experience with speed queen washing machines?

Poppy

Flashaholic
We have a whirlpool plant in the city here but it wasn't here all the time. As for bypassing circuitry it would be a big hassle because washing machines agitate, spin, pump water out, spray water in, fill water to a certain level and all of these would have to be done manually without some switches and timers and such.
So True! Yeah, have you ever looked at the wiring diagram and the output of a timer switch for a washer? You're not going to hot wire that baby.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
There might be a way, but it will have to be supervised and timed instead of going off and letting the washer do its thing. There must be a relay that kicks the transmission into spin cycle. Both spin and wash cycles would be wide open and a reset breaker will need to be on the motor like the maytags from the 1940s. That is what my parents had on into the 80s. Got my fingers caught in that seperate wringer a time or two.

Everything's auto on these modern washers, but there has to be a way to make them manual. I'm sure it can be done. I don't know if I'm smart enough to do it without a detailed schematic.....or with one.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
It would be way too much trouble if you could wire switches in to control everything you would still have to babysit the machine and time everything switching from filling the machine and cutting off the water flow and then turning on the transmission and starting the agitation then draining the water and turn it on to spin for awhile where it squirts water in while spinning and then fabric softener and rinse and so on. One would have to study the cycle to figure out how long to do each action.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm talking about putting a toggle switch on the wash cycle and then cutting it off and having a toggle to energize the relay for the spin cycle. It might not be that simple, but if you understand the inner workings and you had enough spare time and like to fiddle with stuff it's possible.

As far as filling goes- we were filling our washer from a garden hose from our water well before we just recently got our city water (yuc) back on. My wife knew about how long it took to fill and how it sounded as it was near full.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Far as cycles go- auto washers of the past usually timed the wash cycle at 20 minutes and maybe 10 for the rinse cycle. The two spin/drain cycles at about 10 minutes....maybe 5. It wouldn't take long though to manually figure out what suits your needs.

If a person can do all that they could start their own repair service though. I still think the old whirlpool washers are the simplest to work on and get parts for. Seems like the speed queen washers have rust issues.

Poppy

Flashaholic
There might be a way, but it will have to be supervised and timed instead of going off and letting the washer do its thing. There must be a relay that kicks the transmission into spin cycle. Both spin and wash cycles would be wide open and a reset breaker will need to be on the motor like the maytags from the 1940s. That is what my parents had on into the 80s. Got my fingers caught in that seperate wringer a time or two.

Everything's auto on these modern washers, but there has to be a way to make them manual. I'm sure it can be done. I don't know if I'm smart enough to do it without a detailed schematic.....or with one.

It would be way too much trouble if you could wire switches in to control everything you would still have to babysit the machine and time everything switching from filling the machine and cutting off the water flow and then turning on the transmission and starting the agitation then draining the water and turn it on to spin for awhile where it squirts water in while spinning and then fabric softener and rinse and so on. One would have to study the cycle to figure out how long to do each action.

I'm talking about putting a toggle switch on the wash cycle and then cutting it off and having a toggle to energize the relay for the spin cycle. It might not be that simple, but if you understand the inner workings and you had enough spare time and like to fiddle with stuff it's possible.

As far as filling goes- we were filling our washer from a garden hose from our water well before we just recently got our city water (yuc) back on. My wife knew about how long it took to fill and how it sounded as it was near full.

Far as cycles go- auto washers of the past usually timed the wash cycle at 20 minutes and maybe 10 for the rinse cycle. The two spin/drain cycles at about 10 minutes....maybe 5. It wouldn't take long though to manually figure out what suits your needs.
If a person can do all that they could start their own repair service though. I still think the old whirlpool washers are the simplest to work on and get parts for. Seems like the speed queen washers have rust issues.

NONE of these posts help in selecting a washing machine.

