Energizer Ultimate and Advanced Lithium AA

appliancejunk

Enlightened
Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries 8x vs 9x?

Looking on ebay at Energizer ultimate lithium batteries I see that some of the packages say, "Last up to 8x longer" and some say "Last up to 9x longer".

I take it the ones that say 9x are a newer version.

Has anyone tested the 8x vs 9x in any flashlights to see if they do last longer?

I'm really interested in if they last any longer or if it's just a marketing ploy.

moozooh

Enlightened
Re: Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries 8x vs 9x?

Apparently Energizer has updated their UL line earlier this year, and the 9x ones are indeed the newer version.

The 9x vs. 8x is claimed against their own Energizer MAX alkaline, which, admittedly, doesn't say much. I'd expect the difference to be on the order of 150 mAh at most, or maybe just better discharge curves at higher loads without actual increase in capacity.

Edit: Also, there seem to be QC issues with the improved ULs.

Last edited:

appliancejunk

Enlightened

Edit: Also, there seem to be QC issues with the improved ULs.

I only read a few complaints over the last few months so I don't know if I would call it a QC issue.

I would guess getting dead or weak batteries once in awhile has been going on for years.

The reason I say this is that about 5 years ago I also got some dead Energizer ultimate batteries. I was out of town and picked some up for my camera. Later that day I put them in my camera and the low battery light come on right away and then the camera died.

At first I thought it was my camera, but after buying another set of batteries I found out the camera worked just fine.

Never thought much about the bad batteries after that and as of today never had another bad set of Energizer Ultimate lithiums.

moozooh

Enlightened

Oh, well, it's probably the same then. I also sent a question to Energizer using their Q&A form where I asked what constituted the improvement (increase in capacity or stronger discharge handling) and what was the raw capacity of the improved batteries measured at 0.1 A discharge rate. I don't exactly expect them to answer that in a way that would satisfy my curiosity, but who knows, maybe they will.

Dubois

Enlightened

The 9x vs. 8x is claimed against their own Energizer MAX alkaline, which, admittedly, doesn't say much. I'd expect the difference to be on the order of 150 mAh at most, or maybe just better discharge curves at higher loads without actual increase in capacity.

I think it's just marketing nonsense. It could, of course, be that their alkaline batteries have got worse:naughty:

Yamabushi

Enlightened

The Energizer product datasheets show almost no difference between the 8X and 9X versions except the following:

Form No. EBC - 4201R9X (I assume the "9X" means it's for the 9X version) states that "Max Discharge: 3.0 Amps Continuous/5.0 Amps Pulse (2 sec on / 8 sec off)"
Form No. EBC - 4201R (which IIRC was for the 8X) states: "Max Discharge: 2.0 Amps Continuous/3.0 Amps Pulse (2 sec on / 8 sec off)"

Form No. EBC - 4201R9X includes a graph that shows High Drain Performance 1000mA Continuous (21°C) terminates at 0.8 V in 3 hours.
Form No. EBC - 4201R includes a graph that shows High Drain Performance 1000mA Continuous (21°C) terminates at 0.8 V in 4 hours but this is contradicted by all the other charts which show performance for the 8X and 9X to be virtually identical.

Form No. EBC - 4201R9X is available at data.energizer.com

lwknight

Enlightened

I think that they are the same with a higher priced label for those who will pay more for the top of the line or believe that if you pay more you get more.

GimmeDaLite

Newly Enlightened
Idk if it matters to people but the trends I have noticed in stores recently, stores like home depot, albertsons (jewel osco) and so forth. I saw a trend of these advanced lithium batteries going on clearance and as of today and yesterday I bought 8 packs for 3.99 USD ea. I was entirely amazed because prior to this deal the best I've paid were 3.79 USD for a four pack. Needless to say I bought all I possibly could when I saw 3.99 for 8. Idk why it would be pushed on clearance so hard but maybe it's an attempt by energizer to keep the monopoly by only having one lithium to choose from.