Exploding Flashlights

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your warning!

I always thought that rechargeable batteries are dangerous, not primaries. That's why I use CR123A only. It looks like I'm mistaken here.
A solution to this might be to drill a very small hole and close it with a piece of rubber?

Last edited:

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found several threads here about drilling holes... the best thing to do is probably
1. only pair same brand, same year batteries
2. check the voltage of the batteries before they go into the flashlight
3. don't remove the batteries until they're replaces

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
the problem is not CR123 Lithium Primaries, nor 16340 LiIon, the real problem is using more than ONE in a light.

If you must use a light that requires Two CR123 Primaries, make sure they are both the same brand, and both new. Do not mix partly discharged cells with fully charged cells.

Better yet, instead of using two CR123 or 16340, use ONE 16650 instead.
Read more about that here
"BATTERY WARNING: The QUARK QK16L MKIII will accept 2xCR123 or 2xRCR123 batteries. However, we STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST THEIR USE. Catastrophic failure can occur when one of the two cells is not functioning correctly, causing thermal runaway in the other cell. There is a significant risk of fire and/or explosion when using two cells."

FWIW
I choose not to own any lights that require multiple batteries.
My lights use only ONE battery at a time.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I choose not to own any lights that require multiple batteries.
My lights use only ONE battery at a time.

That's the safest way for sure.

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I walk around with two 8 x 18650 lights, one in each hand. Two X65, or two GT94, or MS18 and R90TS, or MF05 and MT90Plus. The risk of one cell, extrapolated to sixteen cells, must be huge. Even though I don't smoke, drink or drug, ride motorcycle or eat fast food, I am not long for this world, because I like shoulder-fired flashlights.

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sometimes I walk around with two 8 x 18650 lights, one in each hand. Two X65, or two GT94, or MS18 and R90TS, or MF05 and MT90Plus. The risk of one cell, extrapolated to sixteen cells, must be huge. Even though I don't smoke, drink or drug, ride motorcycle or eat fast food, I am not long for this world, because I like shoulder-fired flashlights.

You know you're a flashaholic when......

Great post Ozy! Lots of talk about this stuff as of late.

Jon it is interesting to hear your take on that, definitely a good way to KISS (and we can replace 'stupid' with 'safe'!)

I tend to dedicate cells to a light, so this means any multi-cell light I buy the batteries they use will all come from the same batch (from Illumn or Liionwholesale) and every new batch I mark with a different indicator. I use slashes for Illumn bought cells, and dots for Liion ones. I can look at any cell and roughly know when and where I bought it, and if it's going to be safe in series with it's brethren!

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
Thanks for the good post.

however, this happened last year, battery was depleted before this happen but I still spend a good half a days to clean up and get rid of the fumes from my house, and the next few days using IPA solutions to rubbing off all the black residual from under my table, and wifey's nagging while cleaning it... :mecry:

LuUPCxF.jpg

so my take-away from this indicent is thermal-runaway could happen to single-cell setup too given the right circumstances, and a quick way to turn a black anodized aluminum body into a sexy brown one.

edit: no speculations of how this happen, it is what it is. I'm still using batteries from the same manufacturer, I'm still using illumination tools from the same manufacturer.

Last edited:

olddogrib

Newly Enlightened
Okay, we have contradictory claims here....can this happen in a single cell primary light or not? And while you're at it clarify whether it can happen in lights using multiple cell rechargeables?

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
One single primary and it was already depleted? How is that possible?

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
With all the expertise on this site why am I only "hearing crickets"?

Batteries or cells, are little storage boxes for large amounts of energy. Some larger than others. If you dump their entire contents all at once, even if it's not completely full, you might be surprised at the results. There are always other aspects to consider in these sorts of occurrences, such as inflammability of other components, pressure build up, ignition point of maybe other components. Imagine if we some day are using tiny portable nuclear fusion generators to power our portable electronic devices.

olddogrib

Newly Enlightened
Well that's reassuring. I think I'm going back to my good ol' dual fuel Coleman lantern....Lord knows nothing catastrophic will happen with white gas, lol!

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Amaloops in all my lights, all of which except 2 are single cell AA or AAA.

My choice in fuel type is driven purely by the fact I can get them anywhere.

Fuchshp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, I spent some time reading newbies thread. The amount of testing he did is quite impressive. I really do need to get one of those battery testers. They're rather expensive. But it's money well spent if you could prevent a potentially serious accident.