EX10 Question

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
Just wondering how prone to accidental activation the EX10 and plunger switch is?

I'm looking to replace my old P2D and I will be carrying the light in my right jeans pocket with keys on top of it. This has caused my light to accidentally turn on twice in it's lifetime.

Will the EX10 with the momentary capability be more troublesome?

gbelleh

Newly Enlightened
I have an EX10 on the way, that I bought to replace my LF3XT and Quark AA for EDC. I carry with a pocket clip, but the LF3XT turns on when clipped in my pocket constantly (it also falls out all the time due to the flimsy clip). I love the LF3XT's beam and UI, but the constant turning on, and flimsy pocket clip are a real bummer for EDC. So, I switched to the Quark AA, but I don't like its UI for EDC use.

So, I hope the EX10 doesn't have the same problems. I haven't heard of accidental activation being an issue with this light, but I'd be interested to hear others' experiences. I ordered, and plan to install the pocket clip.

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been carrying mine for a year..never had it turn on. They take a good bit of pressure to operate...breaking in after a few months. You must use it a lot when you first get it..don't let the initial stiffness worry you too much.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
absolutely love my EX10 with clip, it fits so securely in my office trousers, and the clip looks cool too. Best is when non-flashaholics see the light and are astounded by the output. Then when you show them how it can ramp up and down, it gets even better.

No issues with the light turning on by itself either. If you're worried about the light activating, just loosen the head a quarter turn and it will be in momentary mode at whatever level the light has been set to and it cannot accidentally be turned on. That would seldom happen if you have it clipped though.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had any accidental activation for both EX10 and D10. If it makes you feel better, employ lock-out by simply unscrewing the head by half a turn.

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
I now have a bunch of lamps but the EX10 may be my all time favorite edc, mine has turned on a few times but it always lets you know as you start to feel a strong burning sensation to your leg. That was probably caused by coins or keys, I try not to put anything else in the same pocket these days. I finally put a clip on but just to keep it from rolling away or falling off the nightstand. Same thing with the D10, it's also grown on me.:hitit:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about all of you guys but both my side pockets are stuffed. Left side would be my pretty huge mobile phone and on the right would be my coins and keys. Rear pockets I have my wallet and name card holder. So that left me no choice but to place my EDC light with my coins and keys.

I EDC my D10 in my right pocket and once in a while I carried the EX10 instead. I have not had EX10 switching on in my pocket yet, maybe due to the fact that I hardly carried it out in view of the slightly fatter built, but I do encounter 3 occasions in the last 1 year or more where the D10 came on in my pocket. I found it out when I started getting this itch on my thigh and realized that my pocket has gotten pretty hot.

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
I've managed to turn on my D10 accidentally. Gets pretty warm for a single AA. I've since learned to untwist the head 1/2-3/4 turn to keep it from doing that, but putting it in its own pocket (w/o keys) would probably work just as well.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
The amount of travel the D10 piston has to do is really little compared to the Ex10.

Crenshaw

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Crenshaw,

I am not too sure about that. All my D10s and EX10s felt the same in terms of piston travel. What I have are D10 Q5 and GDP, and also EX10 Q5 and GDP. They all felt the same.

Am I missing something here?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
The amount of travel the D10 piston has to do is really little compared to the Ex10.

Crenshaw

Hi Crenshaw,

I am not too sure about that. All my D10s and EX10s felt the same in terms of piston travel. What I have are D10 Q5 and GDP, and also EX10 Q5 and GDP. They all felt the same.

Am I missing something here?

Piston travel is all about battery length (and some about spring tension)

Moonshadow

Enlightened
As some have already said, the Nitecores have a lock-out to stop this happening. I always loosen the head a quarter turn and have never had a problem. It's really no inconvenience either - just takes a moment.

What I'm more concerned about is all the stuff you guys have in your pockets !! What can bump into the tailcap can also bump into the lens, and if it's getting bumped hard enough to switch the light on, what's that going to do to the glass at the other end ?

I don't like clips, lanyards or holsters, so I too usually carry my EDC light in a pocket - but I usually manage to find a pocket without loads of extra junk in it !

batmanacw

Enlightened
My EX10 switch is stiffer than my D10, but neither of them have come on accidentally. I use my right pocket for my light and pocket knife. Nothing in there that would activate my light.

nbp

Flashaholic
I've had mine turn on once or twice in my pocket. Not much considering all the times I've had it in there. I always just double click to the lowest setting before putting it in my pocket, so if it does turn on, it won't use too much juice. And then check it periodically throughout the day when I go in the pocket for something else.