EOI: ReyLight Damascus and BRASS AA Flashlight (Proto done)

phosphor22

Enlightened
Re: Code in OP : ReyLight Pineapple Brass 14500/AA Flashlight, Nichia 219C

Yes, there are Springs at both ends....

Not on mine.

I do have a wobbly switch button though; haven't figured out how to shim it or correct it in some other way. Really like this light; have to get another I think.

Last edited:

hbk_rey

Enlightened

Not on mine.

I do have a wobbly switch button though; haven't figured out how to shim it or correct it in some other way. Really like this light; have to get another I think.

Borrow this from Tom E:
For the button, what I did was move the rubber boot inside the collar instead of outside, as it came. To me it feels a bit better, works well. I added some Nyogel where the cap makes contact to the brass collar and the end cap assembly. There's still some wobble but I find it acceptable.I fiddled with a couple o-rings in various places, but it took away the button press ability - not a good thing, so I didn't pursue the O-rings any further.

hbk_rey

Enlightened

There is no spring on driver side, mistake?

phosphor22

Enlightened

Borrow this from Tom E:
For the button, what I did was move the rubber boot inside the collar instead of outside, as it came. To me it feels a bit better, works well. I added some Nyogel where the cap makes contact to the brass collar and the end cap assembly. There's still some wobble but I find it acceptable.I fiddled with a couple o-rings in various places, but it took away the button press ability - not a good thing, so I didn't pursue the O-rings any further.

Thanks Rey - I'll try this!

gunga

Flashaholic
Hey folks. I just wanted to address a few switch issues people have noted with the pineapple.

The wobbly or sloppy switch is due to excessive space between the button and the actual switch. I solve this by adding a couple layers of sticker material (I use spare glow sticker material) to take up the slack. I prefer adding it to the switch rather then the steel button. Seems like a more reliable location.

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1480054542.278659.jpg

ImageUploadedByCandlepowerforums1480054562.295065.jpg

The second issue is that of wobbly tailstanding because the steel button protrudes slightly. The only real solution is to add a thin spacer between the button and the tailcap (unless you want to try removing material from the button, not recommended). Unfortunately the space is very tight and no available washer or spacer fits. One can shift the switch assembly down internally with spacers but that actually makes the switch more sloppy. Conversely, the fix to reduce slop in the button makes tailstanding worse. So keep that in mind.

So the wobbly button can be fixed. The wobbly tailstanding cannot.

I've read of people moving the rubber boot inside brass collar. That might improve feel but it also makes the light less waterproof since the rubber boot is used as a seal behind the button.

Last edited:

YummyBacon!

Enlightened

Thank you very much!

I can't give a definite answer yet cause ive only carried it for 2 days.

I used Jeff Clubb's method:

Birchwood Casey Perma Blue (liquid gun blue).

I polished it up with brass to remove all oxidation first then clean it up with alcohol.
Then applied 1 layer of the gun blue with a sponge, wait for about 2-3 mins before applying the another.
I did about 3-4 layers before getting to this darkness...

phosphor22

Enlightened
Hey folks. I just wanted to address a few switch issues people have noted with the pineapple.

The wobbly or sloppy switch is due to excessive space between the button and the actual switch. I solve this by adding a couple layers of sticker material (I use spare glow sticker material) to take up the slack. I prefer adding it to the switch rather then the steel button. Seems like a more reliable location.

View attachment 4138

View attachment 4139

The second issue is that of wobbly tailstanding because the steel button protrudes slightly. The only real solution is to add a thin spacer between the button and the tailcap (unless you want to try removing material from the button, not recommended). Unfortunately the space is very tight and no available washer or spacer fits. One can shift the switch assembly down internally with spacers but that actually makes the switch more sloppy. Conversely, the fix to reduce slop in the button makes tailstanding worse. So keep that in mind.

So the wobbly button can be fixed. The wobbly tailstanding cannot.

I've read of people moving the rubber boot inside brass collar. That might improve feel but it also makes the light less waterproof since the rubber boot is used as a seal behind the button.

Fabulous - tried adding a couple layers to the switch button to build it up a bit - no more sloppy wobble! thanks gunga

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast

there's no spring on the driver side on mine....

Wow, I guess the pain meds are even better than I realized-I'm seeing things that aren't there. The funny thing is that even though there is no spring at the head, the two different flat tops I tried both work. Thanks to Mick & everyone who caught my mistake....

hbk_rey

Enlightened

Polished the light and put it in the vinegar with boiled egg last Sunday, after 4 days, nearly nothing happened, expect the SS button turned black.

001_zpsn5akcn92.jpg

002_zpslabnerfz.jpg

Weld Inspector

Enlightened

Wow Rey u put the proto in that concoction?

hbk_rey

Enlightened

Ti proto was done.
QQ20161209113859_zpskxsfmgft.jpg