Energizer vs. Duracell 15 Minute Chargers

scott

Enlightened
I've heard good things about the Energizer 15 minute chargers. My local Walmart has them for the same price as the Duracell 15 minute charger. I know nothing about the Duracell charger except that it comes with a car adaptor (and the Energizer doesn't...or at least I couldn't see it in the package.) So...is one better than the other?

Scott

danielo_d

Enlightened
I'd like to hear some input also.
I bought the Duracell 15 min pack at Costco recently.
Haven't broken them in, just yet.

Am new to rechargables, except for the Proprietary Li-ions in the dig cam.
So, please, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Tnx!!!

[edit: I did read in another thread that the charger would take longer when using the Car Adapter. Also, don't know about the Energizer charger, but the Duracell charger has a fan to cool the batteries and maybe the charger, too during the charge process.]

Danno

Last edited:

MrAl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi there,

I got the Energizer 15 min charger. It seems to work nice i guess.
Doesnt come with automobile cord but will work on 12vdc also
if you get a cord with a power plug on one end and a cigar lighter
plug on the other.
Only comes with four AA size 2200mAh NiMH cells.
Wont charge some lower cost cells that happen to have higher internal resistance...

Charged:
four 2200mAh Energizer cells ok
four 2500mAh Energizer cells ok
four 1800mAh Radio Shack cells ok
four Duracell 2050mAh cells ok
Would not charge:
four Digital brand cells

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've asked Tom (Silverfox) if he wanted to test the Duracell charger and he does. He's been out of town for several weeks and is due home this week, so I'll be sending him my charger in the next few days.

scott

Enlightened
Kitelights,

I'm definitely waiting for Silverfox's review before making a purchase. In the meantime, though, what are your impressions of the Duracell charger?

Scott

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had difficulty with both the Energizer and Duracell. I purchased the Energizer last year b/c of the great reviews and the only cells that I could get it to charge, were the (4) 2200s that came with it. After several months, I purchased a 12 package of the 2500s and they worked in the charger for a short while.

I was frustrated that the charger rejected more cells than it would charge so it sat unused most of the time. More threads and posts came up over and over about how good the charger was, that I finally sent it off to Energizer. I never found out what, if anything was wrong with it - they just sent me a refund. I bought a new one, and had the same problems.

At that time, I started reading comments on the Duracell and it showed up at Costco, so I returned the Energizer and bought the Duracell. Same problems except for the new cells. Between Tom's posts and PMs, I determined that most of my cells had developed too high of an internal resistance and there was now a history of problems with my newer 2500 Engergizers. Tom has discovered that several of his cells develop too high of an IR after as few as 125 cycles on the 15 minute charger.

Meanwhile, I've purchased the LaCrosse charger and a few sets of cells. I've decided that the vast majority of my new cells will be the new low self discharge cells. I have one 4 pack of the eneloop AAs, one 4 pack of AmondoTech's brand of AAs and one 4 pack of their AAAs. The charger came with 4 AAA and 4AA LaCrosse cells and I picked up a 4 pack of the Titanium 2400s b/c they had such good test results. I've run a few cycles on the LaCrosse, but I've really had very little time to make any determinations.

Tom PMd me today that he has already purchased the Duracell and has started forming the cells that came with it, so he'll start testing the charger soon. His results will determine whether or not I'll keep the charger.

Another member has put the Duracell through its paces and it appears that lowing the input voltage might have a positive effect on it's operation. The supply that comes with it is 16V and 4A and IIRC I think he used a 13.5V supply.

I'm waiting for more results, but I'm leaning towards steering away from the 15 minute chargers or using cells with it that I consider more readily expendible.