EV charging cables cut by copper "recyclers"

Lark Hunter

Newly Enlightened
Hmm... This is kinda weird. I thought this was going to be a discussion about sad sack bungholes thieving copper to finance another fix while itching their sores, but it looks like it's more of a rantpile on the benefits and drawbacks of electric vehicles.

I guess I will proffer that I'm seeing EV's being more of a niche product than they were first promised and advertised to be. More of a plaything for people who have the discretionary income to swing that sort of thing, than Point A-B transportation for erryone who needs to be somewhere. Sure, there are a few eccentrics and diehards that can and will go the distance in an electric, and I'm sure charging will get better as time goes on. They missed their mark. This is how I expected it to be, and that's okay. I live 50 miles from the Lucid Motors plant, and I kinda like the looks of those... I'd like to drive one for a weekend! Think about it, though... Less than 20 years ago, electric vehicles were a sick joke, and now they're actually making up a few percent of the cars on the road. I wish we could get to that point where automakers and whoever's pushing them from behind would quit pretending and trying to force them into roles where they just don't fit, and really aren't ever going to fit.

That said, not all that long ago, I saw a row of chargers behind and alongside of a gas station that were vandalized beyond repair. Like beaten to death. FWIW- no cables were missing. Whatever your stance is, I see no reason to be a pain in the *** like this. Time will run its course and I'm guessing we'll reach equilibrium. Electrics will be along for the trip, and so will the dastardly liquid fueled machines, and we'll all be okay.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Electrics will be along for the trip, and so will the dastardly liquid fueled machines, and we'll all be okay.
Friends of mine just paid $12k for a used Chevy Bolt with 4k miles on it. You can buy a new one for around $20k. As far as gas powered vehicles go, they will die because they are so expensive to run and service, as well as poisoning the planet. It's the EPwAy of the future. Not to mention they have vehicles in China that can charge to 80% in 11 minutes. Tick, tock. Another friend just bought a 2015 Toyota Hybrid SUV, from a friend, for $1,000. In my opinion her friend was getting rid of a stranded asset.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
Losing $50k per vehicle is not sustainable. However, not making them and falling back to hybrids is also not a winning strategy.
+

What you're not totally grasping is;; manufactures are looking at what's selling & what people are interested in.

People who really wanted an EV got one, people on the fence right now will likely just get a hybrid,,
everyone else, including myself, will never own an EV.

Has nothing to do with profitability.

Look at what's coming out of Germany, Japan, Korea, US in the next few years,, it'll be hybrids
mark my words

Last edited:

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Heard on news a fella who lives in big city came out to his car to find a thief underneath his car in the process cutting off catalytic.. The owner confronted the guy and got a bullet in his foot. Some of these thieves are armed with more than a sawsall.

So are garden variety citizens. The criminal idiots should realize that.

Would like to think it's a self-correcting problem when it comes to that sort of handling. But there are so many addicts, out there, looking for whatever income via whatever means they can. I don't suppose even if every single one gets caught such crimes will cease, as there'll likely be another two or three popping up to take their place. Sad state of affairs.

Of course, with policing being what it is (what with the lunatic 'defunding' experiment being implemented and the general backlash against LEOs), many agencies across the states have effectively down-graded the urgency of such reports ... essentially leaving that 'playing field' open to the criminals. And, leaving the citizens preferring policing instead being left high and dry on their own. Isn't going to end well.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
+

What you're not totally grasping is;; manufactures are looking at what's selling & what people are interested in.

People who really wanted an EV got one, people on the fence right now will likely just get a hybrid,,
everyone else, including myself, will never own an EV.

Has nothing to do with profitability.

Look at what's coming out of Germany, Japan, Korea, US in the next few years,, it'll be hybrids
mark my words
What people want is to get from point a to point b as inexpensively as possible. It also has to be done within the law. So far government is mandating Zero Emissions. There is no way to do that with dead dinosaurs. Toyota would have you believe hybrids are the way. Tesla, even though it's not the cheapest, has the best selling in the world model Y. Even you will have an EV when it is economically forced on you and you partner kicks you in the butt and asks why we are paying so much for transportation. Even Audi knows what will eventually happen.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

I'd sell your Tesla stock ^^

Last edited:

mrfixitman

Enlightened
educating others needs to be done tactfully.

Spreading a thought and idea is not wrong. However, when it starts to become clear that it's falling on deaf ears and eliciting negative responses is when one should stop. Being right does not justify abrasive behavior no matter how much science and data backs you up. Persisting the wrong way about a cause gives a good cause a bad reputation.
Tact is in the eye of the beholder. Even ostriches stick their heads up once in a while. Sending a consistent message is the way to enforce a thought. Math and science are the only way. My pocketbook especially. Or you can bend over to eXXon and have them continue to leech on you. Poisoning us. The truth and reality don't change if you are right or wrong. They just are.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
They should be investing into induction charging system like EV1 had, same thing as iphone wireless charging, just bigger. build bases into pavement, a car pulls up, lowers a paddle mounted to its underside over the charging coil, and charges via magnetic field. no wires needed, vandal proof system.
A plug is cost effective and I already have one. Where I am the idiots have other agendas.

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha ... science and data, hahahahaha, dude, you obviously got your education from the fake news media, like a gullible & obedient little sheep. If you had any brains at all, they must have leaked out your multiple jab holes. I'll bet you drive around in your EV still wearing your covid mask and plastic face shield, don't you. Hahahahahahahahaha. :barf:

I tried to hold back and ignore your rambling gibberish, because your nonsense doesn't really deserve a reply, but I can't just sit by and watch you insult the fine folks on this forum.
You are simply a sheep on another agenda. Who is correct will be reflected in the pocketbook.

ItnStln

Newly Enlightened
Losing $50k per vehicle is not sustainable. However, not making them and falling back to hybrids is also not a winning strategy.
1712403704630.gif

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Charging cables not around to be cut, urban solution for third world:

mrfixitman

Enlightened
Charging cables not around to be cut, urban solution for third world:

I am happy with my battery. Swap will cost more and bring you back to Gas car pay as you go paradigm. There are already cars that charge to 80% in 11 minutes. Swap is irrelevant.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
AP is a left biased site, when they "debunk" anything they call right wing miss information, they are not debunking anything, but doing damage control. Only makes me believe it more.