Instead, they are lessons on how to derail a thread.
Lynx_Arc , not you.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was only sharing some ideals poppy, like you just shared your opinion. You got me started by saying "it can't be done" and I argued it could- kind of long winded like, but the thread is about chosing a washer and drier and I contributed and even shared some ideals about fixing and modding them. I did say that the speed queen washers- the best I could get in the past had rust issues. It worked till it didn't. I replaced the timer and fixed the other one, so I have a spare. Now I just need to replace a clear plastic hose that has something to do with it filling up. Maybe a weed eater fuel hose would work or go back to the garden hose. I guess I'll go back to it when the whirlpool fails.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never tried amana stuff, but if I ever need a washer or dryer and I can get one of those used for a good price I might bite since poppy had good service out of one.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I don't know if a washer can be straight wired though if the board goes out on it. If that is my only choice I might have to go back to the primitive rubbing board and clothes line. I hate new fangled gadgets when the old style worked just fine.

You need one of these.

turbodog

Flashaholic
I wonder if the ones used by the laundromats are available to the general public. When I got my speed queen set money wasn't an issue at all and I tried to get the best dog gonest washer and drier set known to man.

From my current reading, the SQ brand has commercial units for home... same as in laundromat but without the coin slot.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Looks like we are going with the TR5 series... maybe tr5003 something something.

Manual controls. Lids does lock, but it waits till after the tub is filled. NO high efficiency crap.

Mom purchased this one last November. She loves it. Best washing machine she's ever owned. :thumbsup:

Rt254L0.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
(fingers crossed) my Kenmore pair from the days of the VCR are still going, and when they finally do play I'll buy a Speed Queen because that's what laundramat's use.

I've gotta be honest when I first saw the title I thought "hmmm, crack attic hooker?"
Welp, today was the day my old Kenmore quit. It did the agitator thing, then spun, then fill and went it was time to agitate again I heard "gggrrrrrrrr" teeth grinding sound. Transmission finally quit. It had been clunking into gear, scratching between gears and just sounding good and worn out.
RIP old Kenmore.

I looked online at the box stores $500-1200 numbers with a bunch of buttons and wifi. Why do I need wifi on a washing machine? Oh they looked sexy enough but life is complicated enough.

My local appliance store has some $500-1200 gadgets and gizmos too. But they also have 3 speed queen models with knobs. And no wifi. Yup no big brother snooping how many gallons of water I use to wash clothes to lower my esg score and no washer won't work after a firmware upgrade.

Being my closet is small I opted for the entry level size for the same reason I picked a 2 burner gas grill. Large enough fill my needs. The store also sells comercial washers with or without coin slots. But what I bought was made in Wisconsin and has lots of user serviceable parts. It aint sexy, no. But it's quiet, easy on the clothes and does a great job at cleaning them. The 800+ rpm spin means less time in the dryer too. So for a little more I may have bought a washer that will be left in my will & testament.

Edit; 2 loads done. Wow, this aint your father's Maytag. The old Kenmore you turn it on and "Shpirrrrrrrrrr" water starts rushing in like from a fire hose. Load it with clothes but hurry up 'cause the train leaves in 3 minutes. It starts to agitate as the rafter shake, then rinse. More "shpiiirrrrrr" fire hose sound. Then spin, more rafter shaking, rinse, repeat. Then it stops. Like suddenly the locomotive sounds are gone. But that was a typical washing machine my entire life.

This new thing? It fills nice and gentle like it's watering flowers, agitates quietly for about 30 seconds to settle the load. It then adds a bit more water. The only sound the agitation makes is the gentle splashing sound as it silently moves back and forth. Like waves of a river quietly striking a boat in the harbor. It picks up a little like a boat wake increased the size the waves as it increases agitation intensity. Then after 15 minutes or so the machine hums about like a refrigerator compressor while it empty's for a few minutes. Then that sounds morphs into a gentle hum as it spins at 800+ rpms without any vibrations. None. Amazing.

While it spins it douses the load briefly with a spritz of water. Then spins nearly silently. Aside from when it pumps water out before a spin it sounds like one of those nature sounds machines. And when done the clothes weigh a lot less than they did coming from that older machine.
I could get used to this. I mean, Mrs Fixer and I were sitting 5 feet from the machine and aside from the hum as it pumped water out we hardly knew it was running. Next room? You don't even know it's running until the "beep" tone tells you it's finished.

Last edited: