Even more LSHF-P beamshots (with the Fraen Optic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSWrightOC

Enlightened
Re: LSHF-P beamshots (with the Fraen LP Optic)

gorkon,

Would you say the LHSF-P and LSH-P are different enough to justify not trying to find an LSL-P for close-up or otherwise wider flood operation?

I too ordered an LSHF-P, waiting for the %$!& FedEx shipment to arrive /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

gorkon

Newly Enlightened

Probably not, as although I haven't witnessed an LSL myself, from what I have read here, it is probably better for close up and indoor stuff.

I already had an LSH-P and it was a tough decision to plunk down more cash less than 2 months later for the LSHF-P. The difference between the beams, makes owning both worthwhile.

With the spill and the hotspot, the LSH-P is a good general indoor/outdoor light, while the LSHF-P performs well outside and like someone said above, 20ft or so and beyond.

BTW: The 3-Day fedex will actually arrive in much less than 3 days. I ordered late Tuesday (10:00pm) and it arrived Thursday - not bad for 5 bucks.

gorkon

Newly Enlightened

I also had a chance to test out the LSHF-P some more and using my distant, white painted shed, at about 75 feet away, the difference outdoors between the LSH-P and LSHF-P is substantial. The beamshots above are really right on.

With the LSH-P, only part of the shed was lit brightly, while a dimmer glow was barely visible on it and the foreground. With the LSHF-P, the entire shed was lit up and slightly more (maybe 20% more) brightly, while the foreground was dark.

Also, I swapped batteries, putting the fresh shipped Duracell in the LSH-P and a half-used SF in the LSHF-P. Regulation is wonderful.

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Interesting...

Just got mine.

I thought it would just be a variation on the same light, but after playing with it for a while, it is more like a different light.

I will have to spend some more time with both of them to see which one I like better.

The beam pattern of the LSH-P works well for me. I also like the beam pattern of my TigerLights. The beam from the LSHF-P is more like the Baby Pin, but not quite as bright. The L4 has both a large hot spot and some spill.

I guess I like them all...

Tom

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic

Well, I'm sure there's a place and time for the LSHPF, however I haven't been able to find it. The additional throw over the LSHP vs. the lack of sidespill just doesn't make this a pratical light for me. I'm fearfull that any newbies to ARC who purchase the LSHPF without experiencing the LSHP are not going to enjoy all the benefits of owning an ARC LS.

Mattman

Enlightened

TIN, you're probably right about that in a way...maybe they won't get the close-up flood that many of us talk about, but I'm sure that some of them would just be looking to replace their incandescent lights, which the LSHF-P beam more closely resembles. This is a tough situation because most people can't afford to buy multiple $150 lights, so they don't know what they've got until they get it in their hands. Let's hope they all pop in here and ask a few questions before they buy!

Marty Weiner

Flashlight Enthusiast

Now I'm really torn. Since the LSHF-P is my first LS, I'm wondering if I should return it for a LSH-P because of it's
lack of sidespill or if I should just get my money back.

I've got a couple of long throw lights and really like them but the small size of the LS and the lack of sidespill make it less than desireable.

Tormented in L.A. (Marty)

Dave Wright

Enlightened

Can anyone verify the beam spread angle of the Fraen Arc LS? I could then compare it with my Impact II, another low spill light, to figure out if I should buy or pass on the Fraen. TIA if anyone can help!

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Dave Wright
The LSHF-P is much brighter than a Impact (sorry I don't have Impact II) and has more spill light by far than the Impact. I recommend that you buy the LSHF-P. I've been using a LSHF-P for my EDC for about a week and the only time I miss the LSH-P(with more spill) is when I'm using it at very close range(maybe two feet). Another consideration is the LSHF-P is limited production and if you wait you might miss out. I hope this helps.

Dave Wright

Enlightened

H, Yes, thanks for the input. Recent discussion has me worried about its limited use. Would you happen to know how broad the beam is at a known distance from a wall? Thanks, Dave

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Mattman said:
...maybe they won't get the close-up flood that many of us talk about, but I'm sure that some of them would just be looking to replace their incandescent lights, which the LSHF-P beam more closely resembles.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW I just came across an LED light that REALLY resembles an incandescent. The Xtreme light 1-Watt LED has a very focussed hotspot with considerable sidespill (at distance).
The beam is a lot like my Scorpion on its tightest focus only much whiter.

Link to Review

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

Dave Wright
I measured as best I could.
LSHF-P 19.5" at 36"
LSH-P 36.5" at 36"
The LSHF-P seems to have a larger hot spot. It seems to be almost all hot spot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dave Wright

Enlightened

Thanks Hoghead. I traded a couple e-mails with Peter too. He also measured the beam. His numbers were somewhat more narrow than yours. The LSHF-P uses Fraen's narrow (10 degree) optic. My Impact II beam is 10 degrees and, even imagining it at full LS strength, it's too narrow for general use.

Good news! Turns out that the Fraen optic may be called "10 degree" but it casts a beam that is wider than that. Using Peter's measurements I figured out a total 17 degree spread. That's a good balance of spread and throw. Maybe Fraen's 10 degrees is measured both sides of the beam centerline for a total of 20 degrees, and the 17 degree actual is on account of the actual die being somewhat smaller than the optic's focused image.

Likebright

Enlightened

I have just received mine and am pleased with it. It take all that weak side spill and channels it into one big glob of light which I really hesitate to call throw but rather one big batch of flat even light.
Very USEFUL light!
Thanks again Peter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.