eternaLight Model 4Z EliteMax mini Review

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are my first impressions of this light which I just picked up a few hours ago.

Setting #1 is max brightness 77LUX at 1-meter (Throw 8.7m or 28.8ft) lasting for 6 regulated hours
Setting #3 is 36% of max brightness which is just like an Arc AAA and lasting for 16 regulated hours or 140 unregulated Arc AAA type hours.

The Exposed LEDs can be distracting on the higher settings to the user or person if standing in their periphery. Also exposed LEDs are not as comfortable for ceiling bounce room lighting as a traditional reflector for the same reason. The Streamlight 3C-XP does it much better for much longer.

Good for a rear-ward pocket or hanging visibility strobe while walking at night. It also has a high power blue glow setting better suited for frontal position. Soft blue glow setting is good for bedside ready-to-find light.

This light can use a mod to more efficient LEDs for higher light output in all settings, while maintaining the same runtimes. This would probably be a nice improvement to the lower settings.

jtice

Flashaholic
I couldnt agree more, I just got mine today as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LOVE it overal.
I didnt expect it to be real bright, and actually, it is bright, for 4 5mm leds.

I found I need to point it down just aliitl more than I would a normal light, so I dont get a glare from the sides fo the leds, but its not bad.

Having all the light levels is great, you can always find one that suits your needs.

I had fun stopping my computer fan with the variable rate strobe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I plan to replace the stock leds with new 5mm 27,000mcd ones, and if someone can find a way to boost its max outputs that would be GREAT,
I see a few resistors in there, it might be possible /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I got 35 Lux on max power, 52 with the momentary overdrive
It only dropped to about 32 Lux with alkilines in it, the overdrive stayed at 52

Overall, great light, Im glad I got it, just dont expect it to be really bright, and you will love it.

CroMAGnet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi JT. I'm wondering about your LUX readings. Are they for the EliteMax model? At 1-meter? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Quickbeam shows 69 LUX on the marine model which is just a bit weaker than the EliteMax. So the 77 LUX readings I took are in line perfectly. (I've had a few lights come in at exactly Quickbeams posted stats)

jtice

Flashaholic
oops, Im sorry about that, I dont think i had my meter zeroed out correctly.

I average about 63 on max, and i peaked at 80 on overdrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Im excited to see what the readings will be after the new 27,000mcd leds are installed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Here's a question about the regulation in the EliteMax. Suppose you run the light in regulated mode until it effectively dies. If you then switch it into unregulated mode, will it fire up again at a low, but usable output? The battery lifetime in regulated mode on the graph shown on www.techass.com seems unnaturally short, whereas the lifetime in the unregulated mode has a very long tail of slowly decreasing output. JW (Just Wondering)

powergraph.jpg

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello CromagNet,

Nice review.

I found that I carry the light in the palm of my hand which puts the LED's in a row up and down. I then simply slip my thumb a bit forward and any glare from the exposed LED's is gone.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello PhotonBoy,

To answer your question - No.

If you compute the "area under the curve" for both modes, they should be the same. It takes more energy to keep the light at a constant brightness, thus the batteries are used up in a shorter time. If you let the light dim down, the batteries last a longer time.

Tom

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
SilverFox: "...they should be the same..."

I agree with you, but eyeballing it, the unregulated curve appears to have more area under it. (I have taken calculus btw). Is your comment based on actual use of the flashlight or on theory?

Then again, perhaps the regulating circuitry is somewhat inefficient, sacrificing some of the energy and/or runtime for higher output.

jtice

Flashaholic
PhotonBoy,

Thats a VERY good question,
But I think SilverFox has it right.

It really depends on how its programmed, you MIGHT be able to get just alittle light out of it by switching to unregged after it "dies"
But it might not even be enough to get it going...

Also, notice its not really worth putting the light in regulation mode with lithiums ??
Thats cuz lithiums have a very flat output to begin with, you will actually get alot more usable runtime if you have it un-regulated with lithiums. (or at least thats what the chart says)

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello PhotonBoy,

I have not actually measured the difference. My comments reflect what Tom (the owner of Technology Associates) said when the EliteMax was released.

I took another look at my instructions and you are correct, the unregulated curve does appear to have more area...

I run mine unregulated with Lithium batteries.

Tom