Ever had corrosion inside a brand new light?

GoVegan

Enlightened
So I purchased a new Streamlight Microstream 35 lumens model from Amazon.com, it arrived at the end of last week, and I put a new Energizer alkaline AAA inside it and didn't notice until 4 days later when I was checking the inside that there are several small (roughly 5mm in size) spots of what appears to be blackened and rough spots of corrosion (aluminum oxidation?) inside the body/tube.
I'm almost certain that it was not from the battery, as the battery was not installed from the factory, the battery was new, and I haven't used the light for more than 2 mins total during those 4 days. Also there is no corrosion on either the + contact inside the body nor on the rear spring. So I am in no doubt that this light came from the factory in China with such cosmetic damage.

I decided to return it with an explanation to Amazon for a replacement, but I'm disappointed that my favorite updated light wasn't perfect first time round.

Would you have returned it for a replacement?
Have you ever had any corrosion (or blackened rough areas) inside what should normally be a nice shinny aluminum tube straight out of the package?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
If an alkaleak battery was in the light, sure, its quite common as a problem.

If poorly manufactured, there can also be defects in interior finish, say from poor cleaning/rinsing during manufacture, etc.

Latest posts