EX10 (1xCR123A) and D10 (1xAA) Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Just Received the Nitecore EX10

One thing though, after playing with it for a few, I stuck it in my pocket for maybe a 2 hours or so, went to fire it up and nothing. Unscrewed it, screwed it, let it sit for a few, worked the plunger a bit, still nothing. Was using a fresh surefire battery, still good till 01/2013, but threw another one in, "and then there was light". I'll let it sit for another 2-3 and we'll try her again:shrug:

Is it easy to get switched on in the pocket? (no lockout mode?)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I don't like sending items in for warranty unless they functionally need it. If I send something in for an aesthetic issue, it will only be for a major issue. Maybe some people consider this a major issue, but I don't really...
Maybe I'm a pretty easy going light addict...

I had the light a few hours before I even noticed. I had to take a couple different pictures for it to show up that well in a photo.

I wouldn't fault QC at all for not noticing something like this.

Your call, however I think you're making a mistake.

Haz

Enlightened
For those who have both lights, is the EX10 brighter than the D10?
and if you were to choose one, which one will you choose and why?
I notice it was mentioned the stainless steel bezel sticked out a bit, so may be rather rough to the touch. Do you think it might be better without the bezel then?, thanks.

SomeoneSomewhere

Newly Enlightened
Take my opinion for what it's worth (not much) but I would rather the D10. Ignoring any sort of argument about battery types I would say that anything shorter than the D10 would be difficult for me to use in certain positions. I don't have large hands but they are by no means small and a D10 is almost too short. Gripping the D10 with my thumb on the tail works great but I can't imagine doing it with anything shorter.

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of beam shots @ 32'

NiteCore Smart PD D10 1AA 14500 @ 32'

ND10037Small.jpg

Nitecore Defender Infinity 1AA 14500 @ 32'

ND10038Small.jpg

TOTC

Newly Enlightened
Your call, however I think you're making a mistake.
Out of curiosity, are you of that opinion because you think this will develop into a functional issue, or because you just think that a product should be in better shape when it arrives?
I.E. is your objection based on principle, or functional concern?

I'm just wondering.

To satisfy my own curiosity, I did a submersion test with my D10. I submerged it in about 6 inches of water in the sink and let it sit for 15 minutes. No water got in at any point.

I know that's not a very tough submersion test, but it's good enough for me. I'm never taking this thing swimming: I just wanted to know it could survive a drop into shallow water or nasty weather.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I got my EX10 today and I must say that I am disappointed. It will not latch on when the head is totally screwed down. It will come on when I press the piston, but as soon as my thumb leaves the button, the light goes off. I can only get a tactical mode out of it. I have emailed The Fenix-Store and I am sure that it will get take care of, but I am still not happy.
Adimag, we want to make sure you're happy. We already
replied to your
post on edcforums as well as responded to your PM and email. A replacement
for exchange is on the way to you. If you look at the brass contact ring inside
the head, there is a split in the ring. The gap needs to be slightly enlarged with
a tweezer or small flat-head screwdriver. But don't worry, another unit is
on the way to you so you won't need to do that. :p
I've tried to duplicate the emitter glow issue on my EX10, but cannot.

I'm not holding back my enthusiasm for this light, but perhaps my higher-end lights have jaded me somewhat. I will say that this light gives the best bang for the buck of any light I currently own -- but it's not the best light I own.

Other thoughts: The knurling seems just right. The tailstand with lanyard attached is cool. Button seems stiff, but I haven't cleaned and lubed it yet. Finish is flawless. Seems like the UI catches on with use -- simple enough, complex enough, elegant enough.
You will need to send that light back if it has an "after glow." NiteCore QC
reports about 0.5% having this issue. We will swap out that unit for you no
problem. Please email [email protected]. Thanks.
I noticed a small issue with my D10 which I didn't see before. It would seem that the o-ring at the lens wasn't quite set in place when the light was assembled. The green arrow points to a portion where the o-ring is fully seated and not really visible. The red arrows point to where it seems 'squeezed out' a little... and you can see the left section is even frayed a little.

If this is only an aesthetic issue, I don't really care. It takes pretty careful observation to notice and doesn't impact the beam at all. I'm not much of a nitpicker.

The only thing that concerns me about it is whether the water resistance is compromised. Opinions?
There should be no problems with water resistance. This is due to
the small movement of the oring when the light was assembled. If there
are any indications of water leakage, we'll exchange the light.

:D

edc3

Enlightened
Take my opinion for what it's worth (not much) but I would rather the D10. Ignoring any sort of argument about battery types I would say that anything shorter than the D10 would be difficult for me to use in certain positions. I don't have large hands but they are by no means small and a D10 is almost too short. Gripping the D10 with my thumb on the tail works great but I can't imagine doing it with anything shorter.

When using momentary on the EX10 in the "tacticool" grip, my hand covers the front of the light a little. But it's very easy to activate momentary with a cigar grip. And the tradeoff is that it is a VERY pocketable light.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast

pekcle

Newly Enlightened
My package came with the box all smashed up. Luckily, the light was not damaged. This is a really great light. I would have liked a glowing tip on the lanyard like on the NDI.

It is a bit tight but that's not a big deal. If I could change one thing, I would make the click-click switch instantly to high, and click-hold go to low.

I like the white o-rings. Where can i find those?

Thanks 4sevens!

Zeige

Enlightened
Just a heads up... Over in the MP 4sevens posted we will be able to order Clips for the lights, as well as new pistons with Trits! :thumbsup:

4sevens
user_offline.gif

Dealer1.gif

icon1.gif
Re: Introducing the NiteCore Smart PD System !! PART 2
Just a quick note... Clips are being designed for these lights as well as pistons
with trits
smile.gif
We'll sell them as accessories in our store
tongue.gif
Pistons with trits
will be limited run since they're a bit more pricey to keep in stock
tongue.gif

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
clips will be nice then i can have mine in my pocket without worrying about it falling out

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Re: Just Received the Nitecore EX10

With my piston I don't see how it can turn it's self on in the pocket. :shrug:

It seems to stiff for that. Which I thought was either intentional or a happy accident.

Watchguy

Newly Enlightened
Only problem with a clip is that my pocket wont last very long. I'm sure it'll get sandpapered down to nothing.

Where could I find a small holster with a clip? Then I could still wear it inside my pocket like like I do with my Benchmade knife.

Talas

Newly Enlightened
Wow! I figured I'd be one of the last one's to get their package but it was in the mailbox this morning all the way out here in Hawaii! Ordered both and love the UI! Can't add much to all the praise already given. My EX10 came with a major blemish... looks like the edge of a grinding wheel hit the body near the tailcap... and it got anodized over. Kinda bugs me but doesn't affect the function and I'll probably add to it since I intend to use it. Thanks hitting this one out of the park 4-Sevens!

coloradogps

Flashlight Enthusiast
My EX10 came in today.

No problems, looks great!

Thanks, 4sevens!

:twothumbs :twothumbs :twothumbs :twothumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.