Epoxy Question

archer6817j

Enlightened
I normally just eyeball when I mix 2 part epoxies. I don't think you need to weigh it. If the proportions are off it will just cure faster or slower than its supposed to, but it will still cure...unless you are way off.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I normally just eyeball when I mix 2 part epoxies. I don't think you need to weigh it. If the proportions are off it will just cure faster or slower than its supposed to, but it will still cure...unless you are way off.

Yeah that's what I've started doing. I got my first mix wrong (it went everywhere it wasn't supposed to go and didn't stay where I want it to haha) but since then I've seem to nailed it down pretty well. Progress is gooooood :)

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast

With 1:1 by volume mix ratio epoxys (most consumer grade stuff) this is the way to go, the ones with the 5:1 by weight mix ratios or 2/5ths by volume or whatnot are a bit trickier to get just right without gradated cups or a small scale.

Mattaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
the ones with the 5:1 by weight mix ratios or 2/5ths by volume or whatnot are a bit trickier to get just right without gradated cups or a small scale.

And that's exactly what I use (epoxy...not the cups). It does eventually dry as mentioned previously. It just takes a bit longer. my first mix took days lol. WAY off.

archer6817j

Enlightened
Ah 5:1 is a good point. What if you printed two different size circles on a piece of paper as a rough guide? Not accurate per se but it might be better than nothing :)

Or, you could get a couple of graduated dispensing syringes from McMaster and load them full from the original tubes. I like that better :) makes me wonder why they don't package it that way!

Walterk

Enlightened
If the proportions are off it will just cure faster or slower than its supposed to, but it will still cure...unless you are way off.

Within margins, yes.
To be precise only part of the epoxy will cure, so the final product will not meet the specs and will behave not as expected.
Most likely you wouldnt notice the difference, but it could show on the long term.
The resin for epoxy is most times not that harmfull, but the hardener usually has an acid nature in it.
For a divelight for example I would find it critical, I would weight when sealing or bonding.

Latest posts