EV owner stats

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should probably explain. I've been to the USA. Everything is big because you lucky people have lots of room. I'm british and I come from somewhere that is very small. Roads are small and small cars are necessary. "Lifted Wranglers" don't exist. Speed limits are low and I have never seen anything T boned. I have however seem lots of single car RTAs caused by stupidity and drugs or alcohol. Only one of these is legal (when mixed with cars) but they are all undesirable.,
Well, worlds we live in are as different as they can be,. In mine, most cars are pick ups and suv 5000lb and up normally traveling at 100kmh and up, otoh single car accidents are rare compared to 2 and more cars accidents.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which makes and models do you not recommend?
I would not recommend any subcompact, from any manufacturer, doesn't matter its crash ratings. Cars that I do not think should be on USA roads today are; smart cars, scion iq, hyundai accent, mitsu mirage, ford fiesta, chevy sonic, chevy spark. and similar others.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
After noting where this thread has gone lately, for grins, I just looked at the last column in this chart. If you're not biased, prepare to be amazed. The word 'insane' is over-used these days, but it fits in this case. No physics degree required here:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
But the damage is not equal. Is it? Thus making the smaller car less safe if one considers the possibility of collisions. That's the only point I was making. Smaller cars are less safe compared to larger cars.
I'm sorry, I just can't agree. Crumple zones, seat-belts, air-bags.... People in smaller cars are surviving. And, I don't mean doing so with utterly broken bodies to show for it. I'm living proof of that, so is my best friend. Two different accidents, many years apart. I ended up with a sprained wrist. He ended up with back-pain that went away after several days.

Quite frankly, the only thing I suffered worse than the sprained wrist was nausea from inhaling all the fumes from the exploded air-bag in my face. But, I survived!

I'm sorry, I just can't agree. Crumple zones, seat-belts, air-bags.... People in smaller cars are surviving. And, I don't mean doing so with utterly broken bodies to show for it. I'm living proof of that, so is my best friend. Two different accidents, many years apart. I ended up with a sprained wrist. He ended up with back-pain that went away after several days.

Quite frankly, the only thing I suffered worse than the sprained wrist was nausea from inhaling all the fumes from the exploded air-bag in my face. But, I survived!
So we'll just agree to disagree, agreeable. 👋 There's no sense beating a dead horse.

H-Man

Enlightened
I'm here happily plugging away at using a PHEV. Drive to the other side of the country? Let's go. Pull a trailer? It'll pull like a locomotive. It's 2 tons wet, so with my trailer, a pax, my transbian butt, all the tools, etc and you are easily looking at 3 tons but it does not act like you have 3 tons to move. Regen makes descending a mile easy without worrying about brake heat to the point that I'm still on the factory pads and rotors.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
Well, worlds we live in are as different as they can be,. In mine, most cars are pick ups and suv 5000lb and up normally traveling at 100kmh and up, otoh single car accidents are rare compared to 2 and more cars accidents.
Given that you work in a body shop I reckon your experience trumps mine. Different worlds indeed!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm here happily plugging away at using a PHEV. Drive to the other side of the country? Let's go. Pull a trailer? It'll pull like a locomotive....
I'm genuinely curious. Have you actually done that?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
1720709136302.png

pumps

Newly Enlightened
I'm completely on the sidelines on this issue, and frankly 'couldn't care less' personally; however I stumbled across these stats which got even my attention and were / are very interesting to say the least, and I'm sure many who do care about this subject will find them interesting:

McKinsey has had some issues . Google McKinsey scandal.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
McKinsey has had some issues . Google McKinsey scandal.
In addition to that historical info, this survey data may also be flawed. I don't know that, and I'm not sure anyone (here) does. I assume that possibility with any statistical survey data as a matter of policy, including this data.

If it is flawed, I'm sure we will see the data contested by someone. Barring that, I'm open to comparable data from other sources that refutes this data, if it exists. I'll be on the lookout for either, but for now, this is the only data I've seen on this. Please let us know if you run across either of those two things, as that will certainly increase my skepticism. For now, as with all such data, I will conditionally accept it until it is refuted or is replaced by other data directly suggesting it is inaccurate.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it is the only data available, it is unverifiable, so I would not trust it, and if you believe it may have a political hint, (i have little doubts it does, cuz this EV issue is politicized to no end) , I'd disregard it completely.

Half sounds way too much. I think rejection rate of an EV would be no different than any other car that people have buying remorse about, and that is about 8-10% across the board.

Last edited:

Mothman

Newly Enlightened
We bought our Mach E in 2021. Out 33k on it and not once had to take it in for any sort of issues. Wife was t-boned in it by a distracted driver doing 60mph in a 2014 Mazda SUV. His cars front end and engine were completely mashed. My wife's car, five of the side and front airbags went off, it was beat up but not as bad. That car saved her life. If basically filled up like a balloon. We think he was high because he refused medical.

I'm not saying EVs are the answer. It's just an alternative. Not a solution. A fun, fast and at least for us, a safe and practical alternative.

I still drive my '21 manual transmission ICE Wrangler and ride a big noisy Fat Boy too.

For the last fifteen year I've dumped 220 gallons of fuel at a time into my 34' Cruisers too.

Nothing against ICE. Nothing against fuel.

But EV's are here. They are getting better, and they are an alternative for certain people and simply a choice for others.

We got another Mach E for her. The peace of mind, no matter how contrived or real, is worth it.

And here in MD, the impact of cost for us to charge it at home is negligible.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think rejection rate of an EV would be no different than any other car that people have buying remorse about
You generally seem pretty logical, however given the vast, significant, and fundamental differences between the two types of vehicles (EV/ICE), I don't feel this is a logical assumption at all.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You generally seem pretty logical, however given the vast, significant, and fundamental differences between the two types of vehicles (EV/ICE), I don't feel this is a logical assumption at all.

From the Google.
Do you know what percentage of EV owners own only an EV?

About 4 percent.

The rest – about 96 percent – own another vehicle that isn't a battery powered device.
If 96% of Ev owners already own a gas car, then "half the Ev drivers want to switch back" does not add up whatsoever.

TPA

Enlightened
From the ChatGPTs:
Approximately 54% of EV owners in the U.S. own only electric vehicles, while the remaining 46% of EV owners also have internal combustion engine (ICE) vehicles or plan to switch back to them. This trend reflects a mix of satisfaction and challenges, particularly concerning public charging infrastructure and long-term ownership costs

Sources cited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
46% number came from a single source, a very controversial McKinsey , and has been copy pasted by dozens or more sources. it was not verified by other sources, does not mean it is the fact. In fact several different sources, you can tell they are different cuz numbers are close but not exact match, which is how it is in reality when different people do different stats, between 4 and 10 %.
But when different sources have identical numbers, and some even have identical articles, word by word, does not add to credibility of the data. quite the opposite actually

Here is my personal experience, I know about a dozen of people who drive EV only 2 that i know have EV only, one guy has 6 cars, 2 of which are ev, tesla x and lucid air. So the suggestion that 46% want to switch back (meaning they have no other car) does not seem right to me, 4-10% otoh a lot closer to the truth.