Energy saving / cost saving ideas

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Shop around for EVERYTHING!
Not just car insurance. You'd be surprised how much you can save!
For example, Aldi is going to offer you a massive savings over shopping at Whole Foods. Yes, there are some lack of convenience issues involved with Aldi. But if those don't personally effect you, well; there you go.

Also, get a neighbor or two to go in with you on Store club memberships. One membership split between 2 or 3 people who trust everyone involved can lead to some impressive savings at places like Costco or Sam's Club. Just agree on whose name will be on the card. Yes, some places will insist that the named member be the only one who can use the card. Okay, have that person do all the shopping once a week for everyone. Either drive that person to the store in your vehicle and help them shop, or everyone pitches in to reimburse that individual for gas used.

Again, this only works if the neighbors are close. Both in terms of relationship and actual distance to each other.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i live on deals ive has cars way beyond my means buy deal shoping same with computers cameras etc etc

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Just have a kid. I guarantee you will learn how to save money. Because you have to. I have friends that make well over 200K a year and they are so cheap they'd still Christ off the cross and come back for the nails. And no that's not how they got rich. I think once you get up to a certain income you can let go a bit and not save every penny you make.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just have a kid. I guarantee you will learn how to save money. Because you have to. I have friends that make well over 200K a year and they are so cheap they'd still Christ off the cross and come back for the nails. And no that's not how they got rich. I think once you get up to a certain income you can let go a bit and not save every penny you make.
Save as much as you can, while still occasionally trying to enjoy Life.
Life is horrifyingly unpredictable when you stop and think about it.
Normal, routine day. Step off the curb, get hit by a bus! Life altered!
(Or, gone. You didn't even see that bus coming.)

Then there are all the close calls you have no clue took place. Need to stop at the bank to withdraw cash. You decide to take side roads home from work. Stop off at the bank. Come home. All good. Meanwhile a drunken lunatic on the Expressway you normally take to get home, plowed into an innocent driver and took their life. That was supposed to be you behind that innocent driver. You're at home though, blissfully unaware.

Save up as much money as you can. If the cheap alternative of what you need will get the job done, don't spend significantly more on the expensive option if the cheap one is good enough. Yes, some things are worth paying a premium for. A lot of other things, are not.

Imagine if everyone on Earth knew their Death Day. How many would live their lives exactly the same way they are doing now.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I priced making an ordinary tuna salad sandwich at home using low-cost store brands. This includes whole-wheat bread (but not the fancy whole-grain type which is about twice the price), and flaked tuna, with some chopped celery and a couple of dollops of salad dressing.

Five sandwiches works out to around $4, so 80c each.

Dave
My costing was based on 2-1/2 sandwiches per tuna tin, YMMV.

I save money on tuna by selecting "flake" versus "chunk". The latter sometimes commands a bit of premium, and the lowest-cost brand ($1.27 can regular) does not offer "chunk". It's usually (I imagine) going to end up flaked in most people's sandwiches anyway...

Dave

"You can tune a piano, but can you tuna fish?"

letschat7

Suspended
I buy whatever I can find that is made in Europe or USA. If I can't afford it, I don't need it. I can always work more hours if need be.

If it something that is crazy expensive I have to ask myself why can't I afford this when my parents and grandparents could. Why is the dollar and pound falling? This is typically a sedan, house, or medical treatment, education even.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If it something that is crazy expensive I have to ask myself why can't I afford this when my parents and grandparents could. Why is the dollar and pound falling?
Inflation is the simple answer. The real one is a lot more complicated. With the exception of technology and medical procedures, there are no advantages to being young and alive today. Parents and grand-parents had more freedom, more money, and more opportunities. High-paying jobs in the 1950s that only required a high school education, now require a Graduate's Degree to even be seen for an interview.

Long before he passed, Dad told me of the most respected Old Timer who worked for the New York City MTA. He just showed up one day at 17 years-old. Said he needed a job, said he was willing to learn and work hard. That's it! He simply showed up, and asked! They hired him too! Combination job/apprenticeship. He worked there until he retired at age 62. Never had an actual job interview his entire life. Never knew what it was like to be laid off or fired. Just started working at age 17. Retired at age 62. Got married somewhere in between. Got himself a very large and impressive house. Got himself a few kids. Enjoyed a very relaxing and luxurious retirement afterwards until he died.

Yeah, try doing that now!

letschat7

Suspended
My grandfather went into U.S. Army with only an 8th grade education and when the war was over he went to work at Dupont as a Chemist.

When I graduated high school my education was worthless. During Occupy WallStreet some people with college degrees and 100K USD debt couldn't get jobs either.

I mostly worked as a day labourer until I went to prison and now I have a GED, along with HS diploma, and some college and I'm better able to find employment with a long rap sheet for hate crime, gun crime, terrorism, and a reputation as something you can guess but no charges to go along with it.

If I knew failing a background check made a person more employable I would have most certainly caught some charges sooner.

The same place I work at now that is a famous American business you all probably go to at least once a week wouldn't hire me when I came in with a resume, a suit, and a clean background. Now I work as many hours as I can. My coworkers call off a lot, the have mental health days, they get fired for drug usage, the quit and come back often. I show up early and pick shifts up. I cross train as much as possible and work as hard as I can.

I wonder how the next generation will do?