be flying them on my next balloon flight in a few weeks.

I hope this information is useful to someone.

Hi,

This is to the Balloon Photographer,

Could you please get in contact with me, I have a few inquiries about what you do but will keep it brief on here.

My email is gsxr1000freak [at] gmail.com

send me an email and i will get in contact with you then.

Thanks and Best Regards

Chris

CujoNX

Newly Enlightened
might be a stupid question but in a flashlight say like a maratac AAA extreme will a ultimate lithium AAA or a standard AAA be better?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Not a stupid question at ALL !

Energizer L92 Ultimate Lithium batteries give Superior run-time performance.

- and -

They never LEAK ! ! !

:twothumbs

They are the only AAA cells i use !

Oh, and welcome to CandlePowerForums.

:welcome:

_

Jeff E.

Newly Enlightened
I too have been using the Ultimate Lithium cells for years, and they never cease to amaze me! It's sometimes difficult to convince people that paying nearly $2.50 USD per cell for a AA primary is worth it, so I've even given a number of these cells to friends and family (who use alkalines) to try in their digital cameras, etc, and other items that draw heavy power yet only get used intermittently. Without exception, they have all switched to these Ultimate Lithiums and never looked back.

I have also been very happy using them for some fairly regularly used items like wireless video game controllers. They are extremely light weight, and pack a tun of run-time with no discharge if they don't get used for a while.

appliancejunk

Enlightened
I'm a big fan of the AA Ultimate Lithium. Got one of the new Inova X1 the other day and official run time on high is 1.75 hours on there website. I run the light on high with a AA Ultimate Lithium in it for 4.5 hours and it was still going strong. Need to see how much more I can get out of the same battery when I have more time to test it.

If you watch for the sales and buy the larger packs the prices are not that bad on the Ultimate Lithium either.

They are extremely light weight

Funny you say that. It's one of the first things I notice when I opened my first package of them. Still remember thinking darn this battery is light weight, lol..
You would not think it would make a difference, but even just EDC a flashlight that uses a single AA battery I can notice the difference in weight with the flashlight in my pocket.

nguyet16

Newly Enlightened
yeah...every time I go to Sam's club I always pick up a couple of 12 pack of the ultimate lithium,which is at a good price.Always good to have more batteries,just in case.

PhotonSuperposition

Newly Enlightened
Some new test results from the December 2011 issue of Consumer Reports has led me to revive this old thread. Apparently, they tested the Energizer Advanced against the Ultimate, and the Advanced batteries scored twice as well as the Ultimate ones! It seems like a mistake, but they have all of their figures straight so it's not a simple typo. Here is the data;

Energizer Advanced: Shots - 809
Price per Pair - $5.40
Cost per 50 Shots - $0.33

Energizer Ultimate: Shots - 470
Price per Pair - $6.00
Cost per 50 Shots - $0.64

So, what is going on here? Did Energizer switch their battery chemistry to mess around with us? Is this in error? It seems like such a strange result, as it counters both our testing here at CPF and the advertising BS on the package.

Any ideas? Perhaps a new test is in order.

Battery Guy

Enlightened
Somebody definitely messed this up. I recently ran the ANSI digital camera test protocol on these cells and got 702 photos with the Ultimate and 465 with the Advanced.

So either CR screwed up their samples, or Energizer mixed up their labels. My bet is that the screw up is on the CR side.

PhotonSuperposition

Newly Enlightened
Say it isn't so! :ohgeez: Though, I have been seeing evidence of sloppiness down at CR recently. Their recent 'Best of' buying guide was filled with errors, particularly in the realm of digital cameras, where they were listing Canadian prices for some cameras (Panasonic) next to American prices for others (Sony). Kind of makes a fair comparison difficult! :thumbsdow